D&D 5E Your one hope for D&D?

76512390ag12

First Post
Yes, but [MENTION=6808057]Grognak[/MENTION] is looking for it in "one handy, well organized book".

1e has many good qualities, but the organization of its two main rulebooks (PH and DMG) ain't one of 'em. :)

Lan-"still amazed how often, even after all these years, I still stumble onto things in the 1e DMG that I never knew were there as what I've found is so far removed in the book from where it really should be"-efan
Is asking for a new edition of 1e AD&D in a thread about one thing for 5e appropriate?

I'll tell you what, I want a reorganised version of 2e C&S.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And another one - for WotC to never release an 'official' book expanding game mechanics/combat tactics. If they do, and my gaming groups latch onto it, then I will be gone from 5E, never to return.
There's nothing stopping you from banning any such expansion in your game, if you're the DM.

If you're a player in a game where the DM just can't say no to such things, however, you have my sympathy.

Lanefan

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No new edition until 2027

No full new edition ever? I mean, we are hoping here, why not go big?

And I've been looking at it, and 5e can handle most ideas I have. Including porting 4e classes, or even Star Wars Saga Edition classes. Like...you could make a 5e: Saga Editon that ignores the existing classes, and replaces them with Saga style talent based classes, and it would run fine. Same with 4e classes.

The basic foundations of 5e are really sound. As long as you present wildly divergent ideas in a package that comes as a "variant" game, I don't see why you couldn't go nuts without rebooting the game into a new edition again.

At most, give us a new printing of the updated core books with errata, the revised ranger, and some fixes to math and wording that would be too big for errata in 5e. And to that, I'd be cool with...maybe...2020?

Because it would still be playable right alongside first printing 5e, ya know?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Thread title says "Your one hope for D&D".
Doesn't say anything about edition....
Doesn't need to, the thread in the "D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules" Form.

Even so...
Is asking for a new edition of 1e AD&D in a thread about one thing for 5e appropriate?
...at worst, it's redundant.

Martial design not handled like nerd revenge fantasy.
Why should it be any different from the rest of the game?

Besides, it's not just symbolic nerd-revenge against jocks, it's also vengeance against all those writers and directors and poets of antiquity for getting it wrong by having the guy with all the knowledge and magical power lose, when, obviously, he could have just.....

Last edited:

Remove ads