TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Henry

Autoexreginated
Steverooo said:
And just because you see a horse, doesn't mean it exists... Maybe you've just been visiting John & Jack too much, again! ;) :lol:

You accuse The Master of The Game of sullying his good reputation with John and Jack? A pox on thee!

Now, if you had said a Martell or Delamain Venerable, I could understand it. ;)

Steverooo

First Post
Henry said:
You accuse The Master of The Game of sullying his good reputation with John and Jack? A pox on thee!

John Barleycorn, Jack Daniels (need I mention Jim Bean? Jose Quervo?) :p

ghul

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
That is the result of someone in authority at the publisher not understanding the material, not caring, and just bulling ahead regardless of the audience.

The World of Greyhawk setting was crafted to allow for individualization by DMs, of course, and so was as non-specific and vague in places where the DM was likely to have created his own material. I did intend to expand the world and do some area specifric modules--mostly at the edges of the Flanaess, but that wasn't to be...

Cheers,
Gary

Mr. Gygax,

With the above words in mind, I have a nagging concern about my Yggsburgh soon-to-begin campaign. As you have mentioned in this and previous threads, you are overseeing the development of 19 freelancers working within the setting. I was wondering if you could let us know which locations are going to be developed. I'd potentially like to utilize what these freelancers develop, but if they add depth and detail to an area I have already developed in _my_ version of Yggsburgh, the work of the freelancer will unfortunately go unused. In other words, can you tell us which places we can safely develop, the places that will go largely be "non-specific"? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Ghul

ghul

Explorer
Mr. Gygax,

As we all (well, most of us) know, after you left T$R, there were a few environmental volumes released under the 1e banner. The Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and the Wilderness Survival Guide. One of the concepts that these volumes expanded on was the non-weapon proficiency, which you initiated in Oriental Adventures, and this concept has rippled through every edition of D&D ever since.

I also noticed that you are cited as the "AD&D Game System Designer" in the Dungeoneer's volume, but there is no mention of the father of the game in the Wilderness Survival Guide. No respect for the man -- they ought to have been ashamed.

Now then, both Doug Niles (Dungeoneer's guide) and Kim Mohan (Wilderness guide) both mention many months of work on their respective volumes. I was wondering, were you in on the intitial development of these products? Do you deserve some credit for the materials used in these two volumes?

--Ghul

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
if i (or a lot of other folks around here) owned wotc, that wouldn't be so. ;)
Were that the case likely I'd get conned into writing more WoG material, even though I prefer the LA game system and it's world setting these days--old and lazy, that's me :heh: Even so, I am a sucker when it comes to wheedling from fellow gamers :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Steverooo said:
Too bad. While I didn't care much for most of the Gord the Rogue series, the parts about the Sea of Dust/Death were my favorites. I would have loved to have seen more on the surrounding areas, and the "Unknown West".
No author can possibly please all potential readers, eh? I fully understand, because there's many a highly regarded book/author that leaves me cold. Different stroikes and all that.

And just because you see a horse, doesn't mean it exists... Maybe you've just been visiting John & Jack too much, again! ;) :lol:
As a matter of fact, I do believe your statement above proves my point :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:

Those are certainly more like it, although my very favorite is Goldschmidt & Rothschild.

I won't likely refuse a tot of eight-year-old or older single malt Scotch either, with a few drops of water to open it up.

It isn't fair to have champaign taste on a beer pocket book, especially when good beer costs so much these days :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
Mr. Gygax,

With the above words in mind, I have a nagging concern about my Yggsburgh soon-to-begin campaign. As you have mentioned in this and previous threads, you are overseeing the development of 19 freelancers working within the setting. I was wondering if you could let us know which locations are going to be developed. I'd potentially like to utilize what these freelancers develop, but if they add depth and detail to an area I have already developed in _my_ version of Yggsburgh, the work of the freelancer will unfortunately go unused. In other words, can you tell us which places we can safely develop, the places that will go largely be "non-specific"? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

--Ghul
Actualy, all of the town is being detailed. Each sector is about four blocks in extent, mapped by block, so all you need to do is skip the module that covers an area where you have developed things--or use those parts of it where you have not detailed anything for your campaign. These modules are by no means mandatory, so all can be ignored. OTOH, they do all the drudgery work for the Castle Keeper, include adventure scvenarios, and a slug of adventure hooks for the CK to use.

I plan to use the lot, alter some entries to suit my own ideas and the needs of my group.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:

Now then, both Doug Niles (Dungeoneer's guide) and Kim Mohan (Wilderness guide) both mention many months of work on their respective volumes. I was wondering, were you in on the intitial development of these products? Do you deserve some credit for the materials used in these two volumes?

--Ghul
Actually, I had no input into either book. I was out on the West Coast running the D&D Entertainment Corp. per the decision of the T$R Board of Directors. I returned in the late autumn of 1984 because of the financial straits of the company.

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
If the part wants to destroy the BBEG's base with some cheap ploy I say let them, and they can live with the consequences. :p

Besides which, what makes you think the players were the first one to think of the gambit? In any world with something like a Rock to Mud available you can bet somebody is going to come up with a counter. Such as, say, rubble in a hollow space within the walls. Or, if you wish to be really cruel, grey ooze or green slime.

For real rottenness, turning a section of a wall to mud weakens the wall as a whole, so it collapses after a delay.

Then you have magical counters. Spells that ward against Rock to Mud, or which amplify it; so that the area of effect includes where the characters are.

Paladin (hip deep in gooey mud): Have you thought about diluting the material component in some manner?

Don't forbid it outright, find some way to mak it a less than optimal solution within the world in question. One is being arbitrary, the other is being a rat bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads