TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

BSF

Explorer
I have a thread in the off topic forum, but I am not sure Gary makes his way over there very often. :)

Happy Birthday Gary!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
AD&D: Why were the modifiers for Strength score different for to hit and damage?

16 Strength was +0/+1 - to hit/damage
18/51 Strength was +1/+3
18/00 Strength was +3/+6
Etc.

There were also magic weapons that had different bonuses on to hit and damage. "This weapon gives no bonus to hit, but gives +2 to damage rolls."

I've always wondered about the reason for the difference.

Quasqueton
As Haakon1 pointed out, Strength enables more damage from a successful blow, but it doesn't as effectively guarantee such a success.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Nice! Any ideas of the time line of the possible short story?

As for the reprints, are the Troll Lords planning on keping the character and place names as they are (being changed in the latter volumes due to contractual problems with TSR), or will they all be standardized throughout the books?

Gray Mouser
Likely any piece I write will be Gord in the City of Greyhawk. I haven't gotten to any initial planning as yet, so it might end up being just about anything rtelated to Oerth.

The reprints will be just the same as the paperbacks--the first two with Greyhawk names in them the ithers without.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Rakin said:
Wow this thread looks way over my head, but I'm going to take a stab at it anyhow. I just have a request for some advice...
It seems that somehow I have been mistaken for Ann Landers :confused:

Okay, I'll stop ribbing you and give this advice: To encourage role-assumption make it important that the players "know" their PCs and be rewarded for that knowledge by Dm lauds and even some extra XPs where that is apropriate. to encourage roleplaying, do a lot of it while DMing, and whenever a player responds in kind, make it clear there is approval and let all the group see it--but make it both entertaining and fun, with some humor in it that all can share.

Finally, stop worrying about yourself--your DMing--and just have fun. That will improve the performance of the best of DMs:cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Well Dang!

My thanks for all the warm birthday anniversary wishes, Dear Fellows:)

I wasn't so sure I'd be making it last year around this time, but I feel most chipper of late, but I lack the considerable energy I had in the past, so getting real creative work done is a chore. I poop out after just a few hours, while I need to be able to work around eight to 10 straight, six or seven days a week, to accomplish such projects.

Flexor the Mighty:
Was the Italian wine you enjoyed a Lambrusco?

Cheers,
Gary

KRBourgoine

First Post

Happy Birthday Gary! So this is where you have been hiding.

I am coming to the Lake Geneva Trolllord Con for which i am arriving tommorow midday. I look forward to finally getting a chance to meet you.

Offers still open for that gathering at your abode?

Kerry R. Bourgoine

Here's wishing many more happy returns of the day, Gary!

Col_Pladoh said:
I wasn't so sure I'd be making it last year around this time, but I feel most chipper of late, but I lack the considerable energy I had in the past, so getting real creative work done is a chore. I poop out after just a few hours, while I need to be able to work around eight to 10 straight, six or seven days a week, to accomplish such projects.

Don't push yourself too hard -- we'll wait. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads