• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zad/Wizardru's Story Hour (*final update 11/12*)

Argent Silvermage

First Post
The acquisition of Glyphandar’s Lab:

Having just returned from the frozen citadel of the giants I had come to a revelation that had been building in my mind since my designation of Final Seed of Cabal Diamondshard; I needed a permanent residence.

It was becoming problematic to use the rooms at the Drunken Morkoth when the maid and the other residents would complain of the smells and sounds at all hours of the night. I also had an issue where some of the drunken hooligans had tried to steal Grinder. Not that they survived the experience without permanent scars.

This is how I find myself moving into my new home on Bituminous Road, just downward of Lava Avenue, literally in the Shadow of the Blue Crater Academy. The huge 3 story home sits on land owned by the Azlaxan family. I purchased it for the kings’ ransom of 10,000 gold pieces and a bit of my dignity.

In order to be found “worthy” of a mortgage I had to enchant a weapon for Zachary Azlaxan Jr. One of the Storm Blades. I have not forgotten how he and his friends tried to embarrass the Blue Tygers at the Demonscar ball. I also feel the shoulder Cora dislocated when it rains. In my own way I gave him something special and hope that that makes him think differently of the Legion. I enchanted his Rapier to channel electricity and told him that when I have the time he could pay to have a thundering attack added to his weapon; giving a true Storm Blade. He seemed to enjoy it immensely.

The first thing I did was to create my third Homunculi, a Dedicated Wright I have named Forge. He has been invaluable since I can empower him to enchant items so that I effectively can now do twice the work in half the time, and I need it. Between enchanting my own equipment plus Belsin’s spear, Kriss’ armor and Astrid’s new adamantine full plate I would have had no time to just relax and unpack.

Zad

First Post
Demonskar Legacy – Chapter 2

Demonskar Legacy – Chapter 2

OOC Notes:
Exp is 815 for 7th level characters, 630 for 8th level.

As I sit down to write today, I have no idea how this is going to turn out. My laptop took a dirt nap before the game and I was forced to resort to an antiquated approach of taking notes >on paper<. Pelor help us all.

This Week’s Adventure:
We could see the elementals were down near the lake. “Grab one of those wands of controlling water and let’s get moving!” Elizabeth said.

Jenya produced one of the wands from a desk drawer and declared “I’m coming with you.” She hadn’t moved a step before Brother Duos stood in her path. “No you are not. As proctor, it is my duty to stop you in this. We cannot afford to lose another high priest.”

Jenya drew in a breath to argue, but stopped, realizing Duos was right. “Very well. We will prepare to receive the wounded here.”

The Blue Tyger Legion ran to the fire as fast as the sloping and winding streets of Cauldron would permit. They finally rounded another corner to see the fire in its full fury.

Two massive elementals – pyres of living fire – were wantonly destroying an inn in this downscale section of town. The inn was the home to most of the half-orc mercenaries, and the half-orcs were furiously working a bucket brigade trying to slow the fire, but avoiding direct confrontation with the elementals.

Several yards away, a man – the innkeeper no doubt – was screaming at a half-orc who was barking orders. “Do SOMETHING! Attack them!”

The half-orc was a seasoned veteran and was keeping his cool. “What do you want us to do? Weapons are useless!” and to prove his point he held up the melted slag of a sword.

Supported with protective magic from Kris, Astrid charged in with Elizabeth just behind her. The half-orcs may not have been able to fight the elementals, but the girls’ enchanted weapons fared better, tearing out gooey chunks of fire from the first elemental and it wasn’t long before it lost cohesion and fell apart into mindless fire. The creature had battered Astrid but she was only bashed, not burned thanks to Kris’ spell.

The second elemental either didn’t realize that someone had arrived that could hurt them, or didn’t care, and continued to set fire to anything within its not inconsiderable reach. Through the commotion, Maris made out the sound of a child screaming for help inside, and Bellsin ran inside the burning inn to find him.

Maris then turned on the second elemental. She had started by using a haste spell on the Blue Tygers and followed that by slowing the elemental. Astrid, Elizabeth and Grinder, now enchanted for the occasion, tore at the elemental. As the second elemental was besieged, Bellsin found the scullery boy trapped by debris in the kitchen and with some effort managed to free him.

The second elemental was destroyed just as Bellsin was emerging with the hurt boy. Maris and Glyph were looking at the “remains” of the elementals.

“Why is all this still here?” Maris asked. “Normally when an elemental is summoned, they simply return to their home plane when they’re destroyed. But this one was really destroyed – it’s bits are still here. The only way that could happen…”

“… is if someone used a very powerful spell to open a gate,” Glyph finished her sentence. “This is not good.”

The half-orcs were having a hard time gaining on the fire, which had taken a firm hold on the ramshackle building. Kris called forth the crater lake using the power of the wand and began putting out the larger gouts of flame. As he did, cold sleet started falling from above, which helped put out the smaller flames and keep the fire from spreading further.

The source of the sleet was a new arrival – a giant of a man with blue hair that could only be the so-called “Blue Duke”, the Captain in charge of the half-orc mercenaries. The half-orc sergeant immediately came over and gave a thorough report to him.

Just after the Blue Duke arrived, a heavy set man in robes came puffing up and moved towards the wounded. Astrid recognized Kristoff – the High Priest of the temple of Pelor. Despite the commotion there were still on-lookers who were yelling insults at the half-orcs, telling them they weren’t welcome. This was too much for Kristoff.

“You people should be ashamed. People have been hurt and killed here, and some of them the very people who have tried to protect you and yours. You should be helping them not yelling insults. Go home in shame and pray to Pelor for wisdom if you can think of nothing else to do but take joy in the pain of your neighbor.”

Kristoff’s words were effective, and the mocking stopped immediately.

Maris spoke with the Blue Duke briefly who was both thankful and polite, but once the situation was under control he hurried off to consult with the Mayor.

Bellsin make sure the boy he rescued was healed and well. The boy had seen a man go into the basement and use a scroll before the attack began. The boy was fearful though and the combination of his statements and his hesitation strongly suggested that the Last Laugh was involved in the attack.

It was a full enough night, and the situation was under control, so the Blue Tygers headed home, exhausted.

“Why do these things always happen when we’re around?” Astrid asked with a sigh.

“I don’t know,” I remarked, “but we need to start finding trouble that actually pays something.”

In the morning, the town criers were out early. Their message had changed slightly as well. They repeated the amnesty for those involved in the riot, and declared that Maavu had been sentenced to death in absentia for his role. The criers also said that while Sir Alek had indeed presented a challenge, that divination magic revealed he was possessed by demons and so the challenge was not valid. They also said that due to the events of the prior night, the half-orcs would be relocating immediately to a camp outside the city.

“Interesting,” Kris commented.

We split up to attend to various tasks. Elizabeth went to try to find Lord Vhalantruu. She was concerned about the disappearance of Lady Celeste and wanted to see what information he had in case we had the opportunity to follow up on it. She went to the Vhalantruu manor, but the Lord was not at home. Servants indicated he was off visiting various temples and that he might be found at the Temple of Wee Jas but he had left the manor some time ago. Elizabeth went to the temple where she was greeted (if you want to call it that) by a priest named Vel. When she inquired as to Lord Vhalantruu, the priest declined to confirm or deny his presence and seemed to be making a point of being as rude as possible. He seemed to know who Elizabeth was, and in so knowing was determined to be an ass despite the kind words of his High Priestess at the Demonskar ball. Elizabeth was petulant and decided to linger at the temple for a time hoping either to encounter Lord Vhalantruu or simply irritate Vel. While she had no luck at the former, she was stunningly successful at the latter, and after being fully satisfied that his unkindness had been returned, she set out. She spent some hours criss-crossing Cauldron but had no luck.

The rest of us went to see Jenya. The temple was busy seeing to the injuries from the attack and fire, and morning services had been cancelled. Jenya saw us in her study.

