• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zone of Truth

paranoid

Is it detectable via detect magic or similar divinations that a subject is affected by a Zone of Truth spell? i.e., can the caster detect an enchantment [compulsion] effect on the subject? If not, how can it be determined whether the target makes its save or fails it?
Is the spell reliably usable at all?

thanks,
p.

Bauglir

First Post
srd said:
Succeeding on a Saving Throw: A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed. You do not sense when creatures succeed on saves against effect and area spells.

So I guess you can't tell if someone makes a save vs Zone of Truth that way.

Personally I would allow Detect Magic to pick up individual enchantment auras on those people affected by the spell. I can't see any good case not to. YMMV naturally :p

Jhulae

First Post
Bauglir said:
So I guess you can't tell if someone makes a save vs Zone of Truth that way.

Personally I would allow Detect Magic to pick up individual enchantment auras on those people affected by the spell. I can't see any good case not to. YMMV naturally :p

Well, I'd probably say that your 'Detect Magic' is going to detect the Zone of Truth. There'd be no stronger aura if they fail a save, and no less of an aura, because the inherent Zone aura would be prevalent. And, if they leave the area, the effect is off of them anyway. That would be my interpretation of how it would work.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Bauglir

First Post
srd:Detect Magic said:
Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.
This would certainly apply. It says "may distort" though. So I guess under the RAW it's up to the DM :)

allenw

Explorer
If you want to *know* whether or not someone's telling the truth (barring magical protections or misdirections), you'll have to wait to be able to cast Discern Lies, which is individually targetted.

Remove ads