TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Quasqueton

First Post
I agree with everything ColonelHardisson has said.

And relatedly, I used to have great respect for Gary Gygax. I defended his game from many detractors through the quarter century I've played it. I've explained who he was to many new gamers.

But today, reading the last couple days worth of his (and other's) posts, I've lost all respect for him. It's like a child hearing Santa say that he actually dislikes modern toys. I'm actually, truly saddened. Damn, but I shouldn't have read this thread. He's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Quasqueton

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I gotta say in EGG's defense that NEW ≠ BETTER.

Was 1Ed AD&D perfect? No. Was 2Ed? Nope. 3/3.5? Not even close. My personal favorite system, HERO? Perfection isn't in its pages either. In fact, when HERO toyed with the Fuzion rules a while ago, I couldn't stand it. Does that make me less of a HERO gamer? Not in the least. Does my rekindled love with its 5thEd release make me a waffler? No.

So he doesn't like the new stuff. Big deal! If one system worked for everyone, we'd just have one system with thousands of campaign settings. Instead, every few years, someone re-invents the wheel (creates a new game system) or tweeks an old one.

Ragging on the OG (Original Gamer) for not liking D20 is like picking on someone based on their use of a Windows or Mac PC- idiotic.

BTW: My bet is that if you showed Santa a copy of Grand Theft Auto, or all those action figures lines that are derived from thinly veiled 30 minute commercials, he'd shed a tear like the Native American in those 1970's environmental awareness commercials.

gideon_thorne

First Post
Whats sad is that people can't be entitled to their opinion, and others simply respecting such entitlement, anymore. ;)

Is no one allowed to state their preferences without others taking it personal?

Zudrak

Explorer
Whose Q&A is it anyway?

gideon_thorne said:
Whats sad is that people can't be entitled to their opinion, and others simply respecting such entitlement, anymore. ;)

Amen. There's a lot of noses being bent out of joint by their very owners here. :confused:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Quasqueton said:

And relatedly, I used to have great respect for Gary Gygax. I defended his game from many detractors through the quarter century I've played it. I've explained who he was to many new gamers.

But today, reading the last couple days worth of his (and other's) posts, I've lost all respect for him. It's like a child hearing Santa say that he actually dislikes modern toys. I'm actually, truly saddened. Damn, but I shouldn't have read this thread. He's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Quasqueton

And I, on the other hand, applaude him for stating his opinion when asked, regardless of how many people he pisses off. People shouldn't ask questions they are not prepared to hear the answer to.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
gideon_thorne said:

Sure they're allowed, but aren't people also allowed to respond if they disagree, especially if said opinion is posted in a public forum? I mean, that's the point of message boards, isn't it, to make statements or ask questions and get replies, no?

The thing is, it strikes me that there are people who somehow take it personally that 3e isn't their vision of what D&D is supposed to be. So what would they desire? That everyone stop playing 3e and play only what those who dislike 3e want them to play? How does it harm anyone if any given person likes this or that iteration of D&D? What possible impact could it have upon your life, or mine, or the next guy's, if I play, say, HackMaster (certainly an iteration of D&D), and you play OD&D, and someone else plays 3e?

This is my main bone of contention with those who lament that somehow the D&D fan base has been fragmented by later editions of the game. That is hardly the case. There are many, such as myself, who were brought back into gaming by 3e, after years, if not decades, of being away from the hobby. 3e's success points up the fact that there are quite a few people who were looking for something different in the game, and who wouldn't have been playing D&D at all if not for the newest edition.

Now, one could say "yes, but 3e fans bash older editions." Yes, some do, but that doesn't excuse bad behavior in return. One could suppose that fans of the older editions of D&D, at least most of them, are likely older and wiser than, if not the majority, at least a plurality of 3e players, and should know better than to get stiff-necked about a game. Live and let live, I say. The only difference in this thread is, as I said above, Gary's word carries an unusual amount of weight in this hobby. If he voices disgust with the new edition of the game, regardless of the reason - whether it be the game itself or the way the company making it handles the property - one could reasonably expect some fans to at least feel a bit like they've been scolded. I guess even I feel that way, a little, even though I'm familiar with Gary's opinion about the new edition of D&D. Conversely, don't fans of older editions essentially rally around EGG and use him as a source of inspiration? That's also taking it personally.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
JRRNeiklot said:
And I, on the other hand, applaude him for stating his opinion when asked, regardless of how many people he pisses off.

Well, I do too. That's the point of this thread, and the reason I participate in it. That said, I don't think Gary wants to simply preach to the choir. After all, he is posting here, the biggest 3e/d20 fansite on the web. He has to expect, if not welcome, dissenting opinions. How interesting would a thread posted to only by "yes men" (and no, I'm not talking about anyone here, so relax, I'm just making a point) be?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Dannyalcatraz said:
I gotta say in EGG's defense that NEW ≠ BETTER.

Agreed, and the reverse is also true - old doesn't equal better either.

Dannyalcatraz said:
Ragging on the OG (Original Gamer) for not liking D20 is like picking on someone based on their use of a Windows or Mac PC- idiotic.

Agreed also, but again, the reverse is also true - OG's slapping down 3e fans as supposedly not really playing D&D is also idiotic.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Quasqueton said:

Quasqueton

In all fairness to EGG, he hasn't said anything here lately he hasn't said all along since 3e was released. Given his history with D&D, and having it basically taken away from him and taken in directions he disagrees with must be galling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads