D&D 5E Full preview unlocked!

Grainger

Explorer
Along somewhat-similar lines, I thought we were going to get mass-combat rules, and there was an article to that effect on the Wizards site during the playtest.

Hmmm.... now I'm confused... perhaps it was mass combat rules I'm (mis)remembering as being slated for inclusion, and not dominion rules. Ah well, it would be cool to have both, but it doesn't look as if there is much that could come out, the material that actually made it looking so good.

I like what I see, except firearms don't seem to in any way help punch through armor. Thus if you are running a game with 19th century tech, people will still be running around with plate mail and shields instead of dusters and cowboy hats... Likewise your Three Musketeers campaign will also be much more heavily armored than ought to be in-genre.
The easiest solution is probably advantage when attacking those. In terms of the 19th century solution, if it's a steampunk campaign then platemail has fallen out of favour because of steam-powered mechano-plate (use plate mail for based stats).

werecorpse

Adventurer
It's already been noted that the table of contents doesn't actually match the pages that he been provided - that's a little weird.

I am looking for more rules/options for running combat encounters using a grid rather than theatre of the mind. I can't figure out from the table of contents if that sort of stuff is in there. Any clues?

fjw70

Adventurer
It's already been noted that the table of contents doesn't actually match the pages that he been provided - that's a little weird.

I am looking for more rules/options for running combat encounters using a grid rather than theatre of the mind. I can't figure out from the table of contents if that sort of stuff is in there. Any clues?

Combat options on page 264?

Mercurius

Legend
Looks great to me. I do think, however, that people wanting modular options are going to be disappointed. The "DM's Workshop" has some stuff, but at only 27 pages its a small fraction of the book. I don't think we're going to see in-depth treatment of, say, a powers module or tactical combat (3 pages for "Combat Options"). I have a feeling that the bottom line is going to be something like, "You can do anything with 5E - just come up with a house rule and/or hand-wave the whole thing, and we'll support you on that." I have no problem with that, but I imagine those wanting more explicit rules are going to be pissed off.

My favorite part, though, is that there is a chapter called "Creating the Multiverse." I'm also excited about the random dungeon generator, but was hoping for more than 12 pages.

Anyhow, I can't believe we have to wait five more weeks for this thing! I might be cancelling my Amazon pre-order and buying this in store.

Remove ads