D&D 3E/3.5 Your take on Mirror Image, 3.0 or 3.5

Greenfield

Adventurer
We had an odd one come up in play.

Old black dragon (Huge size) with a human riding on his back.

Dragon casts Mirror Image. How does this affect the rider?

Is the rider protected in any way?

If not, does this let PCs know which image is real?

(For the record, I split the difference in play: Many dragons with many riders, but when the rider cast a spell there was only one spell effect that came out, so they could tell which rider was real.)

Greenfield

Adventurer
My rationale was that, if a person casts Invisibility, anything they're wearing or carrying goes invisible with them. That could include another person, so long as they're carried. They could even pick up such a person after they're Invisible, and conceal them as well. They just need to cover them with a cloak or similar item.

So the caster got a free ride but, unlike the Dragon, was not actually the target of the spell. If the Dragon had cast something like Scorching Ray, each image would have had fiery beams coming out, all focused on the same target(s). But the rider didn't really have that protection, so only one set of rays came out, all from an identifiable source.

I really need to get better at staging high level battles, by the way. But that's another story.

Starfox

Hero
I think I prefer an alternate universe explaination - like Shrödinger's Cat, it is simply not certain which image is real until it is tested and the propbability field collapses. Thus, the human rider (not protected by Mirror Image) could actually be riding a dragon that turns out to be an illusion... until that is tested.

Remove ads