I have Adventure Vault 2

Glyfair

Explorer
There are some items that have charges, I don't recall seeing that before but I could be wrong. These are charges per day and different abilities cost different charges.

That makes sense. The PHB series was supposedly designed so that more complicated classes come later. This would follow the pattern in that more complicated magic items come later.

Note I am not saying they are hard to understand. But tracking different numbers of charges certainly adds extra complexity in more things to track at the table (sort of like psi points).

gribble

Explorer
Maybe +3 / d8 / High Crit, Brutal 1, Superior? Yes, that sounds good. Congrats, there's yer katana. ;)
What about something like +3/d8/High Crit, Light Blade, Superior?

Something a bit different and would make those ninjas easy to build...
:)

Rechan

Adventurer
I've seen charge items. I think AV1 had them. Like 'This item has 5 charges per day. You can teleport 1 square per charge. Can use any number of charges in one go.'

Obryn

Hero

I think the real issue with that is that it's basically Rapier+ at that point...

More to the point, I think Heavy Blade feats and exploits are more up any potential Samurai's alley. :)

-O

Cadfan

First Post
Honestly, I don't know what other niche it could fill, unless it were a +2/d10/High Crit, which strikes me as kinda cruddy. :)

We have...

+3 / d6 / Offhand / Light Blade
+3 / d8 / Heavy Blade
+2 / d10 / Heavy Blade
+3 / d10 / 2-handed Heavy Blade
+3 / d10 / 1-handed heavy blade superior
+3 / d12 / 2-handed heavy blade, high crit, superior

I'd think it would be the same as a Bastard Sword, but that's just IME.

Maybe +3 / d8 / High Crit, Brutal 1, Superior? Yes, that sounds good. Congrats, there's yer katana. ;)

-O
It doesn't even matter if its stats are identical to an existing weapon. Its a question of completion. The game clearly assumes that you can choose weapons and have stat lines for them. It doesn't make you reskin a halberd to a glaive, or even a Talenta Boomerang to a Xen-drik Boomerang. Its just something the game should have.

Katana IS just a "masterwork" bastard sword, but one more about slashing damage vs unarmed targets, than crushing vs armoured targets for a Medieval "longsword"
which is correct name for a D&D bastard sword, D&D "longsword" is a Medieval "arming sword" but hey it's a game, and katanas are NOT the uber doober things some folks seme to think, lol. Awesome versus unarmoured almost useless vs armoured...but I still like 'em :)
But for real Dungeon type fights, shortsword (due to space) and a hand axe with hammer back (utility is actually a huge factor) are best of all
*nerdiness switched back to standby mode!* :p

damn, no more Alchemy items? that's a shame :(

Klaus

First Post

Since there's no differentiation between slashing/piercing anymore, a katana need only be a +1 bastard sword (with wakizachi being a +1 short sword), while a ninja-to is basically just a rapier.

Remove ads