D&D 5E Your First Reaction to the 5E Announcement

What was your first reaction to the 5E announcement? Choose the closest fit.

• "Hooray! New toys!"

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • "YES! FINALLY!"

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • "Hmm. That's interesting."

Votes: 37 37.4%
  • "Whatever. I play something else now."

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • "Oh no! What about 4E?"

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • "Aw man, not THIS crap again..."

Votes: 14 14.1%
  • "The NERVE of these people!"

Votes: 0 0.0%

Wormwood

Adventurer
Irritation that attention would be divided between my beloved 4e and the new shiny.

Excitement at the possibilities of an open beta.

Existential horror at the prospect of edition warriors coming out of retirement.

the Jester

Legend
I put "Hooray! New Toys!", but want to be clear that I really enjoy 4e and have no intention of winding up my campaign before its time.

That may change when 5e/DnDN/whatevertheycallit arrives, though, and I'm sure I'm gonna want to play a bunch of it right away regardless of any other factors.

mkill

Adventurer
First reaction: "Oh, that guy was right." There was a post here on Enworld a few weeks before where someone complained "What is Monte doing at WotC? He must be working on a new edition"

Second reaction: "Are they nuts?" There should be at least 8 years between each big number, simply because each edition takes a while to mature.

Third reaction: "Ok, let's check it out" Well, turns out there is absolutely nothing out there except "we're working on it".

Fourth reaction: "Don't screw this up again." I like 4E as a game, but there were so many screwups in the announcement and everything that I just didn't have faith that they would do a decent job this time.

Fifth reaction: "How would I do it?" This is where the geek kicked in. It's unlikely that 5E will be exactly like I would do it, but it's going to be interesting to compare.

Sixth reaction: "Let's see what others think" Hit the boards and read threads. This is where I am right now.

Ichneumon

First Post
My reaction was an amalgam of excitement at a new edition, wanting to know details on it, like, right now, and frustration that the finished product might still be an elephant's gestation away.

I then wondered whether I should still buy 4e material, and concluded that I'd be playing 4e for a while yet, and still needed Heroes of the Feywild in my life.

Stormonu

Legend
My first reaction was "Damn, I didn't think this would be announced for another year."

Swiftly followed by "Hey, this may be a chance to get some new D&D product, hooray!"

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
My first reaction was something like "5 months late, dammit!" - had they announced at last year's GenCon I'd have looked like a forecasting genius as that was my call for the preceding year or more.

I voted "relief", tempered with "wait and see", in that I'm not a fan of 3e or 4e as systems and worry 5e might be more of the same.

Lanefan

Remove ads