D&D 5E You've just TPK'd in the final fight. What do?

Many have advised to start the next campaign dealing with the aftermath of the catastrophic event the heroes failed to prevent. It is good advice, that I'd like to complement with the idea that you don't need to have the follow-up campaign taking places decades after the first. If the heroes died at the last step of the campaign, there is strong possibility that they had become high-level enough to be known in the setting, and if they barely failed, have an interested third-party (or their patron) start taking those 25,000 gp diamonds out of the treasury to cast True Resurrections.

What I'd expect as a player is... to trust my GM to do his best to narrate something cool.

As a GM, I have successfully:

a) restarted a campaign 4 years after, after the players naughty word-up while fixing the eldritch, world altering machine. Sure, they saved the world, but things had changed. So now, they play in that strange, slightly different world, as reincarnate of the formers heroes, starting to notice things as amiss as their destiny was left unfulfilled.

b) restarted a campaign immediately after, because it was in a world were the court cleric could cast True Resurrection and the king wouldn't lose his whole Round Table because of a stroke of bad luck.

c) (my favorite)... Enter team B! In the campaign, PCs had liked a few NPCs henchmen/adjuvants working for their patron. In the follow-up of their TPK, those NPCs, endowed with specific abilities fitting their characterization, all volunteered to help the patron in the dangerous mission of retrieving the corpses of the late heroes from the den of the evil mastermind, so the patron could put to good use his prized artefacts: a series of Raise Dead scrolls. It was a much lower magic setting, so they had to run as the B-team to meet the 10 days hard limit on Raise Dead.

If there is nothing cool that can come out of a TPK, I'd avoid a TPK and have the evil guy take prisonners to know if they operated alone or if they are part of a larger conspiracy. "You all wake up in a cell" would follow. As a bunch of talking head powered by the evil BBEG's awful necromantic ritual if you're into horror fantasy (and can come up with a credible scenario where the characters regrow a body quickly).

Last edited:

Shiroiken

Legend
As all of my campaigns take place in the same world, it would have an impact on the next campaign. For example, in my first campaign the party managed to defeat Lolth, forcing her to abandon the Demonweb Pits (her primary plane in the Abyss). Now her clerics have lost several class abilities as a result, as she is more concerned with recovering her power. This has led many of her followers to abandon her for other demon lords to worship. If the party had died in a TPK, she would have started to absorb the world into the Demonweb instead, and the party would be rebels against their drow overlords.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I guess it depends on why the TPK happened. The last TPK I was involved in, the DM presented us with an enemy he apparently wanted to become our long term nemesis. He set it up so we encountered him at low resources, and when we beat him he "assumed his final form" (which really cheesed off the Wizard who had been making sure to hit him with Chill Touch- "He's not healing, he's taking on a new form"), and used Legendary Actions to dominate us into attacking each other.

During the fight, he cursed us with this strange curse that would last for a year and a day, and allow him to scry on us, and use any of us as a point of origin for his powers. Realizing that even if we ran away, we'd be at his mercy (and a danger to anyone near to us), we decided to make our stand there.

My Paladin got a lucky crit, and I prayed the guy would drop, but no. We all died and were left staring at the DM, wondering what the point of it all was.

"Well you were supposed to run away and try to find a cure for the curse", he said.

"How could we do that, if he could drop the curse on anyone we got near?" we responded.

He spluttered and said "that wasn't going to happen", but didn't elaborate.

The game ended there, but to this day I don't understand why. If I was in that situation as the DM, I can't imagine I'd be happier letting my BBEG win, preserving my storyline at the cost of the game itself...

I'm normally averse to retcons, but in a scenario like this, I think it's fine to think of a way to salvage your campaign, if the players are on board with it.

pukunui

Legend
As a DM, I don't think I've ever had an actual bona fide TPK. There's always been at least one survivor.

Depending on where/when in the campaign this near-TPK has occurred, we either end the campaign and start a new one, or continue the campaign with a new party (possibly with the survivor/s having recruited new allies to continue their mission).

When I ran Curse of Strahd, the party made it to the final fight with Strahd in the crypts beneath his castle. All but one of the PCs died. The player of the surviving PC said his character would have escaped the castle and gone to live with the crazy mage in the mountains. End of story.

Most recently, my Mad Mage party wiped in a fight against the drow. Technically only one of them died. The drow wanted to keep the others alive to experiment on them. I offered to set up an "escape the drow" scenario, but the players voted to have the one PC who escaped return to Waterdeep and recruit new PCs who would descend into the dungeon and seek revenge against the drow. The story continues.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
DM: "Suddenly, Drizzt shows up!"
Players: "Who?"
DM sigh "Suddenly, Vex'ahlia shows up."
Players: "Hurray!"
I mean, as someone who likes men and women, I’d sure as hell rather be rescued by Vex!

I always imagine Drizzt talking with a slightly goofy Bostonian accent. Can’t help it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I guess it depends on why the TPK happened. The last TPK I was involved in, the DM presented us with an enemy he apparently wanted to become our long term nemesis. He set it up so we encountered him at low resources, and when we beat him he "assumed his final form" (which really cheesed off the Wizard who had been making sure to hit him with Chill Touch- "He's not healing, he's taking on a new form"), and used Legendary Actions to dominate us into attacking each other.

During the fight, he cursed us with this strange curse that would last for a year and a day, and allow him to scry on us, and use any of us as a point of origin for his powers. Realizing that even if we ran away, we'd be at his mercy (and a danger to anyone near to us), we decided to make our stand there.

My Paladin got a lucky crit, and I prayed the guy would drop, but no. We all died and were left staring at the DM, wondering what the point of it all was.

"Well you were supposed to run away and try to find a cure for the curse", he said.

"How could we do that, if he could drop the curse on anyone we got near?" we responded.

He spluttered and said "that wasn't going to happen", but didn't elaborate.

The game ended there, but to this day I don't understand why. If I was in that situation as the DM, I can't imagine I'd be happier letting my BBEG win, preserving my storyline at the cost of the game itself...

I'm normally averse to retcons, but in a scenario like this, I think it's fine to think of a way to salvage your campaign, if the players are on board with it.
If the BBEG in my game was using you guys to spread that kind of curse, I might have had him arrange bring you back so that his plan could achieve its fruition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases