• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Gas Price

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
They say this was do to the Colonial Pipeline that goes up the east coast is down due Katrina, we will see 5$ Thursday (if anyone still has any), Atlanta already has them, glad I filled up this morning! The good news is that the pipeline MAY be at 60% this weekend. I still think a lot of it is gouging but... :(

I wholeheartedly agree that there's price gouging going on. *grumblebitchmoan* What else could explain the SUDDEN hike in prices?!?!

Everyone should cut down as much as they can and try to show that we're not as dependent as they think we're are. I know I'm gonna have to cut back on how much I go places because I just can't afford to pay the gas prices anymore. My budget is skin-tight as it is without this drivel going on.

Bront

The man with the probe
I saw one place at 3.31 today. Across the street it was 2.99 though :/ Everywhere else, it was just slightly above normal, though one place was putting cones up in front of the pumps. Makes me wish I filled up yesterday at 2.69

Evil Monkey

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Y
On the way home from work, I saw prices from $3.09 to $4.99. Lines at the pumps were out into the streets. The idiots who believed there was a shortage actually managed to cause a shortage. Mob mentality.

This exact same thing happened in Phoenix, AZ last summer. A pipeline broke and word spread that there was going to be a shortage. This caused people to rush to the gas stations to fill up, thereby creating said shortage. It only lasted a weekend, but it was a real hassle. If you've never been to Phoenix, the public transit system is horrible (though not so bad as it used to be) so you pretty much HAVE to drive a car unless you enjoy standing on sidewalks in 110-degree heat and no shade (most of the time). After the pipeline was fixed, I heard that there had been enough gas in the first place, but because of people panicking they created the shortage themselves.

Back on topic, my manager came into the office an hour ago and said gas was $3.00/gallon. He drives a much nicer car than I do, though, so I don't know if that was for low-octane or the good stuff. He also told me he heard on the news that Hurricane Katrina was going to cause some pipelines to be shut down or something so that we may have to endure another "crisis" like last summer.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Darth K'Trava said:
What else could explain the SUDDEN hike in prices?!?!

Uh...simple supply and demand? You do realize that a sizeable percentage of our nation's refinery capacity is currently shut down and may have to be rebuilt, right?

Believe me, I understand the sticker shock at the pump. But it isn't "gouging" when there is a genuine shortage of a product.

KenM

Banned
Banned
Its around 2.89/ galllon where I am. 3 days ago it was 2.59. I saw on CNN that some places in GA had it to like 5.89/ gallon. That is gouging, IMO.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Rel said:
Uh...simple supply and demand? You do realize that a sizeable percentage of our nation's refinery capacity is currently shut down and may have to be rebuilt, right?

Believe me, I understand the sticker shock at the pump. But it isn't "gouging" when there is a genuine shortage of a product.
But there is not a stortage, there is a delay of a product to market due to a disaster. I know, stortage/delay not too different in words and yes there is a demand but price jump of 1$/2$ in 12 hours. This is why local governments freeze prices in event of disasters (or use to).

Numion

First Post
I don't even own a car. I'll buy one when I move out of the city center, maybe, or when I get incredibly rich somehow ;). The public transportation is actually pretty cool here in capital area in Finland. There's a useful net site that you can type in street adressess, when you want to leave (or when you want to be there) and it offers you three quickest options combining busses, trains, subway and whats the third rail thingy, a tram (?), complete with maps and detailed instructions.

Everything is even mostly on schedule :)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Numion said:
I don't even own a car. I'll buy one when I move out of the city center, maybe, or when I get incredibly rich somehow ;). The public transportation is actually pretty cool here in capital area in Finland. There's a useful net site that you can type in street adressess, when you want to leave (or when you want to be there) and it offers you three quickest options combining busses, trains, subway and whats the third rail thingy, a tram (?), complete with maps and detailed instructions.

Everything is even mostly on schedule :)
Yea, auto/oil companies/government screwed mass transportation up for us in the USA a long time ago. :(

Numion

First Post
Hand of Evil said:
Yea, auto/oil companies/government screwed mass transportation up for us in the USA a long time ago. :(

Still, mass transportation is a hard sale even here for some people. Some of my friends were pretty keen on getting a car the first opportunity they could afford it. The car taxes are pretty prohibitive here, though. Cars cost about over double what they cost in the US. (Pretty good equation: price in finland, in euros = 2 x car price in US, in dollars). Hence, the car fleet in Finland is on average 10,4 years old.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads