D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images. The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in...

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They are breaking up the monster groups.

So no "demons" section. Presumably no devils, animals, NPCs sections...each of these gets its own separate entry.

I think this sort of thing was shot down pretty hard in the Next playtest. I‘m not sure if they are thinking the tastes of the current demographic have changed or if they are just testing the waters to see what people will think.

(Not a fan myself especially as a player, since I expect to theoretically be able to acquire a reasonable approximation of any special abilities an NPC demonstrates.)

Omand

Hero

So no "demons" section. Presumably no devils, animals, NPCs sections...each of these gets its own separate entry.
Still processing this change myself.

I have always liked having the demons, devils, dragons, dinosaurs, etc. togther (interesting that the D section had a lot of groups). I found it easy to use, especially if the book had good search tools.

That said, 5E has not been noted for good Tables of Contents or Indexes, so this might work out better.

I will have to see to judge how the end product works out.

Cheers :)

I read that as that they weren't going to have appendices for regular animals and NPCs, but mix them in with the main text of the bestiary, but until we get more info, I could be very well misinterpreting it. If they do flat out alphabetize everything individually, however, it's really going to be hard to place flavor texts for related groups. They could, of course, just make the entries "Demon: Hezrou" in order to keep such groups together.

Remove ads

Remove ads