D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

Last edited:

duneguy

Explorer
I like the new format, from what I can see from squinting. Reducing the number of spell options by removing trap options is a good idea. Looking at the bard, I like how they replaced Shatter with a somewhat similar non-spell combat ability (Cacophany) that you don't have to look up in the PHB.

Edit: Similarly, war priest's number of spells is way down, and it has a completely decent multiattack that allows you to run a simple combat without looking up spells.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
I like the new format, from what I can see from squinting. Reducing the number of spell options by removing trap options is a good idea. Looking at the bard, I like how they replaced Shatter with a somewhat similar non-spell combat ability (Cacophany) that you don't have to look up in the PHB.

Edit: Similarly, war priest's number of spells is way down, and it has a completely decent multiattack that allows you to run a simple combat without looking up spells.
Yeah, Jeremy went into a little more depth about the changes when referencing the war priest. He talks about how they wanted to make it clearer what combat-oriented abilities these NPCs have that contribute to their CR instead of leaving them buried in the Spellcasting trait.

So the war priest now has a Holy Fire action, and its weapon deals extra radiant damage, and it's got a healing bonus action.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, Jeremy went into a little more depth about the changes when referencing the war priest. He talks about how they wanted to make it clearer what combat-oriented abilities these NPCs have that contribute to their CR instead of leaving them buried in the Spellcasting trait.

So the war priest now has a Holy Fire action, and its weapon deals extra radiant damage, and it's got a healing bonus action.
Are these new features, or the combat-oriented spells rendered as monster attacks and traits?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases