A Keep On The Borderland OOC

Dr Simon

Explorer
Yes, well done all!

Amazingly, its almost a year since we started this, and that fight was about 6 months! Although there was a bit of a grind when the skurg appeared it actually stayed quite mobile, which helped.

Given all that, I reckon it's time to level up; all PCs are now third level. I think NPCs will advance at half PC rate, so no increase for the minions this time around.

ahayford

First Post
I am enjoying this game...I apologize for my long lags...I think many of the time lags can be attributed to me. I will endeavor to update this game more regularly.

Kaodi

Hero
Well, that was a terrible roll, :) .

In any case, I have updated my character. Additions were a rank in Heal, Knowledge (Religion), and Spellcraft, and the Extra Channel feat.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Rollin' like a BOSS...

Skill ranks go in Bluff, Diplomacy, Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft.

Feat is...undecided, probably Dodge.

New 1st level spell is...also undecided. Mage Armor is a strong contender. Protection from Evil, also tempting. Avenues being explored. She gets Identify as a bonus spell, and I may pick up another cantrip via her Favored Class bonus this level.

...clearly I am posting prematurely, but one posts with the army one has.

jkason

First Post
It's been quite the harrowing battle, but given the stakes, I think it's totally worth it. Sets our new status quo, as it were. :)

And hooray for leveling! No time to do it right now, I'm afraid, but hopefully over the weekend. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Hee hee

Thank you for the kind words at least. :)

Speaking of which! I believe some crony appointments are in order.

Here's what I was thinking:

Bastian - Commander of the Army (military planning, defense, command of troops and managing military logistics)

Greggory - Watch Commander (captain of the guard with a touch of spymaster, basically; in charge of law enforcement and 'internal security,' keeping the peace)

Sha'ah - Master Ranger (in charge of the hunters and foresters, helping us get lumber and supplies without overtaxing the forest, helping decide where to plant crops for best harvests and minimum negative impact on environment)

The good Brother's role is clear, as is Arcata's.

What do you guys think?

Axel

First Post
I think that is perhaps the longest running combat I've ever been involved with. Some good tactics/handy class abilities too, I really thought we were going to get kerb stomped (or at least the solders were going to...) when the big beasties came out! Anyway, survival is always the goal. Not even a PC KO'd in the end, though Sh'aah came close (6 HP remaining of 39 at full) :)

Crony appointments sound like a good thing. I was wondering how to tie Sh'aah into the party on a more permanent basis, since his backstory sets him apart from the rest of the group. As a suggestion though, I don't think we will be constructing a town around the keep anytime soon. Cropping/hunting/forestry is likely to be fairly limited. Still, Sh'aah will happily teach hunting and scouting skills to any who are interested.

Re: level 3.
Dr Si, I need to choose a favoured terrain. Any hints on terrain categories that are appropriate to the region? Are we closer to forest, hill or plains categories?

I want to canvas people's opinions on a feat choice for Sh'aah. I simply can't decide and find an outside perspective on characters helpful at times (feat choices for me are normally character driven rather than crunch driven). If crunch matters to you, he'll be staying Ranger until he dies or the game concludes. In no particular order:

Choice 1: Power attack. Obvious uses, if boring choice. With full BAB and a +4 strength modifier Sh'aah has a good hit bonus. Extra damage is always good when you have two weapon fighting. Opens additional feats later like Overrun and Sunder too.

Choice 2: Scent. Since it's racially limited AND scent is an unusual ability for a PC I'm drawn to this. Still, his level 1 feat is related to sensory ability and I don't want to overdo it.

Choice 3: Imp Unarmed Strike. This combos well with TWF and high strength. He would hold a weapon two handed (for +6 damage mod!) and use this feat to make the 'off-hand' attack with his feet.

Choice 4: Open to any suggestions...

Remove ads