D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

hafrogman

Adventurer
@hafrogman
[sblock]- Not that we'll forget them, but please add Jote and the cart to your equipment sheet.
- I was trying to decide if you would need to buy at least one vial of Holy Water in order to meet the material component requirements for Bless and Protection from Good/Evil, but I'm going to stick with RAW and say it doesn't have a cost since it isn't listed.[/sblock]
Donkey (Joté) and Cart added.
I think the bless makes sense because the spell does only ask for a sprinkling, but huh, I'd never noted the M component of Protection from Good/Evil before. It is weird that it doesn't mention a cost. Ruling noted, but feel free to pull the rug out from under me in future if you find I'm abusing the spell. Because I will :D

Egon

First Post
I've got the Poisoner proficiency on my sheet, but I am going to change that. Gives me 250 bucks to play with.

I thought about smith's tools, but damn are they heavy. And when am I going to really use them?

I'll look at spells again, including the ones I already have. It's s good bet that I'll need to purchase components for some of them. I'll do that when I'm at my laptop tomorrow morning.

[sblock]- It looks like you gave Brue +1s to all of her CHA based skills, but it looks like it should be +0
- I'm coming up with 161GP 4SP and 8CP left over based on what you have listed. That's a 150GP differential. Did I miss anything? I think you had mentioned a horse at one point in time.[/sblock]
Fixed the scrivener's error +1 to CHA based skills. Re: you saying Brue should have 150 additional gp left over, you're right. It's another scrivener's error. Although I stated she sold the 100 gp worth of cut sapphires and her chain mail and light crossbow from her starting equipment, and although the additional +150 gp from the sale of those three items is listed on my math at the top of the equipment section, it appears that I neglected to carry forward this balance at the bottom of the sheet in Brue's gp total. So, yes, Brue should have 161 gp.

Prior to her purchase of the four healing potions, however, she'd actually have 361 gp left over. What I would most like to do is not buy the four healing potions, keep the 361 gp, and angle toward Brue saving up for a magical greatsword. She'll sell or trade the Ring of Poison Resistance to make this happen, if such a barter is within the realm of possibility. One of my concerns for Brue is that she won't be able to hold her own in a fight in a party with spellcasters. I'm also concerned we're going to repeatedly encounter creatures resistant to non-magical attack on our journey. Your input here would be invaluable.

Conversely, if you aren't ready for us to have a magical weapon this early on, I totally get that. Frankly, I'd be reluctant to give one out to 4th level characters. If that's the case, Brue is going to give the Ring away to a party member. It's a hateful reminder of Vials and she wants nothing to do with it. Probably she'll attempt to pass the ring to Boddynock, along with an apology for her harsh words. When the time is right. I was saving that for an awww-shucks moment.

Forged Fury

First Post
No-go on the greatsword. Basically, you have to decide between the armor or a magic greatsword of some type. That's what's causing your deficit. With that said, I know what is in the adventure and will generally not put you up against anything you have no way of killing, although some things may require knowledge to figure out how to kill them. If you do end up in combat with something the group has no hope of killing, it should become quickly apparent and other options need to be pursued (flight, negotiation, etc).

As far as efficacy versus the spellcasters, you only really have one full-bore combat caster (Boddynock, even though he currently has no damage dealing offensive 2nd level spells). Lorenzo is entirely support-based and Gnorth has a few combat spells. Carilo is just as mundane as Brue with a smaller damage die. I wouldn't be terribly worried there.

Generally speaking though, I'm going with the DMG advice that magic items are quite rare and not generally available for sale. It basically requires downtime activity to purchase or sell one.

hafrogman

Adventurer
[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] let me know if I went too far with controlling Brue in this last exchange, but I felt it was important both to establishing my character and his efforts (and particular approach) in looking out for Brue. Can't let her mope around like a sullen anti-hero. :D

[MENTION=11146]CanadienneBacon[/MENTION] let me know if I went too far with controlling Brue in this last exchange, but I felt it was important both to establishing my character and his efforts (and particular approach) in looking out for Brue. Can't let her mope around like a sullen anti-hero. :D
Brue is totally susceptible to Lorenzo's attempts to flatter and fluff. In the course of investigating the plague in Mosstone, she was labeled (WRONGFULLY :) ) a grave robber, and folk treated her with suspicion. So you go right on ahead with your bad self and appeal to her baser instinct. She's a freakin' brick and she'll eat it right up.

EDIT: Forgot to clarify that I'm not angling to do the sullen anti-hero thing here. She's a hero, and it's my hope to play her like one. I'll prollie f- it up, though. I don't do hero-types that often in my rp. They come out flat and one-dimensional when I try. Still, giving it a crack here.

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
She is trained in Insight, but maybe Lorenzo is being truthful.

Oh, CB, fun fact... You may not remember this, but the first time you met Vials, he tossed you a copper coin. That was actually him casting Detect Thoughts using the Subtle Spell metamagic. I allowed that to give him Advantage on all of his Deception checks. It's one reason why he seemed so sneaky (well, that and the relatively high CHA and proficiency in Deception). In fact, every time you met him (save the last time), he had cast that spell.

hafrogman

Adventurer
she was labeled (WRONGFULLY :) ) a grave robber, .
Mmmhmm. Wrongfully. Of course.
EDIT: Forgot to clarify that I'm not angling to do the sullen anti-hero thing here. She's a hero, and it's my hope to play her like one. I'll prollie f- it up, though. I don't do hero-types that often in my rp. They come out flat and one-dimensional when I try. Still, giving it a crack here.
I didn't get the impression you were. I just wanted to help out by making BRUE remember she's the hero. :D

Oh, CB, fun fact... You may not remember this, but the first time you met Vials, he tossed you a copper coin. That was actually him casting Detect Thoughts using the Subtle Spell metamagic. I allowed that to give him Advantage on all of his Deception checks. It's one reason why he seemed so sneaky (well, that and the relatively high CHA and proficiency in Deception). In fact, every time you met him (save the last time), he had cast that spell.
This makes me hot under the collar, actually. I hate that gnome. Well played, sir.

Remove ads