• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Second Love

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I'm sure that 90% of us started out on some flavor of D&D. For me, it will always be my "first love" in tabletop gaming. Here's the question: what is your "second love?" When you first started branching out from the system you started gaming in, what's the first system that really clicked for you?

For me, it was Mage: the Ascension. After years of DMing D&D, I finally got to play in a game whose basic assumptions, top to bottom, were completely different. I will always love the way Mage works, and to this day it's the yardstick against which I compare all other games.

How about you? What's the first system you stumbled upon after you started gaming that really did it for you?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Warhammer FRP 1E. I loved the setting more than anything else but the system was fun and quirky and made absolutely no pretense about being balanced. :D

darjr

I crit!
GURPS, the original box set.

I hadn't seen TFT, but at the time GURPS seemed like a generic spiffy new generic traveller... I realize they are actually quite different, but I still love them both.

exile

First Post
When my mom made me give up D&D way back when (during the last days of ADD1E), I found comfort first in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, then the rest of the Palladium games (especially Heroes Unlimited and Beyond teh Supernatural).

Chad

Gilladian

Adventurer
Hmmm..... that's a hard question. Really made me stop and think. The game I remember having the most fun playing "way back when" was probably Gamma World. We never played a campaign for very long, though, and I don't think I'd enjoy the rules system now.

CoC about 10-15 years ago (not sure what edition) was loads of fun. We didn't do a lot of the paranormal stuff, though - mostly it was investigation and running around roleplaying. I think it was the people, not the game, that made it great.

I just don't know...

Rechan

Adventurer
Exalted. The fluff, the flavor, and the system (how it reinforced the world) really felt good.

Also, I was a fighter. I kicked so much ass it wasn't funny.

RPG: Traveller (LBB also).

Non-RPG: Wargames Research Group 15th-17th Century rules. I used to have thousands of Ral Partha and Citadel figures back in the day. Other than D&D, this is probably what I played most.

Remove ads