TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:

Don't forbid it outright, find some way to mak it a less than optimal solution within the world in question. One is being arbitrary, the other is being a rat bastard.
Pretty much what I suggested in regards having such spells rebound on the caster and inflict damage of some sort ;)

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
There's another consideraton, who says they're going to let you? You'll get away with casting Rock to Mud on the temple once, maybe twice, but after that the BBEG's going to be looking for you. And to show you what a complete rat bastard I am, I don't give anyone an absolute safe haven. You don't take reasonable (and some unreasonable) precautions it will kill you. You are not playing the hero in a story, you are playing a common schlub in a very dangerous profession. A profession that kills the stupid and the complacent.

Col_Pladoh said:
That is the result of someone in authority at the publisher not understanding the material, not caring, and just bulling ahead regardless of the audience.

The World of Greyhawk setting was crafted to allow for individualization by DMs, of course, and so was as non-specific and vague in places where the DM was likely to have created his own material. I did intend to expand the world and do some area specifric modules--mostly at the edges of the Flanaess, but that wasn't to be...

Cheers,
Gary

I like the not-so-filled in aspect of Greyhawk. In particular, it's amusing to speculate about what really goes on in the Land of Black Ice, the Sea of Dust, the Valley of the Mage, etc. Much more medieval for it to be unknown.

Col_Pladoh said:
Were that the case likely I'd get conned into writing more WoG material, even though I prefer the LA game system and it's world setting these days--old and lazy, that's me :heh: Even so, I am a sucker when it comes to wheedling from fellow gamers :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

So wait, if one of us buys the rights to D&D (or perhaps just Greyhawk) and gives you full creative control, you might be conned into fixing it for us? Cool. Now all we have to do is get rich! :lol:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Gary!

I went into my FLGS the other day and happily noted that next to the "Ticket to Ride" game that has been sitting there these past months (possibly not always the same set) is now a "Ticket to Ride Europe". :)

The only question is whether I should buy it myself, or persuade a friend to do so.

I'm feeling lucky at present - I have many friends who enjoy board games, rpgs and other games, and who have the time to play them with me.

Cheers!

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(chuckles)

If you are pulling to pull a stunt like Rock to Mudding the Temple of Elemental Evil, please present your Periapt of Proof Against Detection and Location first.
Because the really BAD monsters down on level 10 are NOT going to be happy you melted rock all over their new carpeting, and they are going to make insurance claims.

(Actually, consider what happened in the film Dragonslayer. I think that's a good analogy of what would happen.)

Anyways, I'm back to just frivolous questions.

Gary, what was the climate of the Flanaess and Hempmonaland like, during the latter times of the Suel Imperium and Baklunish Empire?
And what was the climate of the Baklunish Empire, like, during that time?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
There's another consideraton, who says they're going to let you? You'll get away with casting Rock to Mud on the temple once, maybe twice, but after that the BBEG's going to be looking for you. And to show you what a complete rat bastard I am, I don't give anyone an absolute safe haven. You don't take reasonable (and some unreasonable) precautions it will kill you. You are not playing the hero in a story, you are playing a common schlub in a very dangerous profession. A profession that kills the stupid and the complacent.
Indeed...

And add "overweening" to the list of likely targets for elimination :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
I like the not-so-filled in aspect of Greyhawk. In particular, it's amusing to speculate about what really goes on in the Land of Black Ice, the Sea of Dust, the Valley of the Mage, etc. Much more medieval for it to be unknown.
Obviously I agree with that approach :D

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads