Island Empire Part 2, Mermaid's Rest

Scotley

Hero
OOC: After the discussions at breakfast it should be fairly early in the morning.

Radoon finds the crew to be a bit worse off from their night of excess, but also in good spirits. The hammering of repairs does seem a bit softer than yesterday, but otherwise things are proceeding normally. They seem pleased to have Radoon checking up on them.

Marienna also seems pleased to have a visit from Radoon. She makes small talk for a while and agrees to dinner. All in all Radoon is having a fine day.

Scotley

Hero
Luncheon with Captain deGrassi

After a nap Rook, Finn and Captain Morwyn set off for the "Lady in White."

OOC: Will you go on foot or by boat?

Scotley

Hero
The 'Rest by boat

With two stout seamen at the oars the longboat is soon away, with Finn, Rook and Morwyn aboard dressed in their best clothes. The 'Rest looks a little different from the water than on the ramps. It seems busier, more active. Small boats are darting about with seemingly no order. Many are vendors hawking their wares or taxi services. Further out fishing boats strive to bring in food for the teeming masses at the 'Rest. The people are in a constant struggle to maintain the rotting fleet of vessels that make up the floating island. The sound of hammers, saws and shouts of workers are all around. The smell of hot tar barely covers the odor of floating garbage and raw waste in the water. Occationally, cooking smells dominiate for a short distance, but are soon lost in the stench. A boat festooned with bundles of hanging dried peppers and herbs seems to be doing a brisk business. Small flatboats with kegs of water and beer as outriggers are common. Soon the 'Lady in White' Appears. The ship has been washed in something that has turned the stout oak timbers a pale greenish white color. The ship is large yet somehow graceful. An old design, but one that has stood the test of time and sister ships are being constructed even now some 25 years after this keel first touched water. The ship appears to be emaculately maintained. The sailors aboard all wear crisp uniforms and the lines are run with geometric presision. As your small boat arrives a folding gangway is lowered from the maindeck to reach the small long boat and lines are lowered. An honor guard of two and an officer are waiting at an opening in the railing at the top of the stair to welcome you aboard.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook

Rook's part here is to look dangerous and inscrutable, keep his mouth shut and his eyes and ears open. He'll follow Finn's lead, as Finn is the one who's established this contact.

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

As we prepare to board the "Lady in White", Finn stands and salutes the colors at the brow of the ship, then turns to salute the officer standing at the top of the gangplank. "Greetings, sir. Captain Morwyn, Mister Rook, and Seaman Phineas Hunter of the "Rumpled Bedsheet" to see Captain De Grassie by appointment."

Scotley

Hero
The officer replies, "Good morning Captain, gentlemen, please come aboard." You are led up to the ward room at the aft of the ship. It is a nice airy room with some large windows open; however you note heavy shutters are available. The room is somewhat more feminine that is the norm for such things. While there are some momentos on the walls of ships past and even some weapons, the colors are lighter and the furniture softer. A couple of rubber tree plants and an elaborate 'bonsi' tree are also in the room. A table has been set for four. A young messboy stands by. Soon Captain De Grassie enters flanked by her executive officer. She is a woman in her early sixties, but aging gracefully. She is thin, but as she greets each of you and shakes hands her grip is firm and an agile musculature is evident. She is perhaps 5'6" in her deck shoes and wears a white uniform with a long fitted skirt. She kisses Finn on the cheek as she welcomes you. "A pleasure to meet you all. I was out early this morning and had a look at your ship. Most unusual, but somehow it doesn't surprise me since Mr. Hunter is involved with your enterprise. Please have a seat and I'll have them start the meal." She takes a larger seat at the head of the small table and motions to the other chairs. Soon a fruit punch with a modest amout of rum in it is served and a salad of chopped cabbage and assorted baby vegetables with a spicy yet sweet dressing is placed before you. "Thank you for the gift Finn, most interesting to be sure and not something most people would give a woman of my age. I suppose I am flattered." The each course is accompanied by a wine, first a light white wine with the salad and a heartier rose with the soup. The food is excellent and the mess boys very proper. As the salad is replaced by a bowl of thick rich chowder with clams, potatos and leeks she says, "We need not stand on ceremony and await the end of the meal. I hope you'll not take it as rude if we get down to business. I must confess I'm quite curious to know what is going on."

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

As with Rook, Morwyn will also follow Finn's lead. I'll watch him for any cues, but otherwise observe the proceedings as a whole.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

Scott,

I'll just take the time aboard tomget to know the crew and do the things I love to do while we await Finn and Rooks return.

SirCaith

First Post
Finn Hunter

"Ah, Captain De Grassie, have you not heard the phrase 'Age doth not wither her'? Surely the poet who scribed that had you in mind. The gift was a spur of the moment thing, something I was sure would recall myself to your memory, as it was an exotic thing. Might I add that your chef is to be commended, this meal is excellent."

"As for what brings us here, I first must ask for your discretion, well known as it is. We are here seeming as something other than we are in order to rescue someone and send those who have imprisoned him to ignoble defeat. Per chance, have you heard of the woes of the Marin fleet of the last year?"

Remove ads