Fantasy/D&D Films: What's next?

Fantasy/D&D Films: What should be next?

• Another Epic save the World?

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Grim, gritty, sociopolitics (like Martin's Song of Fire and Ice)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Local "everyday heroes" (like earlier Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories).

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • The Gods/Extra-planar entities/Monsters vs. Man (Clash of the Titans)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrific Fantasy (Call of Cthulu).

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Modern Fantasy... return of the unknown like Reign of Fire or the Neverending Story

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Apocalyptic Fantasy (sort of like Rifts).

Votes: 3 6.3%

The Serge

First Post
With the success of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, I have a few concerns.

While I love huge world spanning epics, I've found that some of my most engaging games have been those deal largely with local or regional concerns. While some of the games I've played have had tie-ins to huge, epic conflicts, most of the games I've played have really come down to the PCs forging their own destinies.

My fear with LotR's success if that Hollywood will feel that all subsequent fantasy-based films will need to have that "epic" feel. There will need to be a Dark Lord and some terrible artifact he needs to get in order to rule the world.

What do you want to see next on the silver screen? What kind of plot would you recommend for a fantasy/D&D inspired film? There's no limit to the number of posts nor the length. Feel free to regale us with your literary/theatrical talents!

www.dicefreaks.com

Airwolf

First Post
The Serge said:

What do you want to see next on the silver screen?

www.dicefreaks.com

Here's my list:
1. Incredible writing
2. Outstanding script writing
3. Fantastic directing
4. Great acting/actors/actresses
5. Character development second to none
6. Breathtaking loacations
7. Mind blowing special effects
8. Music to stir the soul

If they can cover those 8 (and perhaps some that I forgot) the movie will be a hit, it won't matter what the plot is.

EDIT: I forgot one!
9: Hot babes in chainmail bikinis. ;)

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Not sure where it fits in above, but...

I'm looking forward to a big-budget, well-acted Narnia series. :) I think if you can get the animal effects right and good child actors, that would be a real treat.

mkarol

First Post
EricNoah said:
I'm looking forward to a big-budget, well-acted Narnia series. :)

I think Narnia would be hard to pull off, simply because of the religious overtones. But hey, we can wash over that right.

What i want to see is Dragonriders of Pern, but hey, we all need a dream.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
mkarol said:

What i want to see is Dragonriders of Pern, but hey, we all need a dream.

Pern would be Kewl if they did it right. I am sort of looking forward to another Conan as well if they do it right. I wouldn't mind either if they were to do D&D again but this time maybe stick to a book adaptaion of a FR novel instead of an original script. There are so many fantasy books choose from that if they go to an original script it better be VERY good.

What I fear however is that what we will get is cheep derivative garbage sponging off of the success of LotR. We will see things like mindless action coming up in Scorpion King 2 or stuff done like Conan the Destroyer and Beastmaster where everyone with a few dollors and a studio or rights to a book/series pumps something out quickly.

Erithtotl

First Post
I think they ARE doing a Narnia one, actually, I think after the success of Harry Potter they started planning them.

I'd like to see some TV series based on the classic Fantasy books, like the Fritz Lieber Fafhard/Grey Mouser books, or the Elric books. Take the technology used for Xena, but take the story and characters more seriously...

Sulimo

First Post
I'm kind of looking forward to the Illiad...even if they have cast Brad Pitt as Achilles (IIRC).

My main concern is liberties taken in the adaption process (surprise, surprise).

mkarol

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
What I fear however is that what we will get is cheep derivative garbage sponging off of the success of LotR.

With the understanding that the Studios are out to make money and not cater to the capricious whims of a small (albeit vocal) entertainment niche, I think that _if_ fantasy films are to be made, they will continue to generally be tripe.

LOTR and HP _demanded_ quality because of the underlying, strong movements that supported those franchises. Even something like DRoP, D&D, or other fantasy works do not command general respect and would therefore not be treated with that much.

Also, in my arrogance, I would say that the stories we have outlined as 'great' candidates for movies might be overly sophisticated for general production.

Sulimo

First Post
mkarol said:

With the understanding that the Studios are out to make money and not cater to the capricious whims of a small (albeit vocal) entertainment niche, I think that _if_ fantasy films are to be made, they will continue to generally be tripe.

Well then, how long before we see Gor in the cinemas? ;)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
My understanding is that Chronicles of Narnia is in the works, as is His Dark Materials. Phillipa Bowens is rumored to be scripting a Dragonriders of Pern mini-series, if I recall. I've also heard in the last week or so of some talk that a Xena film budgeted in the $50-60 million range might be made. Likely produced by Sam Raimi, who can do whatever he wants after Spiderman's success.

Remove ads