• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favorite westerns.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Great list! Some comments:

Wanna know how NOT to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? DON'T watch it as background at a cowboy-themed party. I get the impression that if I saw it by myself, I'd love it; but it's not remotely appropriate for party-showing. Too quiet, and John Wayne's "Dude!" is just too eminently mockable. I gotta watch it again sometime.

Unforgiven is my favorite Clint Eastwood movie, and just all-round a fantastic show.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly has not, in my opinion, aged very well. I watched it a few weeks ago, and while there were a few really great scenes, most of it just left me flat. Great soundtrack, though.

Now for two that you unforgiveably left off your list. Well, given that I'm cheating a little to put them on, I guess I can forgive you.

Deadwood, the HBO show. It's unbroken obscenity in iambic pentameter, but it's got some of the most compelling characters I've seen on a screen. And a fantastic line for a D&D game: "For a base of operations, you can't beat a F******* saloon!"

Blood Meridian, the novel, by Cormac McCarthy. It's horrorshow, a bleak, nightmarish, spectacular account of a band of Indian-killers travelling through Mexico. Beautifully written and absolutely appalling.

Daniel

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Most of my Western tastes have been sated by Louis L'amour's books, but there have been quite a few movies I liked, too. The Kirk Douglas/Burt Lancaster Gunfight at O.K. Corral is one of my favorites, and I've got to get around to seeing Tombstone one of these days so I can compare Douglas' and Kilmer's Doc Hollidays. Unforgiven and The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly are both good. I enjoyed quite a few John Wayne movies when I was younger, but sadly I don't remember many of them.

Thanee

First Post
Two Mules For Sister Sara
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Unforgiven
Maverick
Dances With Wolves
Young Guns

Bye
Thanee

Jonas Grumby

First Post
One of my favorites not mentioned is John Wayne's The Shootist.

It's the story of an old gunfighter who finds out that he is dying.

It was John Wayne's last film.

He knew that he had terminal lung cancer while filming.

Arguably the Duke's truest performance.

Last edited:

Templetroll

Explorer
Western comedies

"The Rounders" Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda Modern day cowpokes trying to get in a rodeo and win some money. Chill Wills is the friendliest sleazeball ever.

"Cheyenne Social Club" Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda Jimmy's character inherits a whorehouse run by Shirley Jones (!) Henry is his best buddy who just happens to travel along hundreds of miles.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Templetroll said:
Western comedies

"The Rounders" Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda Modern day cowpokes trying to get in a rodeo and win some money. Chill Wills is the friendliest sleazeball ever.

"Cheyenne Social Club" Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda Jimmy's character inherits a whorehouse run by Shirley Jones (!) Henry is his best buddy who just happens to travel along hundreds of miles.
How can you bring up western comedies and forget to mention Blazing Saddles? :D

Remove ads