• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yuan-Ti Adventures?

RichGreen

Adventurer
Kunimatyu said:
I didn't think that Freeport's snakemen had the whole various-percentages-of-snake-and-human thing, just the standard disguise self from casters when they want to appear human?

Hi,

Freeport's serpent people are actually Cthulhu mythos serpent people.

Serpent Kingdoms is excellent and is more of a yuan-ti sourcebook than an FR book.

Cheers

Richard

CSB046 said:
Hi all.

For some reason, I recently became rather interested in running an adventure featuring "snake people" for my group, which obviously led me to the yuan-ti, creatures I've never actually used in my "D&D lifetime."

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good yuan-ti related stuff (modules, Dungeon adventures, etc.)? The specific incarnation of D&D doesn't really matter, so even suggestions for older adventures would be appreciated. I could always convert them.

Thanks for any help!
I am currently writing an adventure for my own D&D campaign in a home brew setting. Unfortunately it is not worked out appropriately to be really useful to anyone besides myself (and it's not finished, either).

Still, if you need some ideas:

The Yuan-Ti in my campaign setting once had a big empire, but it crumbled when their primary gods, Merrshaulk and Yarusha (his lover) fell apart and the Yuan-Ti followed. Merrshaulk became the dominant in their city.

These days, only few of the old Yuan-Ti cities still exist. One of them is the centre of the adventure. In the past decades, many Yuan-Ti were drawn to it, and its now one of the few Metropolis cities left of the Yuan-Ti (though it is also populated by humans, elves and halfings - a mixed community). Recently, a lost Temple was unearthed, dedicated to the two gods. Prophecies and rumours claim that a mighty artefact capable of reuniting the Yuan-Ti race lies buried here.
Several Yuan-Ti and anti-Yuan-Ti factions gather here and try to enter the temple (which is still sealed by the city watch) to get the artefact.

Unfortunately, no one knows what this artefact is or what it _really_ does (it's real nature the twist in the adventure, but I won't tell :) ).
Making it difficult is also the fact that the two last two high priests of the temple still "unlive" there and have installed several security measures, called demons and angel guardians and created undead. So you have all the opportunities for political intrigue and classical dungeon crawling (and the players should be able to concentrate on any of the options).

Wraith Form

Explorer
I didn't FINISH reading this, but Necromancer Games has Coils of Set. As it's name implies, it has snake people. Dunno if they're true yuan-ti (I think they're naga), but naga are close enough, right? :)

If you're willing to pillage alternate game systems, there are a few nice old-school Call of Cthulhu adventures with snake people (see the Freeport comments above--those snake people have their roots in the CoC game).

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
Yuan-ti make great villains - there are one of the two major "BBEG" groups in my own campaign: they are a jungle based group of fanatics, worshipping Yig and often allied with other serpentine beings (Nagas, Medusae etc.).

Remove ads