Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Radoon will make his way to the capt and whisper.

"I'd love to have his talents but is this our call or Marin's?"

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

Scotley said:
An older halfling woman comes in with a tray of small plates, bread, cheese, jam and smoked fish. A second tray with a large steaming tea pot, cups, cream, a sliced lemon and some honey follows. "Would you like anything else Terry?" He responds, "No that should do for now. Put your coin away Nurl, consider yourself my guest."

"Please, our guest, if you will Master Terry. I am Morwyn Sachiel, by the good will of the Honorable Marin captain of this vessel, the Rumpled Bedsheet, though she's fondly known as the 'Sheet. Welcome aboard.

Thank you, Mrs. Abelard; you've outdone yourself once again.

With a nod to Radoon, "I'm a little confused, Nurl. When you were announced, it was said that you came from Captain Marin, but you said that you were merely in the area. Have you known Captain Marin long?

Rather than start at the beginning and boring you with old news, perhaps you could tell us what you know of our mission and we can fill in the gaps?

It's difficult to tell while he's seated, but the speaker appears even taller than Rook, though more slightly built. He appears too young to be captain; you're fairly certain that he hasn't reached his full growth yet. His hair is black with hints of blue and his eyes are the blue-grey of a winter sea. His skin is tanned and shows sign of wind and salt.

His shoulders are unusually broad - he's definitely built like a powerful swimmer. To confirm that impression, his hands are webbed to the first knuckle. You're not certain, but sometimes when he blinks it looks like he may have a second set of clear eyelids.

Morwyn is wearing a suit of sharkskin leather armor with two belt knives and a brace of throwing knives at his belt. A Dwarven war axe, glowing faintly in the morning light, is within easy reach.

Leif

Adventurer
Thank you, Morwyn. After giving it some thought, you gents just go about your business as before. I will remain in the background, and offer whatever help I can. I would appreciate if someone would tell me when they think I might be of service, but otherwise, I'll just go with the flow and fake it.

Last edited:

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

"We're discussing plans to try to rescue the son of Captain Marin. It seems that Finn and Rook are going to try some sort of trickery to get past the guards so that they can disable the floating walls that surround our target.

Do you have any arcane talents which might help ensure their success, Nurl?

Leif

Adventurer
Erland said:
"We're discussing plans to try to rescue the son of Captain Marin. It seems that Finn and Rook are going to try some sort of trickery to get past the guards so that they can disable the floating walls that surround our target.

Do you have any arcane talents which might help ensure their success, Nurl?
Yes, Morwyn, my talents are...um...well, you might say... perfectly suited to just such a deception. You see, my talents lie in "seeming" and "appearances," but I think we all know that our eyes cannot always be trusted. *wink, wink*

And, now that you have mentioned the plan somewhat, or at least given me a clue as to how to proceed, I can think of at least two ways in which this problem might be approached. The first option is that I could cover their approach with an illusion that all was just as it was before. The second is that I could create a diversion with an illusion in a place far removed from them so that the attention of our enemies would be distracted and they could slip in quickly and quietly. A third option would involve making them both invisible, and then they could approach at their leisure, but I would argue that we should still create as much of a distraction as possible, just to make sure. The problem with invisibility is that they will also be invisible to each other, and so they will have extreme difficulty in coordinating their efforts. Perhaps tieing them together by a good, stout length of rope might help in that instance?

Last edited:

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

"As I don't know what Finn has in mind, I'll let you work out the details with him as we make our way to our target. However, many of our foes have been undead; will your illusions work on such an opponent? I don't need an answer, just something for you to keep in mind.

Terry, the six of us will take a ship's boat as the most direct means of travel. Please bring the 'Sheet as close as you can manage."

I'll give Terry the best instructions I can, based upon previous scouting missions and the view I got through the scope.

Leif

Adventurer
undead??!!! Get my big nose outta here! hehe

Hmmm, that is a problem. Well, I could turn the two of them invisible, but then they would be invisible to see each other also, and as soon as they struck a blow in anger they would re-appear. So that is not a perfect solution either. How well do they PRECISELY know the specific location to which they will be going? (I was wondered about the possibility of teleporting directly to your destination, accomplishing your task, and then hurriedly teleporting away again. But of course I cannot do this because I don't yet have the ability to cast that spell, so never mind.) Gentlemen, if you please? I feel a git odd discussing you in the third person while you are standing right here with me!

Last edited:

Remove ads