zelandia - the homebrew setting based off New Zealand . Part 1

It is far more complicated than that on the mainland- dry east coast, hot deserty dry central regions (MacKenzie Country and Central Otago) Alpine (Southern Alps) and west coast is temperate rainforest (3-6 metres of rainfall on west coast vs about 600mm on east, across the Great Divide).

Westerly winds from the Tasman hit the Southern Alps and result in heavy rain on the West Caost- the winds are driven up over the alps and arrive here on the east coast as a hot dry Nor Wester. The South Island also gets cold winds,rain and snow from the Southern Ocean & Antarctica.

As for names rather than the extremely original English names- North & South Islands- really, that's the best they could think of? Why not go with the Maori names for the main islands.

South Island: Te Waipounamu. It is also called Te waka-o-maui (the waka of Maui).

North Island- Te Ika-a-Māui (the fish of Maui)- If you look closely the island is indeed fish shaped.

Here is the legend of how Aotearoa was formed:
The demigod Māui and his brothers were fishing from their canoe (the South Island) when he caught a great fish and pulled it from the sea. While he was not looking his brothers fought over the fish and chopped it up. This great fish became the North Island and thus a Māori name for the North Island is Te Ika-a-Māui ("The Fish of Māui"). The mountains and valleys are believed to have been formed as a result of Māui's brothers' hacking at the fish.

Stormdale

Haha was never gonna name them north and South Island . Because it’s d&d I would like to incorporate the primodials into the myth of the brothers. I think the setting needs to be influenced by primodials because I want the place to be very very ancient.

Last edited:

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just read the wikipedia page. This could be worked into their backstory: The kea nests in burrows or crevices among the roots of trees. Kea are known for their intelligence and curiosity, both vital to their survival in a harsh mountain environment. Kea can solve logical puzzles, such as pushing and pulling things in a certain order to get to food, and will work together to achieve a certain objective. They have been filmed preparing and using tools.

This makes me think that Intelligence and Dexterity would be their ability score increases. Perhaps they are the expert crafters of the region and receive 1 of a selection of artisan tools. I'm not sure how I would convert their ability to solve logic puzzles into the game other than an increase in intelligence, though getting the Investigation skill for free might represent it.

Something else I think of, although not a mechanical trait, if you've seen Empire Strikes Back (I've come to realise that I can no longer assume that people have watched the star wars movies), the scene where Yoda is going through all of Luke's gear looking at things and throwing things around, that would be a kea. Explorers from other lands could wake up to find their campsite getting pulled apart by Kea who are looking at everything.

I just read the wikipedia page. This could be worked into their backstory: The kea nests in burrows or crevices among the roots of trees. Kea are known for their intelligence and curiosity, both vital to their survival in a harsh mountain environment. Kea can solve logical puzzles, such as pushing and pulling things in a certain order to get to food, and will work together to achieve a certain objective. They have been filmed preparing and using tools.

This makes me think that Intelligence and Dexterity would be their ability score increases. Perhaps they are the expert crafters of the region and receive 1 of a selection of artisan tools. I'm not sure how I would convert their ability to solve logic puzzles into the game other than an increase in intelligence, though getting the Investigation skill for free might represent it.

Something else I think of, although not a mechanical trait, if you've seen Empire Strikes Back (I've come to realise that I can no longer assume that people have watched the star wars movies), the scene where Yoda is going through all of Luke's gear looking at things and throwing things around, that would be a kea. Explorers from other lands could wake up to find their campsite getting pulled apart by Kea who are looking at everything.

I absolutely love that kea idea!! Kea could be tinkerers and scavangers who love to build and take shiny things ?

Maybe as lore for the main islands creation (no island name yet) a mythical hero/god/Demi god based off Māui (maybe the kiwi or tui race) slew an ancient primordial or other great being and the body become the land they live on now.

Stormdale

Explorer
For kea’s I was thinking a lot smaller than the other bird species and I was suggested before they be the tricksters of the races. Also dwell in alpine areas.

The kea is quite a large parrot (world's only alpine parrot) and is about 48cm/20" tall. Tui etc are much smaller.

As for bird races not sure if you've included them but the Kereru (wood pidgeon) is another quite large native bird which pre-colonisation times were very common- used to fly in large flocks but these days 2-3 together around where I live is the most you are likely to see.

Stormdale

The kea is quite a large parrot (world's only alpine parrot) and is about 48cm/20" tall. Tui etc are much smaller.

As for bird races not sure if you've included them but the Kereru (wood pidgeon) is another quite large native bird which pre-colonisation times were very common- used to fly in large flocks but these days 2-3 together around where I live is the most you are likely to see.

Stormdale
The kereru could be an option 🤔 maybe a solitary race . I’m literally writing down everything you guys post so I can brainstorm.

Remove ads