“I am very worried about Alek. The Star of Justice’s cryptic answer causes me great concern. I would be grateful if you could look into his whereabouts. I wish I could offer you a reward for this but the coffers are sorely drained as it is…”

Astrid cut her off with a wave. “There’s no need. We will look into it. He is tied in with these events somehow and we would do well to find him.”

“He had been adventuring near Redgorge but I do not know where. As I had said, he was seeking to re-establish the family fortune, and adventured to find treasures to further that goal. I believe most of the things he recovered he sold to Tygot, so you might inquire there.”

Once outside, I called to Elizabeth. Meet us near Tygot’s so we can plan our next move.

Just as well, she replied. I’m getting nowhere trying to chase Vhalantruu.

“If Alek was adventuring near Redgorge, that could be just the excuse we need to go there,” mused Kris. “And we could make contact with Maavu without causing a fuss.”

“Very true,” Bellsin said. “Let’s see what Tygot has to say, but plan to leave in the morning.”

“I want to go see if I can learn anything from the half-orcs,” Astrid said. “I’ll meet up with you later. You don’t need me to talk to Tygot anyway.”

Maris also had something bothering her. “I want to go to the Academy and see what I can learn about the Grey Guild. The hint that Lady Celeste was in contact with them is intriguing. I was warned away from inquiring about them when I asked my instructors so I need to do some discrete research.”

So we split up and I went with the group visiting Tygot.

After the usual pleasantries were exchanged, Elizabeth got to the point.

“Tygot, we have to ask you something that you probably won’t want to answer. Jenya is very worried about Sir Alek and where he’s disappeared to. She said he had sold some items to you, and we wanted to know what they were in case they gave us some clue to his whereabouts. I’m sure you usually do not discuss business with other clients but in this case we were hoping…”

He held up a hand. “Nonsense. I respect Sir Alek and if I can help you find him, I am happy to do so.” Tygot went over to a large ledger and began combing through pages of shorthand only he could decipher.

“Hm,” he said after a time. “I have three items which he brought in. The first is a painting – Knight in Brown – there it is behind you on the wall. The second is a baboon mask,” and noting what was written, he pulled a case from one of the many drawers on the wall and took out a mask. It was unusual but not really that helpful.

“And then… hegemonic plate. Oh yes, I recall now,” and he fetched it from the back. He brought out a large plate of pure silver. It portrayed images on the front of a six-armed creature (a spellweaver, noted Glyph) overseeing the construction of something – a temple or other structure if you ask me. The final panel showed the spellweaver holding an object, and the caption was loosely translated as “starry mirror”. It also included a sequence of numbers – 3 – 4 – 5 – 1 – 2 – 3.

The back was far more interesting. It had a map that had been scratched out with a sharp object. It was crude but had more than enough detail to find the “end”, provided you knew where to start. The map seemed to start near an unnamed river at a headless statue, but there was no other reference point.

We offered to buy the plate from Tygot but he said we were welcome to take it as long as we needed it. Later at the Morkloth, we examined it again.

Maris came from Redgorge. “There is a headless demon statue by the river. I’m not sure exactly where it is – it’s not really of any significance as a landmark. But someone probably knows where to find it.”

“Then we would know where to begin. I’m guessing this map indicates where Alek was adventuring so if we can find the start maybe we can find him, or at least where he was. More importantly, we can also take care of other business in Redgorge.” Astrid didn’t mention Maavu by name. She lowered her voice before continuing. “This offers us the perfect pretext for going to Redgorge. While there we can hear what ‘he’ has to say. But say nothing of this. I think we’re all equally suspicious of everything right now, and I for one don’t know who to trust. So let’s not say more than we have to.”

In the morning we set out for Redgorge. It was an uneventful trip and by mid-afternoon the basalt fortifications (“Raised by the Spellmason himself” Maris noted) rose into view. The town itself had many empty buildings on the outskirts revealing it had never quite been fully repopulated since the Demonskar war. The town itself was mostly a hub for mining and farming activities in the area and seemed sedate when compared to Cauldron.

We immediately headed for Maris’ family estate. If anyone cared enough to be watching the comings and goings of the Blue Tyger Legion, it would have seemed odd had we not stayed with Maris’ family, and Elizabeth was nervous about drawing any attention to the Redhead Miner inn. Maris’ mother was at home and was gracious and welcoming, although with a bit much of the noble attitude. Coming from this background, I was surprised Maris was as class-indifferent as she was.

The group had a quiet discussion and agreed that sending the entire company to meet with Maavu would be too risky. Elizabeth, Astrid and I would go to make contact, using some misdirection to prevent being too easily followed, though the details were not discussed. It was assumed that Astrid would use her magical hair comb to discreetly follow Elizabeth. The truth was that Elizabeth had the comb and would use it to evade notice if needed while Astrid used her natural talents. But Elizabeth would arrive at the inn as herself first otherwise she might be ignored.

The town was small enough that a stranger was immediately noticed. Astrid’s skills were formidable but it didn’t cover the fact that she was a new face. But she was easily ignored in favor of the plate-armored woman, and it helped keep Astrid from over-much scrutiny. The innkeeper was cordial enough, and there was a human bard entertaining the customers, knee-high boots sticking out from a brown robe.

After finishing a bawdy song that caused no reaction in Elizabeth, he seemed disappointed. “Well then my dear a riddle for you! What can you bind with water sand and lime?”

“It could only be mortar,” Elizabeth said, offering the pre-arranged answer.

“Indeed it could!” the bard cried, and went on to a new song. But after that song, he sat down at the table, leaning in close acting as if he was making an indecent offer. “The Foreman looks forward to meeting you, Ms. Cartwright. As do others. There will be a meeting later and we will take you downstairs along with any others you have brought.”

“Excellent,” she said, and went to throw the remains of her drink at him in mock defiance. The bard quickly yielded and left the table.

As promised, later on a subtle signal was given and Elizabeth went into the back, Astrid in her disguise following after. The innkeeper showed them into a cellar where several stools were collected around a table. The walls were decorated with elaborate frescoes (elaborate for a cellar at any rate) depicting the history of Cauldron. It showed Sundabar Spellmason arriving, a scene of an angel handing him a staff, a scene of him raising the fortifications around Redgorge, of the battle of Redgorge, and finally of Sundabar turning into a mountain.

A man entered with graying hair and a goatee wearing a leather apron, accompanied by another man. Maavu entered soon after and was visibly glad to see the girls. The bard also arrived with one or two others.

“Where is Alek?” the graying man asked Maavu.

“He’s disappeared,” Maavu said. “It can’t be good. I don’t know if Skellerang got to him or something else did.”

The Foreman thought on this in silence for a moment, then turned to the girls. “I am the Foreman, and we are the Chisel. We are an organization dedicated to protecting the region especially the artisans and craftsmen. We have few select members, mostly Cauldronites. We have seen chaos at work in the government. Divinations tell us a disaster is coming. And Maavu, you may have done more harm than good with your stunt. It could be just the excuse Skellerang needs to come hunt us down.”

“It wasn’t supposed to be violent,” lamented Maavu. “Not at all.”

The bard’s voice cut in, filled with a harsh edge. “Oh grow up Maavu. They set you up. The Last Laugh sent assassins into the crowd. How do you think the guards fell so quickly? They set you up and you played right into their hands.”

The bard was right of course – the riot was a powderkeg but someone took great pains to make sure the fuse lit.

“And what if they send the half-orcs to Redgorge?” asked the Foreman. “What if they find the Hall of Carvings?”

“There is only a remote chance of that,” said one man.

“But if they do it would be disasterous! The miners may fight to protect it and then what would happen?”

“Gentlemen, if I may?” interjected Elizabeth. “Have you had recent word from Cauldron?”

