S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Gold OOC - Recruiting

s@squ@tch

First Post
OK, so the creature fell unconscious after Asenfel's blast.

The way I see it, on its turn (since it goes first each combat round), it would get its regeneration (I'm assuming this would be considered a free action), then return to consciousness, allowing it a full turn of action -- which it uses as two move actions -- one to stand up, the other to shamble off a bit more into the brush.

Now, the question to what happens to the folks inside is a sticky wicket. Would those coming after Asenfel's turn that are swallowed AND not-paralyzed (i.e. Lo-Kag) be able to win an unopposed grapple check? The rules really don't specify things one way or another. On one hand, you are inside a creature, and in the real world, when something goes unconscious, their internal organs and systems (the important one in this case is the digestive tract) usually continues to function.

I'm inclined to give Lo-Kag a choice between getting a non-lethal attack (unopposed) or a successful grapple check (to climb back into the mouth).

But since it acts first in the next round (before Dreadnought), I can't imagine him getting the same chance as Lo-Kag.

Keep in mind that although the creature is unconscious, the acid damage in the gullet will continue on all those inside.

I'm open to discussion to make sure that the correct things happen -- the whole grapple/swallow whole/regeneration combination has a lot of room for interpretation, and I don't want anyone to feel they were railroaded.

s@squ@tch

First Post
OK, partial for round 6 is up, anyone who has posted an action already (like Morph) can change their action if needed, due to the new circumstances.

Shayuri

First Post
s@squ@tch said:
OK, so the creature fell unconscious after Asenfel's blast.

The way I see it, on its turn (since it goes first each combat round), it would get its regeneration (I'm assuming this would be considered a free action), then return to consciousness, allowing it a full turn of action -- which it uses as two move actions -- one to stand up, the other to shamble off a bit more into the brush.

Now, the question to what happens to the folks inside is a sticky wicket. Would those coming after Asenfel's turn that are swallowed AND not-paralyzed (i.e. Lo-Kag) be able to win an unopposed grapple check? The rules really don't specify things one way or another. On one hand, you are inside a creature, and in the real world, when something goes unconscious, their internal organs and systems (the important one in this case is the digestive tract) usually continues to function.

I'm inclined to give Lo-Kag a choice between getting a non-lethal attack (unopposed) or a successful grapple check (to climb back into the mouth).

But since it acts first in the next round (before Dreadnought), I can't imagine him getting the same chance as Lo-Kag.

Keep in mind that although the creature is unconscious, the acid damage in the gullet will continue on all those inside.

I'm open to discussion to make sure that the correct things happen -- the whole grapple/swallow whole/regeneration combination has a lot of room for interpretation, and I don't want anyone to feel they were railroaded.

As always, the GM's interpretation carries the day...however, I caution against too much "In the real world" thinking. The rules place unconscious creatures pretty firmly in the category of "defeated," since they automatically fail saves, are considered 'willing' for the purposes of spells, and so on. Allowing it to continue grappling while unconscious seems not in the -spirit- of the rules, though there's no explicit rule against that interpretation that I'm aware of. The SRD refers to an unconscious creature as helpless though...and goes on to say that, among other things, a helpless foe is "completely at an opponent's mercy."

Take that as you will.

For the benefit of our paralyzed members, would you say they can be cut out from outside? It seems logical to me, but since some of our people don't have long to go, I don't want to waste precious time trying to hack them out while the acid kills them. I can also try to reach them from the mouth and haul them out.

Thoughts?

Edit - Of course, if it wakes up...er...nevermind all that for now. :) If when Dreadnought's turn comes up the monster is still active, he'll punch the sucker again. If it's unconscious, he'll crawl to the mouth as posted.

Hee.

Last edited:

s@squ@tch

First Post
I would say that they can either be pulled out via the mouth, or possibly cut out from the outside -- any slashing or piercing weapon would suffice, with the caveat that a small cutting weapon would not lead to any chance of also hurting the person trapped inside, whereas a large weapon, such as a greatsword, might incur a chance to also hit those inside...

Rolzup

First Post
I've been meaning to ask: What program do you use for your maps? Is that Maptools? I've been meaning to look into that one myself, frankly....

s@squ@tch

First Post
Yes, I use maptools. I actually just finished with the first giant map, so I am greatly looking forward to using it! (and bashing y'all's skulls in, of course. :heh: )

s@squ@tch

First Post
Experience time!

Each player receives 343 xp for defeating the advanced Tendriculos!

p.s. Can Lo-Kag's sheet be updated with a section for his stats/etc for when he is raging and everyone please update your AP usage (if any!)

Remove ads