• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zone Damage

Kazoo

First Post
For many damaging zones it states, "Each creature that enters the zone or starts its turn there takes..."

When the power is first used and the zone appears do you apply the damage to anyone that is within, counting it as if they 'entered' the zone? Also, do you apply the damage to someone if you move the zone over someone, once again counting it as if they 'entered' the zone?

We have been playing it that they don't take damage since the creature is not entering the zone, they were already there. I just want to clarify we are playing it correctly.

Thanks.

Dice4Hire

First Post
For many damaging zones it states, "Each creature that enters the zone or starts its turn there takes..."

When the power is first used and the zone appears do you apply the damage to anyone that is within, counting it as if they 'entered' the zone? Also, do you apply the damage to someone if you move the zone over someone, once again counting it as if they 'entered' the zone?

We have been playing it that they don't take damage since the creature is not entering the zone, they were already there. I just want to clarify we are playing it correctly.

Thanks.

I always do damage on them entering the zone, whether willingly or not, not on the zone 'entering' them, but in Russia, it may be different ;)

Aulirophile

First Post

Thanks.
No to the first, yes to the second. Creating is not entering, the zone wandering over to them is. Note that sustainable moveable zones have their own sustain rule, the caster must be in the range the power (whatever the initial range is, if it is area 1 within 10 the range is 10) and must have LoE to it.

Last edited:

firesnakearies

Explorer
I rule it as "enters" means "changes from a state of not being in the zone to a state of being in the zone" regardless of whether or not the character moved or otherwise chose to be in the zone. So if a zone appears, and you're in it now, you've "entered" it. If a zone moves, and now you're in it, you've "entered" it.

Edit: However, I'd rule that you can only suffer damage from "entering" a zone once per creature's turn, at the most. (So, zone guy doesn't get to walk back and forth over two squares several times on his turn, applying zone damage to you over and over.)

Last edited:

The official ruling is that 'entering' means the creature moving into the zone. Creating the zone on top of them or moving it on top of them doesn't count as entering.

Of course MOST zones that do damage also attack any creature in the zone when they are created and at the start of a creature's turn, so they WILL take damage, just maybe not instantly. For example Stinking Cloud, which is probably the one you're specifically thinking of as the most famous zone of this type attacks whomever is in it when its created and damages anyone starting their turn in it or moving into it. So basically once they're in the zone SOME damage is unavoidable.

Kazoo

First Post
I'm actually thinking of Plague of Frogs, but yes, your right, it does have an initial attack.

Thanks for the answer.

Remove ads