D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images. The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in...

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

Most previous editions since 3e have had a Psion class and other Psionic classes, psionic races, and Psionic books, yeah it's a safe bet the Psion has its fans.
But a big part of the reason the Psion had fans was the mechanical hack part of it that meant that you didn't have to faff with Vancian casting. That's gone. And the Aberrant Mind has just about everything you'd expect from a Psion only with a couple more tentacles.

But a big part of the reason the Psion had fans was the mechanical hack part of it that meant that you didn't have to faff with Vancian casting. That's gone. And the Aberrant Mind has just about everything you'd expect from a Psion only with a couple more tentacles.

And yet there are those still asking for a full Psion Class, there is a market for it and along with the Warlord and Swordmage are the most requested classes still. For some the subclasses just don't scratch that itch, so they will make one more attempt and if THAT doesn't work they will likely say screw it and do Darksun with just psionic gifts and subclasses.

Scribe

Legend
And yet there are those still asking for a full Psion Class, there is a market for it and along with the Warlord and Swordmage are the most requested classes still. For some the subclasses just don't scratch that itch, so they will make one more attempt and if THAT doesn't work they will likely say screw it and do Darksun with just psionic gifts and subclasses.
I wish someone could summarize and document what exactly (and I do mean exactly, I know GL on the internet...) it is that is needed for these 3 things.

Psion, Warlord, Swordmage.

Li Shenron

Legend
So, going through and doing a quick count of stat blocks in Table of Contents for both Volo's and Mordenkainen's, it looks like there are 127 stat blocks in the former, and 140 stat blocks in the latter, for a total of 267 (granted it was a quick count, so there might be some repeats listed, but it's going to be in the general vicinity). As they said there would be "over 250 monsters", I'm beginning to think we're just getting everything from Volo's and Mordenkainen's updated. I would very much hope we'll be seeing at least a few more from other sources, but even 267 is a bit high for "over 250" (they might very well go with "over 260" at that point, so it's not inconceivable they might drop a few).
I missed that they said over 250... in that case, it probably means ALL stats from those 2 books, so essentially they merged the crunch from those and left all the fluff chapters out.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

How many people though?

People on forums don't count. Their number is too low to be of consequence.

I missed that they said over 250... in that case, it probably means ALL stats from those 2 books, so essentially they merged the crunch from those and left all the fluff chapters out.
I also counted wrong on the Volo's stat blocks, there are only 96 (I suspected there were repeats in its table of contents!). So 236 stat blocks from those books, which gives us 14+ from other sources, if they don't cut some VGtM and MToF stat blocks, that is (I'm wondering if they might cut the Demon Lord and Archdevil stat blocks from MToF for re-release in a Planescape product, and just leave this book with monsters and no individuals)

Remove ads

Remove ads