• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zero Level PCs

GRStrayton

First Post
Someone has probably already done something like this, but you can check out my take on zero-level PCs at the link below. They're meant for introducing very inexperienced players to the game or for challenging very experienced players to survive level zero and make it to 1st. :)

Zero-Level PCs Legends & Labyrinths

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Someone has probably already done something like this, but you can check out my take on zero-level PCs at the link below. They're meant for introducing very inexperienced players to the game or for challenging very experienced players to survive level zero and make it to 1st. :)

Zero-Level PCs Legends & Labyrinths

Without even looking my response was oh god yuck who wants to play a minion.
A quick reaction any way - Removing class features might decimate some characters and have very little effect on others or will it? being unfamiliar with essentials .... I cant be sure. A hexblade without his features/encounters or dailies is bleh isnt he?

GRStrayton

First Post
Much simpler than mine

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan...cters-playing-minions-0-level-characters.html

but an interesting take. You go from no power to several powers, while mine had a more progressive take.

I had questions for clarification.

I would surmise that the 0 levels in your rules also get basic attacks (STR and DEX) at wills along with Bull Rush in addition to class at wills?

Yes, you get everything (including basic attacks) EXCEPT encounter and daily powers. So, you have all your at-wills (stances, tricks, powers, etc.). The idea is to make a simple system so very young/inexperienced players don't have too many choices to make ("Should I use up my Daily now?") as they get to learn how the game works on a very basic level. They should quickly level to 1st, so by the time they understand how to play, they'll be ready for the addition of encounters and dailies (which for some reason seems to cause the most problems with new, young players -- this is based on an afterschool program a friend runs for 8-10 year-olds).

I look at it as an intro to the game for those who have never played any kind of tabletop RPG before.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Without even looking my response was oh god yuck who wants to play a minion.
A quick reaction any way - Removing class features might decimate some characters and have very little effect on others or will it? being unfamiliar with essentials .... I cant be sure. A hexblade without his features/encounters or dailies is bleh isnt he?

I always loved playing 0 level type adventures. It is not as though one stays at Level 0 forever...

I suppose that is one difference between the way people play, and what they focus on as most important.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I always loved playing 0 level type adventures. It is not as though one stays at Level 0 forever...

I suppose that is one difference between the way people play, and what they focus on as most important.

Yeh, bob, dead, bob2 dead, bob3 dead...

Not forever just the rest of the characters pointlessly fragile little life.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Yeh, bob, dead, bob2 dead, bob3 dead...

Not forever just the rest of the characters pointlessly fragile little life.

I guess if the were picking a fight with hezrou, yes. It seems, liek any other level, one would need to construct appropriate challenges, goals, and barriers for Level 0 Pcs.

Again, different strokes ....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I guess if the were picking a fight with hezrou, yes. It seems, liek any other level, one would need to construct appropriate challenges, goals, and barriers for Level 0 Pcs.

Again, different strokes ....

When we first learned 4e the first thing we did was play out a prequel scene where my swordmage was a kid getting picked on by a bully... he is an inteligent blademaster and we had a SM/Teacher at the school notice him. It was interesting and the purpose was indeed to learn bull rushes and basic attacks and minor actions using page 42 and movement choices and charges and so on. I indeed enjoyed it we had the fight end at bloodied.

At some level I am just giving a hard time.

But at another it seems like if the character had been a different class maybe the wizard not having the features would have made it lame.

Stalker0

Legend
In my friend's game we did something similar but the power level was even lower.

Basically no one had classes at 0th.

No at-will.

HP equal to your con score.

1 healing surge.

In that game the goal was to find your mentor which would then give you your class, and then we became 1st level characters.

I think your idea is simple and easy to implement, and should get the job done.

Remove ads