TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

ghul

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Actualy, all of the town is being detailed. Each sector is about four blocks in extent, mapped by block, so all you need to do is skip the module that covers an area where you have developed things--or use those parts of it where you have not detailed anything for your campaign. These modules are by no means mandatory, so all can be ignored. OTOH, they do all the drudgery work for the Castle Keeper, include adventure scvenarios, and a slug of adventure hooks for the CK to use.

I plan to use the lot, alter some entries to suit my own ideas and the needs of my group.

Cheers,
Gary

Thanks Gary,

Okay, so the town of Yggsburgh is going to be developed block by block. Gotchya. So how about Yggsburgh's environs? Take the Bald Hills for example. Besides the Zagyg adventure references listed, there isn't a lot of detail, which is great, because it allows me to further develop the area to my own tastes.

I'm actually thinking of basing my group in the town of Garham. That way, much of the Town of Yggsburgh will be unknown and largely unexplored by the players. Sure they may have gone there on occassion, but at least it will allow me to best take advantage of Yggsburgh as it develops under your masterful guidance. Of course I always tinker with published materials, but that's to be expected of any half-competent DM/GM/CK or what have you. :)

One thing that bothers me about CZ:Yggsburgh is the notations on Darlene's beautiful map. I think marking numbered encounter areas sort of spoils the idea of me ever showing my players this map, which is a shame because I love Darlene's work. But I can see my players now: "Hey, I want to go explore encounter area #33 in Wild Mead, let's go!" And sure enough they will find some goblin bandits there up to no good. I would have greatly prefered a map that I could actually share with my players. The numbered encounter areas should have been only listed on the small b&w map inside the book, IMO. :\

But all in all, I'm loving CZ. Keep up the great work! Take care.

--Ghul

StupidSmurf

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Seeing as how this was brought up here a bit earlier:

Sad news...

With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at
the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important
person, which almost went unnoticed last week. Larry LaPrise, the man
that wrote "The Hokey Pokey" died peacefully at the age of 93. The most
traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put
his left leg in. And then the trouble started.

Shut up. You know it's funny.

Gary (who just received this from a "friend")

EVIL!!! This is Evil!!!

...just finished sending it to a friend, too! ;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
The author of that is one Cookie "Chainsaw" Randall, a sportscaster and radio personality at KGB FM here in San Diego. He's part of the morning crew trio, Dave, Shelly, and Chainsaw. You can write him at dsc@101kgb.com and let him know what you think of the joke.
Thanks Alan!

:D
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ghul said:
Thanks Gary,
But of course:)

Okay, so the town of Yggsburgh is going to be developed block by block. Gotchya. So how about Yggsburgh's environs? Take the Bald Hills for example. Besides the Zagyg adventure references listed, there isn't a lot of detail, which is great, because it allows me to further develop the area to my own tastes.
Assuming the town detail modules are well received, I plan to have "The Outs" detailed in two to four modules, but that's it. The only other modules will be adventures set n the East Mark, such as Rob Kuntz's Dark Chateau.

I'm actually thinking of basing my group in the town of Garham. That way, much of the Town of Yggsburgh will be unknown and largely unexplored by the players. Sure they may have gone there on occassion, but at least it will allow me to best take advantage of Yggsburgh as it develops under your masterful guidance. Of course I always tinker with published materials, but that's to be expected of any half-competent DM/GM/CK or what have you. :)
Right, and that is why I did as much detailing of Garham as I did, assuming some GMs would find it a good place for basing campaign action. Cloverdale is another option of the PC party has a fair number of demi-humans. If the PCs are interested in becoming leigemen, then Stonewyck and servicfe under Sir Alec is possible. A lot of options for the inventive GM.

Of course I agree with "tinkering" with published work. I do it to my own printed material, so as to suit me exactly, as I write more generally for publication.

One thing that bothers me about CZ:Yggsburgh is the notations on Darlene's beautiful map. I think marking numbered encounter areas sort of spoils the idea of me ever showing my players this map, which is a shame because I love Darlene's work. But I can see my players now: "Hey, I want to go explore encounter area #33 in Wild Mead, let's go!" And sure enough they will find some goblin bandits there up to no good. I would have greatly prefered a map that I could actually share with my players. The numbered encounter areas should have been only listed on the small b&w map inside the book, IMO. :\

But all in all, I'm loving CZ. Keep up the great work! Take care.

--Ghul
I very much agree that the encounter numbers on the map are a detriment. The Wise Publisher decided to put those in on both maps as an aid to the Castle Keeper. That's is a boon in Gming, but maps sans the numbers are needed for the players.

I spread my map put for the players, but when they head for a number tyhere's nothing there--the encounter moves, and I spring something different on them before they get to the indicated location or after passing it by.

Anyway, most pleased you are enjoying the CZY work :D

Cheers,
Gary

StupidSmurf

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

A kindred spirit in the love of puns, shaggy dog stories, and the like, I see :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Oh absolutely!
One of my favorite stories involves a local bakery. The place burned down quickly, and witnesses say the fire started quickly, possibly the result of a sudden explosion. When the fire investigators checked it out, they found the cause...

...it was a Napoleon, blown apart.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
StupidSmurf said:
Oh absolutely!
One of my favorite stories involves a local bakery. The place burned down quickly, and witnesses say the fire started quickly, possibly the result of a sudden explosion. When the fire investigators checked it out, they found the cause...

...it was a Napoleon, blown apart.
Why dos a hand grenade thrown into a kitchen call to mind a French Emperor?

Because there it is, linoleum blown apart.

Groaningly yours,
Gary

StupidSmurf

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Why dos a hand grenade thrown into a kitchen call to mind a French Emperor?

Because there it is, linoleum blown apart.

Groaningly yours,
Gary

:::clutches head in both hands and screams::: :eek:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
StupidSmurf said:
:::clutches head in both hands and screams::: :eek:
Oh 'Smurf...

You must come and play here in one of out Thurdsay night RPG sessions--hopefully one where my son Luke is playing too. He hates puns, and his expression :)mad:) when I loose a round or two of them is absolutely priceless :lol:

BTW, James M. Ward is currently GMing his latest Metamorphosis Alpha RPG for us, and we are haveing a great time despite Jim's evil machinations :p

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Col_Pladoh said:
BTW, James M. Ward is currently GMing his latest Metamorphosis Alpha RPG for us, and we are haveing a great time despite Jim's evil machinations :p

I'm curious, and if you don't mind my asking... who (or what) are you playing? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads