TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

gideon_thorne

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
With the added power allowed to PCs in Unearthed Arcana, perhaps it would have been a wash.

A double specialized 10th level ranger would be dealing +13 damage per melee hit against giants, before any consideration of magic weapon or Strength bonus, for example.

*smiles* Thats where you give the adversary the combat capability of a 10th level fighter, and perhaps that many HD. Twould be a rather nasty shock against the above Ranger when their opponent doesn't go down as easy as they like. ^_^

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
gideon_thorne said:
*smiles* Thats where you give the adversary the combat capability of a 10th level fighter, and perhaps that many HD. Twould be a rather nasty shock against the above Ranger when their opponent doesn't go down as easy as they like. ^_^
We're already talking about hill giants with 7-12 hit points per hit die, dealing +8 additional damage with each successful hit. That is, adult hill giants with average 77.5 hit points, dealing average 17 points of damage per hit.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I take it the revisions you planned for monsters related above were part of your effort to "beef up" monsters because of this situation.

Were there any other rules tweaks or general tactics you developed to add challenge against "top players" . . ?
That assumption is correct.

When the monsters were consolidated into a revised MM volume or two, I planned to give a point sunning and/or intellect rating for them so as to enable the DM to use that nformation when acting for the monsters. (After opinbdering the matter for a time I have done this in the supplement to the LA game.)

That's about all I can recall off the top of my head. It has been over 20 years... :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
With the added power allowed to PCs in Unearthed Arcana, perhaps it would have been a wash.

A double specialized 10th level ranger would be dealing +13 damage per melee hit against giants, before any consideration of magic weapon or Strength bonus, for example.

With the increase in size of hit dice and the corresponding number of hit points per die, would any change have been made to the xp award per hit point? Would the monster HD damage bonus be considerered a new special or extraordinary ability? Or would it just fall under the original guidelines for damage ranges given in the XP section of the DMG (meaning more monsters would qualify for XO bonus due to increased damage range)?
I believe I would have left the XP award guidelines alone. Damage bonus would not be re-rated, and the HPs possessed would suffice for adjusting XPs gained, most up a bit, some down.

Cheerio,
Gary

Hey Gary,

How much camp do you have in your games? Do you find it common? What are your feelings on that theatric element in gaming?

Thanks,

TBK

P.S. Please don't disintegrate me, but are you planning to read The Expedition to Castle Greyhawk when it comes out?

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Gary, do you still answer e-mails?
If yes, do you have a public e-mail?

I remember that you once did, so I was just asking.

Yours Sincerely
Edena_of_Neith

RFisher

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Would you believe a capable stratigest and tactician desirous of playing a PC so as to maximize his potential and excel in performing his role within the party or as an individual aventuring in the campaign setting, so as to succeed in reaching objectives and goals as established by a character mission statement?

Indeed, I would! I've tended to think that munchkinism is in the eye of the beholder, since what I observe people calling munchkin often seems like merely smart play to me.

You said that munchkinism was there from the start. (Did it already exist in previous war/hobby games, or is it something unique to D&D & its offspring?) So, what--in your opinion--is it? What is the dividing line between good playing & munchkin playing?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
the black knight said:
Hey Gary,

How much camp do you have in your games? Do you find it common? What are your feelings on that theatric element in gaming?

Thanks,

TBK

P.S. Please don't disintegrate me, but are you planning to read The Expedition to Castle Greyhawk when it comes out?
The tenor of any game session depends on my mood and that of the players. Some sessions are straightforward RPGing, others somewhat campy with bad theatrics from me and one or more of the others, and not a few meetings are rife with jokes and puns...mainly from me :eek:

As for reading that book, surely you jest :mad:

:lol:
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads