D&D 5E Your one hope for D&D?

Caliburn101

Explorer
Primeval Thule didn't do it for you?

[MENTION=73782]Psikerlord[/MENTION], (if I spelled it right) may have something for you...

It's not bad at all, but it still has far too much magic in it and I had to introduce houserules for gritty healing, magical backlash and spiritual corruption to make it feel right - all S&S staples.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's not bad at all, but it still has far too much magic in it
Certainly can't argue with that - especially on the PC side...

and I had to introduce houserules for gritty healing, magical backlash and spiritual corruption to make it feel right - all S&S staples.
The latter two may be - for the stereotypical evil sorcerer. 'Gritty healing, ' though? S&S combat tends to be suddenly lethal, and convalescence only rarely a plot point. D&D's cadence of non-impairing hp damage and quick recovery seems to fit the pace of the genre - methods of healing as hp recovery, like routine use of spells and potions, not so much.

Lingering Wounds, maybe along the lines of FATE's ' Consequences' might capture 'Gritty' better than merely slowing down the natural recovery of non-impairing hp damage, which just tends to increase the impetus for routine magical healing.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I would like to see 18 made the ability score cap and see old school ability checks. Not for everything, the regular skill check is fine for things that require lots of training that are practice based. But I would like to see regular skill checks for feats of raw strength, dexterity, constitution etc. Something like a Dexterity check to move through a space occupied by opponent. A strength check to open stuck doors. Constitution checks for holding your breath while fighting underwater. Things like that. I absolutely hate the acrobatics and athletics score. Just have grappling run under proficiency with weapons, that is grappling and striking are martial proficiencies. Make it a strength check to hold onto a dragon that is trying to knock you off while it is flying.

Caliburn101

Explorer
Certainly can't argue with that - especially on the PC side...

The latter two may be - for the stereotypical evil sorcerer. 'Gritty healing, ' though? S&S combat tends to be suddenly lethal, and convalescence only rarely a plot point. D&D's cadence of non-impairing hp damage and quick recovery seems to fit the pace of the genre - methods of healing as hp recovery, like routine use of spells and potions, not so much.

Lingering Wounds, maybe along the lines of FATE's ' Consequences' might capture 'Gritty' better than merely slowing down the natural recovery of non-impairing hp damage, which just tends to increase the impetus for routine magical healing.

I introduced a system which at it's core made natural healing towards the 'gritty' end - especially if no healing kits were available, but also did the same for magical healing, which requires Healing HD to be used up on a one for one basis with the level of the slot used to fuel the healing spell...

... the healing HD of the target are used first, and if there are none of those left, the Cleric or Druid etc. can burn their own HD to fuel the healing spell.

It works wonderfully well, and means magical healing is draining and costly.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I introduced a system which at it's core made natural healing towards the 'gritty' end - especially if no healing kits were available,
Nod, what folks usually mean when they say 'gritty' healing, slower rates of recovery, restrictions on spending HD, etc...

but...
but also did the same for magical healing, which requires Healing HD to be used up on a one for one basis with the level of the slot used to fuel the healing spell...

... the healing HD of the target are used first, and if there are none of those left, the Cleric or Druid etc. can burn their own HD to fuel the healing spell.

It works wonderfully well, and means magical healing is draining and costly.
I'd often thought of healing spells using the target's HD size instead of their usual dice, or allowing HD to be spent on top of the healing effect without the short rest, but I never thought of pegging HD to slot level to fuel the spell, making healing 'above & beyond' compared to other spells.

I love the caster spending his own life force to fuel the healing when the subject is out of his own, too. As comparatively rare as instant healing is in S&S, where it does occur, that's the kind of 'high price of magic' you'd expect.

Is that all yours or did something inspire it?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Can't you buy AD&D 1e now? I thought all the older editions were out.
To be fair, re-prints aren't 'support.'

Really only 5e and (through PF) 3.5 are genuinely 'supported' editions of D&D.

Also to be fair: 1e, via OSR games, is probably already getting more indirect support than any other formally unsupported editions.

Personally, 5e scratches my 1e itch pretty well with just a little attitude adjustment. I'll run an old 1e module in 5e without bothering to formally convert it.

Last edited:

Different takes on the system, like we got with 3e. Star Wars, Call of Cthullu, d20 Modern... That's the only thing I want from WotC that they're not doing now.

G

Guest 6801328

I have a new "one hope", probably futile:

A superdungeon.

Minimal word count spent on backstory or NPC personalities or long social interaction scenes. Just door-kickin', monster-killin', treasure-grabbin' fun.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I have a new "one hope", probably futile:

A superdungeon.

Minimal word count spent on backstory or NPC personalities or long social interaction scenes. Just door-kickin', monster-killin', treasure-grabbin' fun.
I think I remember hearing something about folks trying to talk Frog God Games into a 5e version of Rappan Athuk.

Didn't pay much attention to that, though, since I'm already in the middle of running it with on-the-fly conversion from the Swords & Wizardry version.

Remove ads