There was plenty said, but no one answered the question, which Elizabeth took as a negative.

“Then let me bring this word. Maavu has been sentenced to death.” Maavu grew pale at that news. “The challenge has been acknowledged but they claim that Alek is possessed by demons and therefore the challenge is not valid. And before we left, elementals were sent by someone very powerful to burn down the inn where the half-orcs were billeted.”

There was a great deal of discussion at all this, but nothing that was directly useful. Elizabeth again interrupted. “So none of you know what might have become of Sir Alek, or Lady Celeste?”

There was silence.

“Very well. We have a lead of our own to pursue and we will do so. I am not sure what else can be done for now.”

The Chisel was unhappy but had no solid plan on how to proceed. They did have knowledge of the headless demon statue, and to find it one simply floats down-river until you see it on the banks. The Foreman offered boats that the Blue Tygers could use in their mission, and the meeting broke up.

On their way back to the estate, Astrid asked “Tell me again which ones were the bad guys and which were the good guys?”

Elizabeth laughed. “I have no idea.”

“More importantly,” I said “which one is paying our fee?”

Zad

First Post
Demonskar Legacy – Chapter 3

OOC Notes:
Experience revision from last session: Revised figures are 3500 for 8th level characters, 4669 exp for 7th level. For those wondering why the revision, Wizardru has been looking ahead and looking at the material for coming adventures. Shackled City is full of great material but is not always totally clear on their expectations of where the characters will be level-wise at each adventure. So Wizardru is making occasional adjustments to help make sure we’re not underpowered for some coming encounters.

Exp for this session TBD later.

This Week’s Adventure:
As promised, everything was arranged for us. Two boats were set up and waiting, complete with a tow-behind raft to accommodate Glyph’s menagerie which wouldn’t fit in the boats. We were also given some basic instructions and a map. The river was slow and lazy here, but it would get brisk and deep at some points, and the girls decided that removing the plate armor would probably be a safe thing to do, even knowing they’d probably regret it later.

The girls were split between the boats and took primary rowing duty but at points everyone needed to pitch in just to get through some of the swifter currents. Maris did her level best but managed to exhaust herself the unaccustomed physical labor.

They weren’t lying when they said it was wild country, either. Not far out of Redgorge, the jungle closed in hard and fast and the was no sign of civilization. Life teemed everywhere in the jungle and the river. Fish jumped out of the water, chasing prey, and occasionally a clawed hand would reach up and snatch a fish. Fortunately the owner of the hand showed no interest in us. The intense effort of rowing the boats made the time pass quickly and before long, someone in the lead boat made out a large statue of a headless demon on the left bank. It took some hard pulling at the oars, but the girls managed to bring both boats up on shore in a smooth landing.

Just as we pulled up, I noticed most of the birds in the area startle and fly away. But after they had left, there were still birds calling back and forth. So if the birds had flown away, what was making bird calls?

The answer came with a volley of poisoned arrows from the jungle edge. Everyone dove down and got behind the boats as best they could, except Bellsin who slipped into the jungle’s cover. Peering over the boat’s edge we could make out gnolls in the jungle. They were wearing scraps and hides as armor, but their marksmanship was certainly refined.

Even though the beach was small and the jungle only a few paces away, Elizabeth and Astrid did not relish the idea of charging the gnolls without any armor on. Kris used a prayer to destroy one of the gnoll bows, but for the most part the Blue Tygers waited hoping to draw the gnolls out.

The gnolls weren’t coming through. Maris had started a long incantation and when it was clear the gnolls wouldn’t come, she let it fly. A massive gout of fire spread out in the middle of the line of gnolls. Jungle and flesh burned away with equal speed and the entire field stopped in a stunned moment.

The problem with indiscriminate fire is that it’s indiscriminate. Bellsin had been slipping in behind the gnoll leader when the fiery discharge washed over the gnolls, and over him. He fared better in that he survived where the gnolls were killed outright, but his flesh was burned black where any was left on his body.

Astrid and Elizabeth took advantage of the confusion to charge the gnolls. One went left, the other right, and started cutting down what was left of the gnoll line. Once the girls engaged, Kris moved in and did what he could to help Bellsin before he died outright.

The girls were able to finish the gnolls and Maris made sure the one who tried to flee didn’t make it far. I’m not sure that was any comfort to Bellsin though. Kris had used a lot of prayers to get Bellsin back on his feet.

Once the beach was safe, the girls got their armor on.

“Ok, we need some ground rules here,” Astrid started. “First off, we do not do the enemy’s work for them,” she said to Maris. “I thought we had gotten through this with Glyph.”

“More power is more dangerous to us than it is to them if you can’t control it Maris,” Elizabeth added.

“If you don’t know where everyone is, then you shouldn’t be laying down that kind of magic in that area,” Astrid agreed. “Second,” now Astrid turned to Bellsin “you need to at least give some idea of where you’re heading if you’re going out of sight. Otherwise you negate a powerful weapon. Something as small as ‘I’m going to hit the right flank’ can make all the difference.”

Maris didn’t say anything but she nodded with her head down. Bellsin also agreed quietly.

I said nothing, but I was beginning to worry about Maris. She was getting powerful now, and there were consequences she seemed to be ignoring. She seemed to do something just because she could, rather than if it was a good idea to do. I’m hoping that nearly killing Bellsin will give her a new perspective, but I’m still nervous.

Once the boats were hidden, the party set out down a crude trail that lead northwest from the statue. The jungle was thick on all sides save for the tiny trail, and every manner of creature seemed to lurk in the foliage. A tiger caught sight of us, but after reflection it seemed to decide that we weren’t prey, and moved on.

The trail lead not so much to a clearing but to an area where the brush was more trampled down. In the center was a large dirt mound with a hole in it leading downward. This would certainly be the cave marked “home” on the crude map on the silver plate. The cave itself was a landmark and only of interest because of that. But in the event something was in there, better to find it now than have it sneak up on us, so we entered the cave.

At the first bend we saw the half-eaten corpse of a baboon. “Whatever this thing is, it’s ok in my book,” commented Astrid. The baboon had been rotting for some time, and the bites that had been taken meant that this thing had a substantial mouth. A small room had the body of an ogre. It too was long-dead, but the ogre was quite old before it was killed. Beyond that was another room with a large, hairy creature eating another baboon. It was some kind of sloth with arms almost as long as its entire body, and it sniffed the air realizing we were close.

Bellsin was out in front and a prime target. With an arcane word he pulled the colors off his body and flung them at the sloth. It made the sloth blink and lose track of the now colorless Bellsin. Maris released a sickly purple ray at the sloth. “I took away some of its life energy,” she said as Elizabeth closed in, dodging carefully around the long arms. The sloth charged at her and rushed Kris, who had just fired one of the poisoned arrows at it. Elizabeth debated trying to stop the creature but the size and weight prompted her to step aside. The girls moved in, and Elizabeth cut deeply into the sloth’s back, which sent her reeling with a massive fist, and then grabbed her. Elizabeth only smiled slightly, watching Astrid behind the creature preparing to rain blows on the sloth. The sloth howled in anger at the assault, and tried to bite at Elizabeth, but before it could, Bellsin plunged his spear into one of the open wounds and the sloth shook and fell.

The mound was empty, save for half-eaten bodies in various stages of decay. Then Bellsin found a slender wand tossed in a corner. Kris immediately noticed the markings of St. Cuthbert on it. It’s magic was spent but it had been a wand of healing.

The last room in the cave was different from the rest. It was covered with a rambling sprawl written in giant. It was a long monologue about Gorg, self-proclaimed lord of this area after the tribe was separated. Gorg came here with the greatest treasure, the silver plate – the last vestige of treasure from the ancient masters and symbol of his leadership. The others in the tribe rejected him and his leadership and went some other direction.

“Sir Alek had the plate,” Bellsin commented. “I’ll wager Alek found the ogre, and killed him and took the plate. He used up his healing wand in the process.” It was logical – the sloth probably moved in after the ogre was dead.

The day was getting late, so we made camp here. The reputation of the sloth might help make for an uneventful night, and we moved out enough of the carrion so that the place was less revolting.

The night was quiet, except for a visitor during the first watch. Bellsin and Kris were up when we heard the flapping of large wings. “Oh no, it’s the dragon,” I thought. Fortunately I was wrong.

Silence filled the jungle as a creature with large feathered wings descended in front of the cave entrance. She had pale white skin and silvery eyes and wore light robes. She bore a sword that looked like a starry night.

She said in a quiet but clear voice “May I speak to Bellsin please?”

“An angel?” Bellsin said quietly to Kris.

“Technically, a movanic deva, a powerful astral being,” Kris replied.

I moved closer – she was either unaware or unconcerned about me. Bellsin stepped closer too, and she spoke quickly.

“Greetings. I cannot stay long. I’ve come to speak to both of you. Your memories will soon return Bellsin and soon you will understand the mark you bear.” She waved her hand and the mark of Carceri, the prison plane, appeared on Bellsin’s face. “Powerful forces of chaos and evil are on the move. I dare not remain here long lest my presence attract the attention of those forces or of the Judges. But I could not let you march into danger without warning. The Lord of the Demonskar knows of your approach and he and his minions prepare for your arrival. Just as they will with you, they did with Alek before you. You must remain resolute. Alek Tercival must be saved or Redgorge and perhaps even Cauldron are doomed. In the past invited danger by violating certain restrictions. Would that I could help you again this time but recently my shield has been removed. I have no aid to offer you but knowledge now.”

“In past ages, I provided Surabar Spellmason a powerful weapon to assist him in his conflict with the Lord of the Demonskar. This was Alakast, a quarterstaff infused with an undying hatred of the fiends of the outer rifts. It is a weapon of great power. Unfortunately Alakast was stolen centuries ago, ripped from the Spellmason’s tomb by graverobbers. From there it fell into hands of unspeakable forces. But do not despair – it is fated that Alakast will be wielded again against the Lord of the Demonskar. It has found its way to you, but you must claim it. Seek it in the lair of my false sisters, beyond the watchful eyes of the north. That is all I’m at liberty to say. I promise your memories will begin to return to you soon but this is in part because I cannot shield you from those who hunt you much longer.”

“I will try to aid you in the future as best I can but my time is almost done. If you save Sir Alek, you will know what to do next. I wish you well. Never lose sight of your goals and beware the Cages, for they seek to put you in one. If they succeed in that, Cauldron dies.”

With that, she sheathed her sword and flapped her wings once. She shot into the air, and the in a shimmer, disappeared.

Bellsin and Kris looked at each other, unsure of what to say next.

“Should we wake the others?” Kris finally said.

“Hm. No, let ‘em sleep. We can tell them in the morning.”

In the morning the reactions were much the same as the night before – stunned silence. So we set off into the jungle again.

After some more travel, the jungle ended abruptly. To the north we could see clouds roiling above the horizon, and a jagged scar of a chasm opened in the ground, surrounded by razor sharp volcanic glass and stone.

“The Demonskar,” Maris said in a whisper.

“I didn’t realize we were going to the Demonskar,” Glyph said.

“I didn’t realize there actually was a ‘Demonskar’” Elizabeth noted.

There were ruined structures around and in the Demonskar, protruding like broken fingers from a shattered grave. Nearby one large structure pushed out of the black earth – a large pipe. Since the map lead into the pipe, that’s where we went.

The pipe itself was remarkable and made from a metal Elizabeth didn’t recognize. Everyone put their heads together and concluded the pipe was made of isometril – an exotic metal that comes from some other plane. Intact it would be priceless, but the metal was somehow… corrupted.

We entered the pipe and promptly got lost. The map on the silver artifact was simplistic, and suggested there were only a few turns to be made. But the interior of the pipe had many more options than that, and it wasn’t long before we were lost and had to backtrack.

“Maybe we need to think more like an ogre,” Bellsin noted. “If we only look at turns that are large enough for an ogre to consider, it might work.”

Bellsin was right, and with that frame of reference he lead us flawlessly until we emerged out of the miles of pipework. As we emerged we saw a wide pit littered with jagged rocks and puddles of caustic fluids. A crudely carved wide stairway descended into the pit and curved around out of sight. But stranger was the humming sound – an odd low noise that would start and stop at irregular intervals. The noise increased substantially once we exited the pipe, and it was so loud as to make metal and crystal vibrate with the intensity. The noise seemed to come from the two giant metal tubes protruding straight up from the far side of the pit – two chimneys but unlike any conventional chimney.

We descended the crude stairs. They were clearly built for creatures larger than us, and we used a series of ropes to help keep from sliding off the edge. The toxic fumes became overpowering at times, and Glyph and Maris had to stop climbing occasionally due to the nausea.

The passage out of the pit was blocked by a large iron portcullis. Above was a small cave hardly big enough for a gnome that might lead to the other side. The portcullis itself looked old but cared for and likely operational.

“If we can find the mechanism maybe we can open it?” Glyph said. “If not I might be able to rust it apart.”

“Hm. I’ll see if I can’t find the mechanism first,” Elizabeth said. Elizabeth focused for a moment, and there was a sound on the wind like fresh rain. Elizabeth faded and became wispy and ghost like, and with a grin walked through the portcullis and floated upward.

And then stopped suddenly. There’s an ogre up there. No make that a giant. He’s hefting rocks waiting for us. I relayed to Astrid. I could try to take him out but I’m not sure that’s a good idea by myself. He’s sitting right at the opening mechanism.[i/]

The giant knew someone was down there, but from where he was he couldn’t see who and was wondering what was taking so long.

“Kaismo, did you whistle?” the giant yelled out.

Astrid understood him and figured there was little to lose by trying. “Yes, me whistled.”

“You not Muggo!” the giant yelled. “You intruders!”

Astrid shrugged and stepped into view. “Muggo sent me.”

“Me not believe you,” the giant said.

“Fine, not believe me, but when boss hears, you be in big trouble like you never seen before.”

The giant thought for a moment then made a painful show of trying to be clever. “What boss’ name then? Who send you?”

Astrid went for broke. “Nabthateron,” she said calmly.

The giant was immediately cowed. “Me open gate.”

Once the gate was open, the giant tried to be helpful. “Me haven’t seen the paladin.”

“And when did you last see him?” Astrid asked quickly.

“Hm. Um. Me let him through… not seen him since the last time.” The giant clearly had been left orders about the paladin – to allow him through.

“And when was that?” Astrid drove her point home hard by assuming the form of a skulven. Elizabeth was close enough to hear the giant under his breath trying to understand the party “Ghosty, demon, eyrines… me hate eyrines…”

The giant snapped up at the question. “Not see him for several days. Go in, not come out.”

“Then we will go find him,” Astrid declared.

“You want me to tell the hags?” the giant said, clearly dreading the task.

“No. I will tell them.” Astrid said, to the giant’s relief.

As we walked deeper into the fortress, the gate closed behind us with resounding finality.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Update coming soonish

We played last weekend and will play again Friday.
Last session was one long battle and Zad wants to have more to write about before posting the story hour.
Trust me in that the battle last weekend was FUN! We are really coming together as a group.
A quote "YOU GUYS SUCK! KEEP MOVING! wHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? i HATE YOU GUYS!"

WizarDru

Adventurer
I would look for a longish update next week. While the previous session was a Incredible Combat of Unusual Size (ICUS), it wouldn't necessarily translate well into a whole story hour chapter. There were story points of note, but they'll make more sense after the party attacks a few other items this time out.

It is possible that we will conclude Demonskar Legacy tonight. With a TPK? Why not? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads