D&D 5E Your First Reaction to the 5E Announcement

What was your first reaction to the 5E announcement? Choose the closest fit.

• "Hooray! New toys!"

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • "YES! FINALLY!"

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • "Hmm. That's interesting."

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • "Whatever. I play something else now."

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • "Oh no! What about 4E?"

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • "Aw man, not THIS crap again..."

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • "The NERVE of these people!"

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm curious what everyone's reaction was to the news. What immediately went through your mind when you heard that WotC was developing a 5th Edition of Dungeons and Dragons?

I realize that there are infinite possibilities here, and I can't really list them all. Just pick the option that best fits your reaction.

"Hooray! New Toys!" (excitement)
"YES! FINALLY!" (relief)
"Hmm. That's interesting" (curiosity)
"Whatever. I play something else now." (disinterest)
"Oh no! What about 4E?!" (panic)
"Aw man, not THIS crap again..." (fatigue)
"The NERVE of these people!" (anger)

Last edited:

malkav666

First Post
TBH, I was kind of indifferent. I want to like D&D but I really feel like they kind of lost the pulse with 4e. In discussing 5e on the internet and in person with fellow hobbyists over the past week I have moved tentatively into the "looking at the release favorably, but trying not to get excited about the edition until I see some playtest data".

The goals they set for the edition seem lofty indeed. I would love to see them meet them. And I would like to have an in print edition of the game I cut my gaming teeth on that is relevant to me again. But time will tell. I think I will have a stronger position about my feeling of the release after the demo material from DNDXP hits the net.

love,

malkav

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
Somewhere between "Hmm. That's interesting" and "Hooray! New Toys!" The former from more of a meta-perspective of the D&D brand history, and the latter due to new mechanics I can rummage and pilfer.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I voted "Relief." I was relieved to learn that Wizards of the Coast was moving on from the 4th Edition, and that they were going to utilize public input in the process. I think it will produce a superior product.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
A 50/50 mix of 'Yes! Finally!' and 'Oh no, what about 4e [players]?'

Followed by a reaction not on the poll: 'What if it's already too late to save D&D?'

I would be hard pressed to say that I care about 4e the game, but, having been one of the 3.X folks that WotC tried to leave behind, I am more concerned with the players.

I really hope that they do not try to do to 4e what they tried to do to 3.X.

The Auld Grump

KarinsDad

Adventurer
My issue is the timing.

I've spent many hundreds of dollars on 4E and suddenly 3+ years later, it's not good enough??? What about all of that hype when 4E came out? Were they just kidding?

I think each new edition should come out about a decade after the previous one, not a half decade. JMO. :(

On the other hand, if they backpedal a bit from 4E and actually do try to come up with the best of all of the versions, then I might change my opinion here. But, they'd better darn well check out the math up, down, left, right, inside, and out.

Jack7

First Post
I saw it here first, and with all the edition wars talk just thought it was a joke. Not until I saw this forum and then noticed the little 5E Info tag did I really believe it.

I'm hopeful though that it works out and works out well.

Incenjucar

Legend
My reaction was basically "Nobody's Wisdom score is that low!"

The L&L articles killed my original comfort with the notion of 5th edition. The fact that they did it at the exact right time to kill the elemental power source made it all the worse, as that was the promise that kept me warm through the troublesome times.

That this will basically ruin the last vestiges of confidence in WotC's stability, making people that much more paranoid of investing in the game, was my immediate secondary reaction.

The game will be what it will be, and for my fellow gamers, if not for myself, I'll do what I can to push the game toward better ends, but I have a feeling that it will be hard for me to build up any sense of passion for the game henceforth.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I could have answered most of those poll options. On some level, it was yes, finally, mistakes are being admitted, and the company may be trying to do something positive about them.

OTOH, I'm so many years removed from purchasing D&D products and I've got such a good thing going I'm hard pressed to be really interested in it.

OTOH, I wasn't active during the early 4e days, so I'm interested to take a hack at solving the real problems of the game in a non-edition-war context.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
My issue is the timing.

I've spent many hundreds of dollars on 4E and suddenly 3+ years later, it's not good enough??? What about all of that hype when 4E came out? Were they just kidding?

I think each new edition should come out about a decade after the previous one, not a half decade. JMO. :(

On the other hand, if they backpedal a bit from 4E and actually do try to come up with the best of all of the versions, then I might change my opinion here. But, they'd better darn well check out the math up, down, left, right, inside, and out.
But what was your first reaction? It's kinda hard to tell from your post.

Remove ads