TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

RFisher

Explorer
Gary Gygax said:
As a typically ambitious player, I did what all others of that ilk do: Everything I could do to gain advantage for my PCs and rise in level as rapidly as possible.

In another thread, it has been implied--if not explicitly stated--that this quote of yours indicates that you yourself are a munchkin or powergamer. How do you plead? (^_^)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
Does this mean the standard hit die for monsters was to be increased from d8 to d12, or only for certain monsters that fall into the "large and vigorous" category?
Rolled on a d6? This sounds similar to the starting hit die for barbarians as originally presented in Dragon.
Actually I planned to go through the monsters' roster and re-assign HD types--d4, d6, d8, d10, and d12. While doind that in regards to the HPs of each type, the monsters' chance to hit based on number of HD would not be affected.

As too often "weak" monsters were randolly generated, I also planned to have robust adults possess HP totals of something over 50% of the possible maximum by using a HP generation system such as 3-4, 4-6, 6-10, 7-12 using the appropriate die to determine the actual number generated--d2, d3, d5, d6. Non-robust--immature, old, sick, injured, or even non-physicaly active sorts such as spell caster--monsters would have the obverse HP range using the same type of die without addition.

Was the determination of such a damage bonus dependant on the monster's assumed Strength score or just on the fact that monster was large and presumably strong? Would this damage bonus apply to natural attacks as well as those attacking with weapons?
It's always great to get some insight into the "lost" 2nd edition AD&D! Thanks!
As a ganeral rule I used HD = additional damage, half HD for the non-robust individuals. So an ogre would be 4d12 + 1 HPs, with damage as +4 or +2.

A 1st level m-u with a Sleep spell could still count on taking out the orge.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
EvilPheemy said:
d12 hit dice is an interesting twist on the classic OD&D d8 mechanic. Of course that means Ogres go to 4d12+1 which frightens my inner 4th level magic user. :D

The Giant Modules would almost have to be reclassified for levels 10-14 with d12 Frost and Fire Giants.
See above for the power of the m-u over the improved ogre and all other monsters of less than 4d +2 capacity.

I must agree that the suggested PC level for the G series of modules would have to be boosted beginning with the initial one where Hill Giants are the principal adversaries.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RFisher said:
In another thread, it has been implied--if not explicitly stated--that this quote of yours indicates that you yourself are a munchkin or powergamer. How do you plead? (^_^)
Would you believe a capable stratigest and tactician desirous of playing a PC so as to maximize his potential and excel in performing his role within the party or as an individual aventuring in the campaign setting, so as to succeed in reaching objectives and goals as established by a character mission statement?

Cheerio,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Col_Pladoh said:
Would you believe a capable stratigest and tactician desirous of playing a PC so as to maximize his potential and excel in performing his role within the party or as an individual aventuring in the campaign setting, so as to succeed in reaching objectives and goals as established by a character mission statement?

Cheerio,
Gary

That's just badwrongfun Gary. You suck.

please don't put me in the tomb of horrors :uhoh:

;)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
That's just badwrongfun Gary. You suck.

please don't put me in the tomb of horrors :uhoh:

;)
:lol: :p :lol:

And here I thought it was simply a matter of playing the game as well as I could...even with a bit of yakking and character voice included. So...

It is not the ToH that you are off to but rather to the Isle of the Ape to play with Oonga :eek:

:D
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
He's a nice friendly Super-Ape....isn't he? :uhoh:

Can I have a +5 banana to take with me?
Perhaos I was a bit carried away when I stated out Oonga, but I loved and still do the 1938 King Kong film...and I was fed up with the top players' PCs in my campaign kicking around almost every monster sent against them.

Then again, Mordenkainen, bigby, and several other members of their group did wipe out 3K of goblins Rob Kuntz sent against them, luckily from a distance, and I found it quite appropriate.

See, it is easy to wear two different hats :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Perhaos I was a bit carried away when I stated out Oonga, but I loved and still do the 1938 King Kong film...and I was fed up with the top players' PCs in my campaign kicking around almost every monster sent against them.
I take it the revisions you planned for monsters related above were part of your effort to "beef up" monsters because of this situation.

Were there any other rules tweaks or general tactics you developed to add challenge against "top players" . . ?

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
I must agree that the suggested PC level for the G series of modules would have to be boosted beginning with the initial one where Hill Giants are the principal adversaries.
With the added power allowed to PCs in Unearthed Arcana, perhaps it would have been a wash.

A double specialized 10th level ranger would be dealing +13 damage per melee hit against giants, before any consideration of magic weapon or Strength bonus, for example.

With the increase in size of hit dice and the corresponding number of hit points per die, would any change have been made to the xp award per hit point? Would the monster HD damage bonus be considerered a new special or extraordinary ability? Or would it just fall under the original guidelines for damage ranges given in the XP section of the DMG (meaning more monsters would qualify for xp bonus due to increased damage range)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads