• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Your wishlist for fantasy adventure beyond medieval Europe

Afrodyte

Explorer
OK; I've just gotten the sense that people have this idea that D&D is all fantasy medieval Europe all the time, which has never been the case. In addition to having monsters from nearly every portion of the Earth, Greyhawk contained countries emulations of nearly every culture on Earth too, and Forgotten Realms even more so. And that's just the published worlds. Yet you constantly hear about how "D&D is Fantasy Medieval Europe". It really never has been.

My own preferred stylings is more Ancient world & pulp sword & sorcery than the ersatz 16th Century Renaissance Faire look of most of the trade dress these days.

And I definitely understand where you're coming from, as the "medieval Europe" thing is more a historical and stylistic feature than a mechanical one.

When you say ancient world, what kind of thing do you mean? Are we talking Xena, or the Iliad, or something else?

Afrodyte

Explorer
I'd love to see a truly fantastic setting. Living cities of massive, mobile tower beasts and road centipedes. Moving cities built on the backs of gigantic lizards. Flying cities. Local peoples living in symbiotic relationships with treants to harvest lumber. Magical storms and events. Wandering small gods. All sorts of actual fantastic elements instead of trying to having a mundane settings with a little bit of magic.

That would be pretty cool. Is there an example in fiction you'd like to see emulated?

Salamandyr

Adventurer
And I definitely understand where you're coming from, as the "medieval Europe" thing is more a historical and stylistic feature than a mechanical one.

When you say ancient world, what kind of thing do you mean? Are we talking Xena, or the Iliad, or something else?

The smear of Empires and Kingdoms that dotted the world and contended prior to the rise of the Roman Empire, where Babylon, Egypt, Greece, the Trojans, Assyrians, Thracians, Warring States Chinese, and whoever else I want to throw in there, even if they were separated by hundreds or thousands of years, living and striving and trying to kill each other, all the while occasionally getting eaten by the horrible things that live in the blanks spots of the map.

So a little like Xena, but more like Howard Conan, and Lieber's Nehwon. Nehwon is often thought to be a Renaissance world, because his sword fights often resemble fencing duels (Lieber was a fencer), but if you look at the dress, weapons, technology, and more tellingly, the alternate Earth that was a clone of their own, Nehwon was at most, early Roman.

EDIT: but even that doesn't really require separate rules systems (even the armor can translate to a myriad of periods), just different descriptions, and possibly different art.

shadow

First Post
I would love to see a good African-inspired setting. Is there any chance we can see a 5e conversion of Nyambe: African Adventures?

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com

Remove ads