• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Second Love

erisred

First Post
Traveller (the LLB's), I suppose...however...

I started with D&D in early '75, had a lot of fun mixing D&D with Tunnels & Trolls the next couple of years, and then Traveller came out in '77. To be honest, I moved almost entirely to Traveller at that point as the group I played (and GM'ed for) were much more into Science Fiction than Fantasy. Over the past 30+ years I've flirted with Twilight2000, Aftermath, GURPS, Fudge and several more systems, but I always come back to something Traveller-like for SF and something D&D-like for Fantasy.

So, I'd have to say Traveller (in all versions and heavily houseruled) is really my first love, while D&D (again heavily housefuled) is my second.

DarenCommons

First Post
My 2nd RPG was Cyberpunk 2020 by R. Talsorian. Great game. It was a strange relationship with the present which was then the future.
The game I always wanted to play but never have is Pendragon.

HelloChristian

First Post
Babylon Project, the old (pre-d20) Babylon 5 D&D. The system had many problems, but I was heavily into B5 back then and the background and role-playing/campaign-design advice were very good, so I greatly enjoyed the game despite its shortcomings.

Awesome. I took a copy of that book to a con and had it signed by at least a dozen cast members.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Well, D&D was my second and third love, actually. Chronologically, anyhow.

Next came Middle Earth Roleplaying, Earthdawn, Cyberpunk 2020, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, Traveller. And so on.

But I suppose the RPG love that followed D&D (with that including BECMI and AD&D 1e, for these purposes) would've been CP2020. More than any of the other early forays into various systems, it totally changed my perspective on RPGs, and just proved to be really damn fun, exciting and interesting. Until that point, it had been strictly fantasy, so that probably had something to do with it.

Whatever the case, I have fond memories of every RPG I've played, and/or GMed.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm sure that 90% of us started out on some flavor of D&D. For me, it will always be my "first love" in tabletop gaming. Here's the question: what is your "second love?" When you first started branching out from the system you started gaming in, what's the first system that really clicked for you?

I suppose it's Star Wars (D6) or Shadowrun (1e). The former was the first instance outside of D&D when a system really intrigued me, while the latter was the first instance outside of D&D when a setting really intrigued me.

Remove ads