Your thoughts on Generic versus Bespoke systems.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I wouldn't make that assumption. Having GMed both, and having read and played with M&M's Heroes High materials through multiple editions, there's quite a bit of exploring teenage identities, relationships with the adult hero and mundane worlds, and other teenage topics in M&M teen hero campaigns. The chance that a Claremont Academy (or other teen hero) campaign in M&M explores identity isn't even close to nil in the wild.
Are the majority of the rules gives around that?

Because we aren't talking about "what can a GM do narratively", we're talking about game systems that mechanically support a specific style of play.

Can a few words (literally) from just about any adult affect the ability of every PC to make them better at some moves and worse at others unless they reject that adult's influence over them?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Let's talk for a second about the truly generic systems: Hero, GURPS, FUDGE/Fate, Cortex (I gather; I have never seen it).
Cortex Prime is a different beast. Picture if instead of Fate, you said "these 450 specific Fate implementations for different genres and individual settings". It's not a game. You can not pick it up an play it. It's a set of tools for making a bespoke game. It's very different than GURPS, Hero System, or Fate.

I'm not saying this as a defender - while I kickstarted it I haven't played Cortex Prime. I love Fate for many types of games, and I played far too much Champions in my youth.

It's really a different beast. For example, do you want attributes in your game? Do you want skills? How about roles? Special effects? Relationships? What do you want to trigger character growth? How do you track damage?

The end result can be a lot less physics engine and a lot more bespoke - or not - than what a Universal system can give you.

I present that unlike D&D, dumping the setting is a house rule for BitD - it has mechanical support in terms of named NPCs, it terms of playbook features and equipment that only makes sense if certain things, exist in it.
Interesting. I haven't played (or even read) BitD, but I have played in a full campaign of Scum & Villainy. And we didn't find it difficult to switch out the setting for one of our own making.

Now, granted, our setting did need to share some particular things with the book's setting - Precursor artifacts, mystics of the Way, and so on. And part of our worldbuilding was to come up with a similar array of factions up to a variety of goals.

Is that what you're talking about, or is S&V genuinely different from BitD in this respect?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Are the majority of the rules gives around that?
Well, that’s why Masks is a bespoke system rather than a generic one, isn’t it? It’s tailored to a particular play experience with its labels, playbooks, and influence.

pemerton

Legend
Let's talk for a second about the truly generic systems: Hero, GURPS, FUDGE/Fate, Cortex (I gather; I have never seen it).

What most "universal" or "generic" RPGs bring to the table is a rule set that establishes what amounts to a "physics engine" -- that is, a set of rules about how the world and the people in it work.
This isn't what Cortex+ brings to the table.

It brings a framework for establishing descriptors (for characters and for scenes/situations/story elements) and a resolution process built around them.

This, by the way, is why I put D&D in the broadly "generic" category: it is all about providing a common language from which a wide variety of game styles can emerge (as someone said previously, you can run Greyhawk and Spelljammer in D&D; it can't be that bespoke).
I am using GH for a Torchbearer campaign, and it would be pretty straightforward to introduce Spelljamming into Torchbearer too. I'm not sure this shows that Torchbearer is a generic system in any interesting way. It will still be - as it says on the tin - a game of desperate adventure.

MGibster

Legend
It's generic in the sense that there's no setting attached to it, and there's a very broad interpretation of it's genre--after all, this is a game that supports the Realms, Greyhawk, Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Eberron, Birthright, and so on, plus a countless number of homebrew worlds. And it can support numerous play styles, from murderhobo-ing your way through a dungeon to political intrigue to solving mysteries to exploration to any number of other things.
I'm going to disagree on two things. The first is that Forgotten Realms, Planescape, Spelljammer, Ravneloft, and Dark Sun were not played in such a manner as to be significantly different from one another. At the end of the day, they were all D&D with their classes, alignments, spell system, and how combat works. Nor do the rules support every style of play. Political intrigue? How do the rules support such a campaign and what will the poor Fighter do the whole time? Don't get me wrong, you can do it, but the rules are going to leave some classes lacking.

Aldarc

Legend

What most "universal" or "generic" RPGs bring to the table is a rule set that establishes what amounts to a "physics engine" -- that is, a set of rules about how the world and the people in it work. Now, they aren't without stylistic input -- GURPS makes a bunch of assumptions about tone that are different than Fate's assumptions, for example. But by and large what they are trying to do is establish a baseline for interpreting the "reality" of the game space and thereby giving the GM and players a common language from which to build the story of the game they are playing. This, by the way, is why I put D&D in the broadly "generic" category: it is all about providing a common language from which a wide variety of game styles can emerge (as someone said previously, you can run Greyhawk and Spelljammer in D&D; it can't be that bespoke).

I used to be really into the Hero system, but that was mostly because of Champions. So Hero wasn't, for me, a truly "universal system." Even so, i read enough comics to know there were many different styles, tones, themes and even genres under the umbrella of the "superhero genre." So, by that definition, even Champions (as opposed to hero) was a generic system. You could build it to do a very specific thing, and then re-build it to do a different thing.
IMHO, while I agree that Fate and Cortex gravitate more towards being toolkits, I think that their core systems aren't so much "physics engines" but "scene resolution engines." Fate/Cortex are more interested in the conceptual space that the player characters occupy in the fiction and how who they are as characters influence that scene. There is even a section in Fate's Book of Hanz entitled "Fiction, Not Physics" that labors this point.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

It's pretty much axiomatic that no system, no matter how generic, is good at everything. Fate, for example, is designed to work with highly competent, proactive characters. You can certainly try to relax those constraints to play zero-to-hero or horror, but the system will tend to fight you. Like, I don't think starting with a +2 skill pyramid would be much fun at all.
theres a Fate Accelerated Pathfinder Hack that works on the premise that standard Fate Character (3 Aspects, 3 Refresh, [+2, +1, +1] in Approaches, and 3 free Stunts) is roughly equivalent to 5th-6th level Pathfinder character.
They then have a handy table for adjusting to level one up to 20+.

While youre right its not easy I do find horror is easier in FATE than in DnD, low refresh and compelable consequences on a short mental stress track helps to pull the players in to the tension

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Yep. This is key to understanding Fate: If the game is trying to simulate anything, it's story beats rather than reality.
I don't think that's true. Fate puts a lot of design space toward genre emulation through narrative tools,but not really structural story tools. And the core system is pretty standard,mechanically speaking. Of course, there are lots of variations and in general it seems like there are crunchy Fate games and light Fate games. And Dresden has an example of both!

Remove ads