TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

So, Gary ...

Over in another thread, someone asked how fast a miner could tunnel through stone (specifically, it was, "How long does it take a miner to make a 5'x5'x5' hole?").

One possible way to answer this is to assume that the creature is merely attacking a stone wall, and use the combat resolution mechanic to figure it out. The other option was to go back to the 1E DMG (I think), where you can find a table for just about any odd bit of trivia your heart could disire, and there's actually a table that shows mining rates by race (dwarves faster than humans, etc.).

So, how "realistic" were those numbers from way back in the day? Is it something you made up to fit the kind of milieu you wanted, or did you first base the human mining rate off of research, and then modified accordingly? A combination of both?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance,

Rakin said:
Any suggestions for a great first greyhawk read.

I agree -- the original box set or folio would be a good start. And buy lots of modules -- Against the Giants series, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and Temple of Elemental Evil are probably the most important to the setting. For in-print stuff, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is actually pretty good. But read the original first, so you know what stupid changes to ignore -- pretty much everything that happened between 587 CY and whenever it is set. An awful product of the Evil Reign of Lorraine produced a thing called "The Greyhawk Wars" game, that produced really silly results that have become "canon" to WOTC. :]

In particular, my changes are:
- PC's won in Against the Giants/Vault of the Drow. Therefore, Geoff and Sterich were not conquered by giants. If they were conquered anyhow, why the heck did we game for a year and kill a goddess?
- Bissel was invaded by Ket, but it hasn't lost.
- Iuz hasn't conquered so much, and never had a big army of fiends, though the Crook of Rao from the Isle of the Ape did get rid of those he had. For me, he conquered or co-opted the Horned Society, Shield Lands, the Bandit Kingdoms, and the Rovers. I don't care about Stonefist or the Pale. He's fighting Furyondy on the Veng and Veluna through the Vesve, and controls Whyestil Lake.
- Great Kingdom colapsed, and Megedia and Almor were badly effected, but it's not supernatural, it's like the Thirty Years War -- plague, hunger, war, and pestilence have driven out most of the humans.

WyzardWhately

First Post
Initiative

Can someone please post a link to that 20-page pdf on dragonsfoot? I can't seem to find it there.

Also, if you like british class-based humor, you should consider J. P. Donleavy. The Unexpurgated Code is a hoot.

Rakin

First Post
haakon1 said:
I agree -- the original box set or folio would be a good start. And buy lots of modules -- Against the Giants series, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and Temple of Elemental Evil are probably the most important to the setting. For in-print stuff, the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is actually pretty good. But read the original first, so you know what stupid changes to ignore -- pretty much everything that happened between 587 CY and whenever it is set. An awful product of the Evil Reign of Lorraine produced a thing called "The Greyhawk Wars" game, that produced really silly results that have become "canon" to WOTC. :]

In particular, my changes are:
- PC's won in Against the Giants/Vault of the Drow. Therefore, Geoff and Sterich were not conquered by giants. If they were conquered anyhow, why the heck did we game for a year and kill a goddess?
- Bissel was invaded by Ket, but it hasn't lost.
- Iuz hasn't conquered so much, and never had a big army of fiends, though the Crook of Rao from the Isle of the Ape did get rid of those he had. For me, he conquered or co-opted the Horned Society, Shield Lands, the Bandit Kingdoms, and the Rovers. I don't care about Stonefist or the Pale. He's fighting Furyondy on the Veng and Veluna through the Vesve, and controls Whyestil Lake.
- Great Kingdom colapsed, and Megedia and Almor were badly effected, but it's not supernatural, it's like the Thirty Years War -- plague, hunger, war, and pestilence have driven out most of the humans.

Wow thanks for the good info, I've got lots to do now! Later.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Gary,

Are you all having fun so far? *sniff* Wish I could be there at the LGGC. :(

Happy gaming,
Zudrak
Thanks All...

The many email messages and cards wishing me well on my birthday anniversary are greatly appreciated. Thanks also to those who popped in here for the "Open Porch" and brought a gift. Much obliged for such thoughtfulness! I did share up the bakery goodies and even sme of the booze...but by no means all :lol:

The Trolls loved the convention, broke even on costs, and they assure us that there will be a LGGC II. In fact they are bringing their families up a couple of days early to enjoy the area.

The good lord willing and the creek don't rise we'll have another "Open Porch" get-together here at my place on Thursday night before that event. Don't know what we'll do for space, as we were at near-capacity this year, but we have a large side yard :wink:

Can't guarantee space for kinder though, as my wife deals in antiques and the place is not child-proofed...son Alex being age 18 :lol: If we go to a side-yard portion, then kiddies will be welcome, although likely bored to tears by all the adunts and gaming talk...

I was just hanging out with the gamers most of the time, although I was the tour guide on the school bus for the "famous TSR locations in Lake Geneve." On the Saturday of the con I ran an LA game on the porch for seven players, and all said they had a splendid time of it--they played very well indeed. Then a bunch of us went for pizza and beer at the Next Door Pub out on the north end of the town--that's where we went during rthe first GenCons, and was a TSR hangout back in the day.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

So, how "realistic" were those numbers from way back in the day? Is it something you made up to fit the kind of milieu you wanted, or did you first base the human mining rate off of research, and then modified accordingly? A combination of both?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Thanks in advance,
Heh,

Well, although I do have ancestors that were Cornish miners, I didn't consult them when I did the table in the OAD&D DMG. Basically, it was a bit generous for hard-rock mining, about correct for softer sedimentary stone...I believe :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Bonjour Gary,

(happy Bday, if a few days late, and wishes for a long happy life)

This is my first post in these lengthy saga « ask Gary » threads (which I’ve read in total, took me about a week!). I learned many trivias from early D&D (and on dwarven female beard…)

I had no ideas about you and your private life before reading these. It seems we share the love of a good drink – French cru classé (ah, Cos d’Estournel…), and of course Sam Adams (have the same opinion on ordinary beer – it simply shouldn’t be called “beer”).

Been D&Ding since 1981, so first, many thanks for creating this amazing hobby. I now game with my friends (ongoing campaign since 1987) and now with my kids. Thanks for those precious moments.

My question: I understand from the timing of your departure from TSR that the Ravenloft setting was launched after you left. So I guess you were not involved in this at all? (Or in the original I-6?). Bonus points for your opinion on the setting :)

Regards,

Joël

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads