D&D 5E Zooming In On Monsters of the Multiverse [UPDATED!]

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images. The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in...

Earlier, WotC announced Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse, a new D&D compilation of monster material from previous products updated to a new format. These screen grabs are as good as I could get them. They're not terribly clear, but you can make more out than in the original images.

The screenshots show the original entry in Volo's Guide to Monsters next to the new entry in Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse.

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.29.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.30.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-27 at 12.31.47 AM.png

UPDATE -- a cleaned up version of the War Priest has appeared on imgur.

1nFCAVj.png

I'm in agreement with others that the book is unlikely to include names characters. The original Monster Manual doesn't really, and this seems very much like a book meant for folks who want "Core Rules." Meaning, no named characters or anything setting-specific.
If it's a remaster of already existing books, why would they take content out of the book.

The Demon Lords and Archdevils are incredibly Iconic D&D creatures dating back to the Eldritch Wizardry in Original D&D.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If it's a remaster of already existing books, why would they take content out of the book.
To fit something else, because there’s only so much space in the book. It won’t contain every monster stat block from every book, just the ones that can easily fit into any campaign in any setting.

The Demon Lords and Archdevils are incredibly Iconic D&D creatures dating back to the Eldritch Wizardry in Original D&D.
And they’ll still exist. But I don’t think they fit the scope of this book, from what they’ve said so far. But hey, I could be wrong.

To fit something else, because there’s only so much space in the book. It won’t contain every monster stat block from every book, just the ones that can easily fit into any campaign in any setting.

And they’ll still exist. But I don’t think they fit the scope of this book, from what they’ve said so far. But hey, I could be wrong.
The book is outright said to be merging Volo's guide with Tome of Foes. The Fiend Lords were a notable part, it would not make sense to remove them, as they already fit into any campaign in any setting, just as much as any fiend under their command does. Unless you are suggesting they are going to remove all the Demons and Devils from the book.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I actually kinda hope that they're not in this book. I already have them reprinted a ton, from Out of the Abyss, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a couple from Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus. I don't need them a fourth time, and it would make room for other monsters to be reprinted and updated.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The book is outright said to be merging Volo's guide with Tome of Foes.
Where was that stated? My understanding was that it was a compilation of setting-agnostic monster stats from across various books (probably including Volo’s, Mordenkainen’s, and the Monster Manual, and possibly including others).
The Fiend Lords were a notable part, it would not make sense to remove them, as they already fit into any campaign in any setting, just as much as any fiend under their command does.
Not so. A chain devil could easily fit into Eberron or Ravnica or Theros. Asmodeus could not.
Unless you are suggesting they are going to remove all the Demons and Devils from the book.
No, that would be silly.

Where was that stated? My understanding was that it was a compilation of setting-agnostic monster stats from across various books (probably including Volo’s, Mordenkainen’s, and the Monster Manual, and possibly including others).

Not so. A chain devil could easily fit into Eberron or Ravnica or Theros. Asmodeus could not.

No, that would be silly.
Nothing suggested it was setting agnostic, it's title suggests the opposite "Monsters from across the multiverse" And it likely won't contain anything from the Monster Manual because there is a new version of the Monster Manual coming in a few years. And it is part of the rules expansion set, not the core set.

Asmodeus is not part of any book. But to the point any Demon Lord or Arch Devil can show up in Eberron as an Overlord, or by planejumping in Ravnica or Theros. (Which have Demons and Devils)

Omand

Hero

No, that would be silly.
That the main parts of Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse will be the bestiaries from Volo's and Mordenkainen's was presented in the D&D Celebration livestream.

But, the exact details are still unknown.

Cheers :)

I actually kinda hope that they're not in this book. I already have them reprinted a ton, from Out of the Abyss, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a couple from Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus. I don't need them a fourth time, and it would make room for other monsters to be reprinted and updated.
Or, if they are reprinted, just reprint them in a dedicated Planescape book. Since it's fairly reasonable to assume we'll see Planescape this year, it's not even as if there will be that long of a wait...

Remove ads

Remove ads