Yuan Ti and allies thread (Ti-Khana critters)

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Sorry, drove for 14 hours yesterday and had alot of real life admin!

All looks good and along the lines of what I was thinking. I'd go with multiattack as it gives the flavour of a biting swarm that might attack more than one opponent a round.

Also 72 hp looks fine

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Sorry, drove for 14 hours yesterday and had alot of real life admin!

All looks good and along the lines of what I was thinking. I'd go with multiattack as it gives the flavour of a biting swarm that might attack more than one opponent a round.

Also 72 hp looks fine

Good, I've greened those bits of the Ti-khana Venomwing Pterosaur Swarm.

Not sure it needs the "(see Magic Detection)" in its Innate Spellcasting? I'm thinking of cutting that out to make the Innate Spellcasting match the individual Venomwing.

Although I am wondering whether said Magic Detection ought to have the subordinate clause tweaked? (e.g. the "because a few of the swarm's pterosaurs are concentrating on detect magic spells.")

Perhaps .

Magic Detection. While the venomwing swarm is in pterosaur form and not incapacitated it continuously senses magic within 30 feet of it, because a few of its pterosaurs will always be concentrating on detect magic spells (see Innate Spellcasting).​

While writing the above I realized I've got its spell save DC wrong. It should be 11 not 10 as its a Pro Bonus higher.

Easy fix… …fixed!

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Yep - wording looks good.

I was musing on something else to make it a bit spicier. Given they're a bunch of dextrous flying critters, could we maybe have them that all piercing attacks that are not at Advantage (due to surprise/faierie fire etc.) are at Disadvantage maybe? Just to stuff up arrow shooters?

Cleon

Legend
Yep - wording looks good.

Updating the Ti-khana Venomwing Pterosaur Swarm.

I was musing on something else to make it a bit spicier. Given they're a bunch of dextrous flying critters, could we maybe have them that all piercing attacks that are not at Advantage (due to surprise/faierie fire etc.) are at Disadvantage maybe? Just to stuff up arrow shooters?

Wouldn't go for that.

Firstly, why would it only apply to piercing? Surely it'd be about as hard to hit a dextrous flying critter with a sling stone than an arrow?

Secondly, I'm not sure such a swarm would be harder to hit by "poking it with arrows" at range than "poking it with a rapier" in melee.

Thirdly, wouldn't a Swarm of Bats have such a trait if the WotC game designers thought it appropriate? They decided to represent the difficulty of hitting swarms by giving the Damage Resistance to weapon attacks.

Finally, I'd rather keep it simpler like the SRD swarms and not give it much in the way of abilities that aren't possessed by the individual Venomwing.

Cleon

Legend
passive perception should be 14

How did I miss that one? Oh well, another easy fix.

also typo in multiattacks line

The Multiattack looks alright to me. To which typo do you refer?

EDIT: Actually, I was pretty sure you believe it should be "two bite attacks" in Multiattack. However, the swarm's attack action is called Bites not Bite, so "two bites attacks" is correct despite it looking screwy. :ENDEDIT

but then yes...onto descriotion

The Description oughtn't to take long, I'd keep it short and simple, like a sentence or two.

Last edited:

Remove ads