D&D 5E your fist level wizard has used their 2 spells. Now What?

Perhaps this? Add to Warlock, Sorceror and Wizard spell list. Maybe to Bard & Ranger?

Combat Insight
cantrip Divination
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (An obsidian arrowhead)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

Upon casting this spell, you gain a mystical martial insight. For the duration of your spell, melee or ranged attack rolls with weapons use your spellcasting modifier to hit and damage instead of Strength or Dexterity (respectively). However, you must use your entire focus for the attack and cannot use Extra Attack when gaining the benefit from this spell.

At Higher Levels: At 5th level, your attacks with weapons deal an extra 1d6 damage, based on the weapon type - bludgeoning, slashing or piercing. At 11th level they deal an extra 2d6 damage. At 15th level, weapon attacks deal an extra 3d6 damage.

Ideas to keep this from being exploitable with Arcane Trickster Sneak Attack & Paladin Smite (possibly as a Paladin-Warlock? Or is Concentration sufficient?
why yes, this is what we need... stronger casters.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Ideas to keep this from being exploitable with Arcane Trickster Sneak Attack & Paladin Smite (possibly as a Paladin-Warlock? Or is Concentration sufficient?
I'm not sure I'd be that worried about it - I might even not worry about Extra Attack. it's basically letting a martial type substitute in their Int/Wis or Cha for their martial attack score in exchange for 1 bonus action and their one Concentration spell they can keep maintained. There's not really a balance issue there is there? There might be some specific ideas for a character that would find it helpful but it doesn't at first glance look like something that would cheese up the place.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
It was just a thought as a compromise between the people who don't like "infinite laser beams" and the ones who want to use magic to attack with.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
ive used 2 spells shield and magic missile in my first combat. i have a cantrip that is somewhat useful but what does your low level wizard do when they dont have anything but cantrips left. What weapons do you take/equipment etc. What else do you do to help the party especially if theres back to back combat
Depending on the PC, it is likely either a quarterstaff or light crossbow, sometimes a dagger. Elves or Dwarves have more weapon options due to race, of course.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Grapple!

With how swingy the die is in D&D, just get proficiency in Athletic and you can grapple/shove most creature, since they dont have any skills most of the time!

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Grapple!

With how swingy the die is in D&D, just get proficiency in Athletic and you can grapple/shove most creature, since they dont have any skills most of the time!
This reminds of something I pointed out to a 3.x DM and he wasn't thrilled at all- most creatures didn't have Sense Motive, so you could Bluff just about any monster all day long...

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Minor Illusion cover for your allies, and allow your rogue to hide and attack your foes, and all sorts of fun stuff like that! There are entire videos on fun with minor illusion :)

Remove ads