Your Standard Adventurer's Kit

Key chain
Wallet
Cell phone
Wrist watch

Everything else I carry must be integrated into one of these items The keychain has a travel cable like this one so I can charge the phone anywhere and use it as a flash drive. The keychain also has a pill case, hair ties, and a small screwdriver. Any papers that need to be carried for an extended period must go into the wallet.

For me, keeping things simple and limited like this is the only reliable way to keep track of it. Each item has it's own pocket (or wrist), so that I can instantly tell at all times that I have all of them. I check to make sure each pocket is occupied every time I stand up, and know immediately if anything is missing.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Janx said:
If your back pocket's that loose, odds are good so are the front. Though the larger Otter box case might be part of the problem, it should fit (I used to keep my leather wallet and iPhone in the same pocket before I got the Secrid).
My phone&case will fit in my front pocket, it's just not as easy to put in and take out, and not as comfortable.

I use a slim case on my iPhone. I deplore putting on quarter inch armor onto the world's prettiest phone. I upgrade every 2 years, with trade-in value coming in at 50% of the new, it's worthwhile to protect the phone. But I don't treat my phone roughly.
I'm not rough with my phone either, but accidents happen. I didn't buy the phone for aesthetics, I bought it for functionality. And I like the feel of the Otter case in my hands. I've tried a lighter, slicker case and it felt like it was going to slip out of my hands. Didn't like it. The heavier and non-slick case feels better to me.

Anyway, it's never been a problem sitting down and it's more secure. I know where my phone is. Nobody's lifted it off me (I like to think anybody getting a front pocket lift is really friendly, or really close). You back pocket is more vulnerable to not detecting a pick pocket.

I seldom do anything for just one reason. Where I keep my stuff and keeping my hands free has security application (though getting kicked in the phone might be bad).
For 99.99% of my daily life, comfort in my hands and protection from accidental droppage is far more important than the extremely low odds of bumping into a pick-pocket or robber. Heck, for most of my day, my phone sits on my desk.

Bullgrit

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
Wallet, phone, keys on a caribener and, if I'm going to be going somewhere a phone would be unwelcome, a pocket watch. If I need more storage I'll grab my messenger bag which has an assortment of pencils and pens, at least one sketchbook, and whatever other files, folders, or documents I need. If I'm out in the wilderness, I will have my pocketknife on a belt-pouch.

Ragnar_Lodbrok

First Post
Keys and a flash drive on a lanyard attached to my pants with a carabiner, a good pocketknife on my belt, a phone and some change in my right pocket, and my wallet in my back pocket. My left pocket carries quite a bit more in the form of odds and ends: a crappy pocketknife, a flint-and-magnesium firestarter, a whetstone, a Sharpie, a pencil, a pen, some pieces of eraser, a handful of paperclips, some hair ties, and some breath strips.
I'd carry at least one larger belt knife, but I currently live on a university campus.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Keys and a flash drive on a lanyard attached to my pants with a carabiner, a good pocketknife on my belt, a phone and some change in my right pocket, and my wallet in my back pocket. My left pocket carries quite a bit more in the form of odds and ends: a crappy pocketknife, a flint-and-magnesium firestarter, a whetstone, a Sharpie, a pencil, a pen, some pieces of eraser, a handful of paperclips, some hair ties, and some breath strips.
I'd carry at least one larger belt knife, but I currently live on a university campus.

Is there any reason you're carrying camping gear (fire starter, whetstone) on a university campus?

I'm curious as to what need there is for more than a pocket knife (which as this thread found, most people don't carry)

Ragnar_Lodbrok

First Post
Well, the whetstone is there because the crappy pocketknife (which I have mainly because I don't care about the edge and it has a bottle opener) loses its edge quickly. The firestarter is there because I was camping a few weeks ago and have no reason to remove something that could become useful.
I carry more in my pockets than just a knife because various odds and ends often end up being useful. Paperclips, for example, have a massive variety of peripheral uses. If referring to the extra knife, I carry that because I occasionally need something larger or with a better edge. And a belt knife would also have a fair amount of uses, though I don't expect those to come up until I happen to be able to carry one around with me.

I carry quite a lot of stuff.

In my left front pocket, I carry a key chain with several things attached.
- A tiny 1 LED light
- An emergency whistle
- A small butane lighter
- A micro pry bar
- A key chain sized multi-tool
- An emergency seat belt cutter / glass breaker
- A small encrypted USB drive with various personal documents

- Also clipped to that pocket is a pen light.

In my right front pocket I have
- A pocket knife, clipped to the pocket
- A USB drive with various RPG materials on it
- A billfold

In my left rear pocket I carry a pen

I carry my phone in a case on my belt.

In my shirt pocket, I carry my glasses.

I also usually have a small pack nearby that has a boo boo kit (bandages, antibacterial ointment, analgesics, and so on) and a trauma kit (pressure bandage, nasal pharyngeal airway, tourniquet, etc.) as well as some camping gear (tarp, hammock, water filter, cook kit, and other sundries).

It is not unusual, of a night, for me to take off to a nearby conservation area or national forest to get some time alone in nature, and having that stuff handy makes that much easier to do on a whim.

jcayer

Explorer
Front right pocket, keys
Back right pocket, wallet
Left front pocket iphone
Front right cargo pant pocket, nail clippers
Front left cargo pant pocket, swiss army knife, usb stick, and chapstick

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
Once RG gets his Tone+, he'll be convert and get some space back in his bag.

Okay, I've got it.

I find myself wishing I were a skinny guy, instead of a fat SOB. The headset doesn't quite fit around my neck outside my collar, so I have to wear it next to my skin, and I find that distracting and uncomfortable.

Then, there's the actual headphones. I'm probably some sort of freak, but I've always found that the variety of in-ear headphones that use the tiny sound head and the interchangable silicone cups -- they sound is disappointing to me -- not enough base. I don't expect full range of sound, but I have always felt like the basic iphone headphones (now with the new in-ear shape) have better sound.

Still, it's a cool device, and I like the idea of it, even if this variety isn't quite the mindblowing experience I wanted it to be. Mostly because I'm a fat SOB.

-rg

Janx

Hero
Okay, I've got it.

I find myself wishing I were a skinny guy, instead of a fat SOB. The headset doesn't quite fit around my neck outside my collar, so I have to wear it next to my skin, and I find that distracting and uncomfortable.

Then, there's the actual headphones. I'm probably some sort of freak, but I've always found that the variety of in-ear headphones that use the tiny sound head and the interchangable silicone cups -- they sound is disappointing to me -- not enough base. I don't expect full range of sound, but I have always felt like the basic iphone headphones (now with the new in-ear shape) have better sound.

Still, it's a cool device, and I like the idea of it, even if this variety isn't quite the mindblowing experience I wanted it to be. Mostly because I'm a fat SOB.

-rg

Well sorry you didn't like them as much as I did.

I'm not a tone-afficianado, so the sound is good enough for me.

The 3 default ear nozzles were too big for my ear holes. I had to scavenge modular ear nozzles off something else that fit my decidedly small ear holes.

I wear them around my neck, directly. Around a collar seemed too loose, like they may shift around more.

I haven't seen any product like them, and they work great for me. The fact that they also multi-pair means I can use it on both my phones. For a guy who's on the phone alot, this is the best bluetooth headset I've had. Plus it plays music. And it stays out of my way. And I look less dorky than having a 'tooth in my ear.

Remove ads