Gale Force 9 Comments On Brazil Translatorgate

In the wake of Brazil Tanslatorgate, Dungeons & Dragons licensee Gale Force Nine has made a statement regarding the dispute between Fire on Board and FMR about the rights to translate D&D 5th Edition into Portuguese for he Brazilian audience. They have put translation plans for Brazil on hold pending an investigation. As yet, WotC has issued no comment.

In the wake of Brazil Tanslatorgate, Dungeons & Dragons licensee Gale Force Nine has made a statement regarding the dispute between Fire on Board and FMR about the rights to translate D&D 5th Edition into Portuguese for he Brazilian audience. They have put translation plans for Brazil on hold pending an investigation. As yet, WotC has issued no comment.

D-D-Logo.jpg

Gale Force Nine Comments on D&D Localizations

Gale Force Nine has been working for over a year on our plan to publish localized language versions of DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fifth edition products. Throughout the process, we met and considered many partners around the world based on the same criteria: a passion for the material and a commitment to deliver the complete plan. We wanted to offer every country the entire D&D fifth edition experience and the partners we have chosen to work with will be doing just that.

Currently, we are speaking with all parties involved in Brazil to sort out the situation. Our goal is to ensure fans can enjoy the products in their local language of choice and we are committed to supporting those fans and their community. As such our product release plans for this market are on hold until we ​fully investigate and ​hopefully resolve th​is issue. We apologize to D&D fans in Brazil for any delay this may cause but we’ll do our best to have a solution in place soon.

John-Paul Brisigotti
CEO Battlefront Group
GF9 is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Battlefront Group
SaveSave

volanin

Adventurer
Finally an official answer!
The rule is clear: if you betray ALL your allies, you don't have any left within 5ft. to allow an sneak attack!
#DndGateBR

Why is every controversy called "*gate"?

It started with the Watergate scandal.
Since then, the -gate suffix has been colloquially used to any kind of scandal.

volanin

Adventurer
Gale Force Nine facebook page is exploding with messages of "congratulations" from Brazilian players.

- "We waited for years, we don't mind waiting a little more."
- "I'm so happy! I love D&D and with justice done, I'll happily buy."
- "Thank you for your consideration with D&D Brazilian fans"

discosoc

First Post
Why is every controversy called "*gate"?

It's a play on Watergate, and originally used in a slightly-ironic manner by comparing relatively trivial "controversies" to the very real and serious Watergate scandal. Like most things in the internet age, it quickly spiraled into a generic meme that everyone uses so often that it's now just normal language.

discosoc

First Post
It's still a mystery to me how it took them 2 years to even start translations.

Probably ran into problems figuring out how to translate text with multiple meanings and intentions for individual words (like "target"). I'm half joking... but only half. It very well could be a rough thing to make work.

volanin

Adventurer
It's still a mystery to me how it took them 2 years to even start translations.
It's my opinion that, after OGL allowed the unintended creation of the Pathfinder giant, which eclipsed D&D for years, WoTC is taking things reaaaaaly slow now. Better being late to the market than completely losing it. And there are still some things that would basically bring in a lot of money, but WoTC won't allow: like PDF versions of books.

Remove ads

Remove ads