TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Absolutely. You're in a unique position to so comment. You also are in a unique position in that you are so closely associated with the game, of whatever edition, that your word carries a lot of import. When they object to your dismissal of the game they like, it is a sign of their respect for you, if you see what I mean. They don't like thinking the patron saint of gaming dislikes their game, and, by extension, them. It's kind of an emotional reaction.
Heh...

I don't judge anyone by the games they favor playing, other than to decide whether or not I'll join them at the particular one being played :eek:

I confess to getting grumpy about politics, as that's a serious matter fortunately not discussed on these boards :D

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
*grin* What do you think Gary? Should I repost my short essay on the lousy job security and short carreer's of saints?
to the contrary, sir!

As a "saint" I am a nonesuch, and the essay in question does not apply to me :p

Cheers Peter,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
By the way, Gary, happy Independence Day, if I don't get chance to post again after that spate of postings I made above.
The blamed email alert didn't make it through, but I checked this thread suspecting there'd be a spate of postings here :\

Likely we won't be doing anything special on the 4th other than staying home and grilling some elk steaks I have just purchased, wash them down with some good New Glarus Fat Squirrel ale. In an hour or so we are heading to our friend Joe Martin's abode for some convivial company--he always invites a score of folk to his soires--so that'll be the "doings" for the holiday weekend.

So to the point: I am hurrying through these replies so as to get to the party, have a cocktail, socialize, and eat some of his grilled goodies!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
I agree with everything ColonelHardisson has said.

And relatedly, I used to have great respect for Gary Gygax. I defended his game from many detractors through the quarter century I've played it. I've explained who he was to many new gamers.

But today, reading the last couple days worth of his (and other's) posts, I've lost all respect for him. It's like a child hearing Santa say that he actually dislikes modern toys. I'm actually, truly saddened. Damn, but I shouldn't have read this thread. He's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Quasqueton
Oh say it isn't so!

Am I breaking your widdle heart because I am saying what I think rather than what YOU think i should say. Get a life.

It is my considered opinion that there is noting "modern" about new D&D, and its experience system is an antiquated clunker, so i see it all ias just a rehash of the old systems with more rules with a comic book superhero overlay, no longer based on archetypes.

There is no disputing personal taste in regards pastimes, games included. I do not belittle or denigrate anyone that enjoys playing new D&D, but because I do not that it doesn't mean must agree with their choice and not say why I do not like the system. If i am asked I tell the truth.

I am not a silly plaster saint, nor am I seeking to win a popularity contest. I tell it like i see it.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Dannyalcatraz said:
I gotta say in EGG's defense that NEW ≠ BETTER.

Was 1Ed AD&D perfect? No. Was 2Ed? Nope. 3/3.5? Not even close. My personal favorite system, HERO? Perfection isn't in its pages either. In fact, when HERO toyed with the Fuzion rules a while ago, I couldn't stand it. Does that make me less of a HERO gamer? Not in the least. Does my rekindled love with its 5thEd release make me a waffler? No.

So he doesn't like the new stuff. Big deal! If one system worked for everyone, we'd just have one system with thousands of campaign settings. Instead, every few years, someone re-invents the wheel (creates a new game system) or tweeks an old one.

Ragging on the OG (Original Gamer) for not liking D20 is like picking on someone based on their use of a Windows or Mac PC- idiotic.

BTW: My bet is that if you showed Santa a copy of Grand Theft Auto, or all those action figures lines that are derived from thinly veiled 30 minute commercials, he'd shed a tear like the Native American in those 1970's environmental awareness commercials.
not that i need a defender...

Nonetheless, I must say, well put.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
Whats sad is that people can't be entitled to their opinion, and others simply respecting such entitlement, anymore. ;)

Is no one allowed to state their preferences without others taking it personal?
Unless there is a personal attack involved in stating the opinion, how right you are!

As a matter of fact I try to not state my opinions here because not a few of my fellow gamers equate any dislike of a game to an attack on them personally. however, i am not going to ignore direct questions or dissemble in regards what i truly think. That isn't me...

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
And I, on the other hand, applaude him for stating his opinion when asked, regardless of how many people he pisses off. People shouldn't ask questions they are not prepared to hear the answer to.
Just so.

I am not going to ignore posts that are asking an honest question, nor will I not speak my mind.

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Sure they're allowed, but aren't people also allowed to respond if they disagree, especially if said opinion is posted in a public forum? I mean, that's the point of message boards, isn't it, to make statements or ask questions and get replies, no? [/QUOTE}
Good sir, perhaps I am laboring under a misapprehension, but I thought this was a question and answer thread, not a place for qwuibbling--of which there is currently an inordinate amount in evidence. Thus I shall not respond further to the remainder of your comments.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads