Fantasy/D&D Films: What's next?

Fantasy/D&D Films: What should be next?

• Another Epic save the World?

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Grim, gritty, sociopolitics (like Martin's Song of Fire and Ice)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Local "everyday heroes" (like earlier Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories).

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • The Gods/Extra-planar entities/Monsters vs. Man (Clash of the Titans)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Horrific Fantasy (Call of Cthulu).

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Modern Fantasy... return of the unknown like Reign of Fire or the Neverending Story

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Apocalyptic Fantasy (sort of like Rifts).

Votes: 3 6.3%

Shadeus

First Post
Mark said:
I liked to see something more on the scale of the earlier Hercules/Xena stuff but without the campiness. To that end I voted for the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser option, though I am not too particular on the characters. Might be a lot cheaper to not license existing characters/stories and just start from scrtah so they can throw that saved money toward special effects.

I'm with Mark. Hell, I think a good dungeon crawl would rock as a movie. It would definitely need a good backstory and interesting character interactions or it would be boring...but a good action flick where they have to dodge traps, avoid the undead minions and battle the evil necromancer in a cavernous bottom level of the lair.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Shadeus said:
I'm with Mark. Hell, I think a good dungeon crawl would rock as a movie. It would definitely need a good backstory and interesting character interactions or it would be boring...but a good action flick where they have to dodge traps, avoid the undead minions and battle the evil necromancer in a cavernous bottom level of the lair.

They could jump right into the action with a battle at the entrance, then spend the rest of the first third of the movie with flashbacks for each character detailing who they are and why they are each there. The middle third could give us some interaction and set up the characters' relationships with one another. The final third can blend the characters' relationships with one another evolving, or devolving, even as they are each meeting, or failing, on their personal goals. And all the while they can be going from one battle to the next. Hmmm... I'm really looking forward to this movie now! :D

Ranger REG

Explorer
Dragonlance Trilogy of films, sans Courtney Solomon.

Or try an attempt another Dungeons & Dragons movie ... with an actual dungeon to crawl into.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ranger REG said:
DragonlanceOr try an attempt another Dungeons & Dragons movie ... with an actual dungeon to crawl into.

If they ever attempt to make another D&D film (which they won't, Hollywood only makes sequels to films that do well) they should just make a movie of Paul Kidd's White Plume Mountain novel. Although it isn't 100% in line with the rules (about 85-90%) it reads like a movie, so it would be perfect to make one out of.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
But then it would be a Paul Kidd's White Plume Mountain film adaptation, not a D&D movie.

You're going to have ask Paul Kidd if he (or she?) don't mind the novel is associated with the D&D brand.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You do realize that the novel White Plume Mountain is the Greyhawk novel based off the classic 1E D&D module of the same name right? It'd be extremely D&D! More so than the last movie was!

And though Paul Kidd would have to be asked, I doubt he would mind having a movie made of one of his books.

Last edited:

Ranger REG

Explorer
Really? Didn't know that. Then again, I'm not well-versed in Greyhawk lore (setting, supplements, adventures, novel).

The only thing I know of Greyhawk novel is Gary Gygax's works, what's it called? Gord the Rogue?

Anyhoo, my bad...

mystraschosen

First Post
I believe someone mentioned that they would like to see another conan move...well my aching brain struggles to recall the particulars of what I have heard but I do know for sure that a new conan movie is in the works.And this is the part I am not 100% sure about but AI think arnold is going to be in it albeit as a old conan and he has a son in the movies who the film is mainly going to be about.

Klaus

First Post
A D&D movie would HAVE to follow the basic archetypes to the letter. It'd need a strong guy in half-plate armor swinging a longsword, a weak-looking wizard wearing bracers and taking time during breakfast to prepare spells, a tough and wise guy in chainmail wielding a mace and curing damage here and there, and a scrawny-looking guy in leather sneaking behind enemies with a short sword (not Ridley!). Then maybe you can add an athletic guy in studded leather with a bow and you'd be set! :)

Remove ads