Q&A with Gary Gygax - Page 523
  1. #5221
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kendall Keep, Bissel
    Posts
    2,591
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block haakon1


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    look forward to 2007
    How futuristic! We're all glad you're here and looking forward.

    At the end of long meeting yesterday, the exec in charge, from Ireland, had a joyous yuletide line that struck me as perfect for the season of people getting excited about "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas". He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."

    Where's the reindeer emoticon?

  2. #5222
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    airwalkrr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    5,625
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block airwalkrr


    Friend+
    Hey Gary, I've got a question about your Gord the Rogue novels. Gellor was one of my favorite characters in Saga of Old City, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book anymore. I seem to remember him being a bard. Anyway, what were his origins (i.e. birthplace) and where did he head off to after parting ways with Gord? I've just finished Sea of Dust (the 3rd I believe) so maybe Gellor comes back, but I'm curious.

  3. #5223
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    How futuristic! We're all glad you're here and looking forward.

    At the end of long meeting yesterday, the exec in charge, from Ireland, had a joyous yuletide line that struck me as perfect for the season of people getting excited about "Happy Holidays" versus "Merry Christmas". He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."

    Where's the reindeer emoticon?
    Merry Christmas!

    I suppose I am not sensitive to offending others, especially the Pollitically Correct, to whom I say, in so many words, get lost


    Yuletide best wished,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  4. #5224
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    Hey Gary, I've got a question about your Gord the Rogue novels. Gellor was one of my favorite characters in Saga of Old City, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of the book anymore. I seem to remember him being a bard. Anyway, what were his origins (i.e. birthplace) and where did he head off to after parting ways with Gord? I've just finished Sea of Dust (the 3rd I believe) so maybe Gellor comes back, but I'm curious.
    Happy Christmas

    Likely I did have notes with that sort of detail, and perhaps they still exist somewhere in the mountains of books, magazines, and papers spread from attic to basement in this house... the older the work in question, the more deeply buried the clues regarding it

    Not many authors make extensive notes regarding supporting characters, or about anything else that doesn't fit into the immediate story to be told, for such material tends to become set in stone and limit the scope of possibilities for new tales. (I once asked Fritz Leiber for details of Pulg and got much the same sort of reply as I make above, and he added that his fans knew more about Lankhmar than he did

    Yuletide best wishes,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  5. #5225
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Kendall Keep, Bissel
    Posts
    2,591
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block haakon1


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Merry Christmas!

    I suppose I am not sensitive to offending others, especially the Pollitically Correct, to whom I say, in so many words, get lost


    Yuletide best wished,
    Gary
    Precisely what I thought you'd think. Having grown up in PC New York, living in England for a few years was liberating on the Merry Christmas front. Sure, some of your taxes go to somebody else's church, and you have a Queen (!) who claims to "defender of the faith", but hey, since it's officially a Christian country, it seems fine to say Merry/Happy Christmas all the time, instead of being sneaky about it. Hmm, pay taxes for people in funny outfits to ride around in carriages and make silly speeches, in exchange for freedom to say "Merry Christmas" . . . seems like a fair trade to me.

    Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

  6. #5226
    Member
    Guide (Lvl 11)

    airwalkrr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    5,625
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block airwalkrr


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Happy Christmas

    Likely I did have notes with that sort of detail, and perhaps they still exist somewhere in the mountains of books, magazines, and papers spread from attic to basement in this house... the older the work in question, the more deeply buried the clues regarding it

    Not many authors make extensive notes regarding supporting characters, or about anything else that doesn't fit into the immediate story to be told, for such material tends to become set in stone and limit the scope of possibilities for new tales. (I once asked Fritz Leiber for details of Pulg and got much the same sort of reply as I make above, and he added that his fans knew more about Lankhmar than he did

    Yuletide best wishes,
    Gary
    Thanks anyway, Gary. I've always liked using Gellor in my home campaigns. I suppose I'll just come up with his background myself. Seems to me like he'd have a lot of friends in Urnst so he's probably from there.

  7. #5227
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Precisely what I thought you'd think. ... Hmm, pay taxes for people in funny outfits to ride around in carriages and make silly speeches, in exchange for freedom to say "Merry Christmas" . . . seems like a fair trade to me.

    Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.
    Yuletide Cheer

    All of that seems quite reasonable to me, but the UK needs something like our 1st Amendment to the Constitution.

    Cristmas blessings,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  8. #5228
    Father of the Game
    Ancient Red Dragon (Lvl 30)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Col_Pladoh


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr
    Thanks anyway, Gary. I've always liked using Gellor in my home campaigns. I suppose I'll just come up with his background myself. Seems to me like he'd have a lot of friends in Urnst so he's probably from there.
    Happy Christmas

    Indeed, that is very much the sort of thing I wished to encourage with the WoG setting--DM adapatation of the material to suit the campaign being run!

    Yuletide best wishes,
    Gary
    XP Scott DeWar, Pendrake Utherman gave XP for this post

  9. #5229
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC USA
    Posts
    208
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Seeker95


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    He said, in a sort of mumbling aw-shucks way: "Thanks everybody. For those of you who celebrate it, have a happy Christmas. And everybody, have a good break and a good New Year."
    I find that most people who discover I am not a Christian appear perplexed at how to greet me from December 15th until on or about December 27th. Yet they have no problem ringing out a "Happy New Year!" to me.

    The irony in this is that although not a Christian, I find great joy in celebrating the birth of Christ with those whose lives are shaped by faith in Him. At the same time, my "New Year" begins in March, not January.

    Regardless of where *your* faith is placed, have a Merry Christmastime anyway.
    And whenever your calendar begins, Happy Gregorian New Year to you!

  10. #5230
    Merry Christmas!


    Gary,

    Yesterday I was trying to call a friend to tell them that I got a 4.0 in my first graduate semester, and through a strange twist of Twilight-Zone fate I accidentally dialed YOUR phone number. When I realized who it was, I laughed and wished you a Merry Christmas, you laughed and said Merry Christmas back.

    First off, I won't give out your phone number - that's unethical, and I know what it's like to have complete strangers calling.

    Anyway, by coincidence I had been contemplating registering on this forum and asking you if you would like to conduct a short interview for a research project that I have been working on for quite some time. I just didn't have the guts because, well, you're the guy who INVENTED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, and all.

    And then, yesterday, somehow I discovered your phone number while I was trying to dial Dr. Greer (his nyumber doesn't even resemble yours. Weird).

    So, would you be open to any kind of interview, or anything of the sort? Either phone or e-mail would be all right. If you want more details, just ask.

    (P.S. the call seriously made my day.)

Closed Thread
Page 523 of 880 FirstFirst ... 23423473513514515516517518519520521522523524525526527528529530531532533573623 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Eulogy of Gary Gygax (courtesy of Luke Gygax)
    By Mark CMG in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Tuesday, 4th March, 2014, 08:58 PM
  2. Slate article on Gary's legacy (Merged with Gary Gygax Slandered)
    By maggot in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: Monday, 17th March, 2008, 11:07 PM
  3. In regards to Gary Gygax, A thank you to all of you.
    By KRBourgoine in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 12th March, 2008, 01:22 PM
  4. Thank you,Gary Gygax!
    By elforcelf in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Thursday, 29th December, 2005, 04:31 AM
  5. Q&A with Gary Gygax Pt. 3
    By Dinkeldog in forum Archive-threads
    Replies: 350
    Last Post: Tuesday, 22nd July, 2003, 04:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •