ZEITGEIST [Zeitgeist] XP for adventures

Ultimate2099

First Post
I am going to be starting a Zeitgeist campaign next week for my group. I've read the player's guide and the campaign guide as well as the first adventure. It all looks great, much more creative than any of the WotC adventures I own, which tend to be excuses for encounters.

But I am new to the 4e system (my group usually does Star Wars or Vampire) and the WotC adventures all tend to spell out XP exactly. Zeitgeist includes the XP of individual baddies but nothing in terms or quest XP or skill challenge XP. How have other GMs handles XP? Do I just level them up at the end of the adventure, and if so how do I handle the next adventure, which Alan's multiple levels?

Also, does the way treasure works in Zeitgeist work in everyone's campaign, being more a matter of the RHC than just killing monsters and taking their stuff. I prefer it the Zeitgeist way but do players respond well to having to turn over magic items and being at the RHCs mercy for gold?

Lastly, how often do new adventures come out? I bought the first 4 and those look like they'll take a while, especially since each GM for our group runs every other week, meaning 2 sessions of each game a month. But I want to be certain I can count on more adventures when we wrap up the 4th one.

Thanks all. I'm really excited about running this Campaign, as I am a big fan of steampunk. In fact my last big campaign as GM a couple years ago was Deadlands.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Do I just level them up at the end of the adventure, and if so how do I handle the next adventure, which Alan's multiple levels?

Yep. Each adventure tells you when to level up.

Also, does the way treasure works in Zeitgeist work in everyone's campaign, being more a matter of the RHC than just killing monsters and taking their stuff. I prefer it the Zeitgeist way but do players respond well to having to turn over magic items and being at the RHCs mercy for gold?

I think that totally depends on the players. I thought my players would hate the idea but actually they've said they'd quite like it.

Lastly, how often do new adventures come out.

Every 3 months.

Ultimate2099

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Just out of curiosity does this campaign have any artifacts in it? I've played 4e a bit but as I prepare to run it I find I like the concept of the artifact a lot and might want to use them in my game.

"Artifact" tends to conjure up the image of an old relic with great power from ages past, powers forgotten in the modern day. ZEITGEIST focuses more on the march of progress into a future of magic and technology, so while there are grand magic items, they're typically recent inventions.

Adventure 3 has a few ancient relics -- rare magic items with unusual special powers -- but they don't use the 4e 'artifact' mechanics. So far the closest thing to that is

[sblock]Xambria's consciousness in adventure 3, if she bonds with a PC[/sblock].

Ultimate2099

First Post
"Artifact" tends to conjure up the image of an old relic with great power from ages past, powers forgotten in the modern day. ZEITGEIST focuses more on the march of progress into a future of magic and technology, so while there are grand magic items, they're typically recent inventions.

Adventure 3 has a few ancient relics -- rare magic items with unusual special powers -- but they don't use the 4e 'artifact' mechanics. So far the closest thing to that is

[sblock]Xambria's consciousness in adventure 3, if she bonds with a PC[/sblock].

Wow! Haven't read that far ahead yet, sounds awesome. I was considering creating a "Q" style NPC who outfits the party when they have the gold to spend. This would allow me to flavor magic items with a more steam punk feel. And I was thinking he might be able to develop some intelligent items later on, ala the artifacts rule. I've already had a request by one player to make him a Gunblade for his hulking warforged fighter.

Remove ads