• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your most pointless TV/movie/book nitpicks

"Bones" is based on a book series written by an actual forensic scientist who, among other things, consults/consulted with police in Quebec. I would hope that they would get at least the science right.

Your hopes will not be met. They pretended to care about the science early on, and got consistently sloppier as time went on.

The one that really bothered me was when (spoilers?) Bones and Booth brought their newborn kid home and everyone important from the show was there. At one point Bones made some psuedo-smarypants statement about how being exposed to a variety of germs would help strengthen the kid's immune system. Which is generally not a bad philosophy, but is 100% terrible advice for new parents. Babies don't have a complete immune system until they're a few months old. Exposing newborns to unnecessary germs could be deadly.

ichabod

Legned
I thought of another one: Live Free or Die Hard. When they hack the transportation networks, they show the high tech D.C. Metro traffic control center. I was living in the D.C. area at the time and was just, "Oh, my ass. There's no way the transportation around here is run out of anything that nice."

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I thought of another one: Live Free or Die Hard. When they hack the transportation networks, the show the high tech D.C. Metro traffic control center. I was living in the D.C. area at the time and was just, "Oh, my ass. There's no way the transportation around here is run out of anything that nice."
Or the highway tunnel where they shut the lights off and everyone crashes into each other at very high speeds like cars dont have auto headlights. I wanted to point this one out earlier but the thread rules is a movie thats ok despite it...

Ferrousbones

Artificer
Or the highway tunnel where they shut the lights off and everyone crashes into each other at very high speeds like cars dont have auto headlights. I wanted to point this one out earlier but the thread rules is a movie thats ok despite it...
Even without auto headlights, it only takes a second to toggle headlights on, and to let off the accelerator.

pukunui

Legend
I first watched ‘Fargo’ (the film) with my fellow Midwestern American friend… and his German girlfriend, on her first visit to the United States.

He and I laughed uncontrollably throughout the movie - while she stared at us in complete befuddlement.

She was particularly befuddled because she heard Fargo was also a huge hit in Germany. In a dubbed version.

Which led us to speculate: how in the world did they translate the movie’s cultural and especially dialect-based humor into German? Did they pick a particular German dialect to stand-in for rural Minnesotan?
I first saw Kevin Costner’s Robin Hood in Spain. It was in English but had Castilian subtitles. My sister would translate the subtitles, and they just weren’t the same. No wonder we were the only ones laughing in the theater!

MarkB

Legend
That reminds me of C.S.I. where the Las Vegas crime lab where they had mood lighting instead of the nice bright lights they have in labs so you can actually do your work.
TV does go through phases of that - most recently in Picard season 3, where Starfleet seems to have taken a dislike to bright indirect lighting in favour of having just barely enough illumination to fall dramatically across characters' faces.

pukunui

Legend
"Bones" is based on a book series written by an actual forensic scientist who, among other things, consults/consulted with police in Quebec. I would hope that they would get at least the science right.
Of course, the TV series is only nominally based on the book series. They have very little in common other than having a female forensic scientist named Dr Temperance Brennan as the lead character.

I mean, everyday people in Venice 500 years ago would not be speaking English, regardless of accent.
According to Shakespeare, writing about that time, everyone in Venice spoke English, mostly with a 16th Century London accent, apart from Shylock who had a Midlands accent.

The point is, there is no "correct" way to translate/dub accents. South Italy, North Italy, Liverpool, New York, all are equally valid, in that all are equally wrong.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads