Eadric et. al. (The Paladin and his Friends).

grodog

Hero
Sepulchrave II said:
This point is actually addressed directly in the next SH update (hopefully not too far away) - which is why I posted Gihaahia, incidentally. I don't want to give too much away, though :D

I have visions of Mostin wilfully breaking the rules, summoning Gaihaahia, and carefully killing her just to prove that it can be done ;->

DanMcS

Explorer
grodog said:
I have visions of Mostin wilfully breaking the rules, summoning Gaihaahia, and carefully killing her just to prove that it can be done ;->

Mmmph. The rules prohibit summoning. The wizard gets punished if he does it. Does the summoned creature also get dispatched by the enforcer? Because this could be a self-solving problem:
1) Gate in Gihaahia.
2) Use some kind of spell to make yourself invulnerable or unfindable for a couple rounds (might wanna do this before 1, come to think of it).
3) Smirk as the letter of the law forces her to kick her own butt.

:)

Lela

First Post
Olive said:
Read the new SH update...

The letter of the law allows the clavinger/enforcer to interpret as required.
And the Clavinger could likely call in the Enforcer to take care of the upstart Wizard the round before it made himself unidentifiable. It knows what you're planning to do. It knows how you're planning to do it. And it knows how to bring you to justice for it. Boom.

Felix

Explorer
You know, it might not be all that good a thing for Ainhorr to wield Heedless: Heedless is very intelligent, and likely knows that if Ainhorr is killed while holding Heedless, the sword is toast due to that pesky phrase in Death Throes.

So I was thinking, that if the party gains the upper hand in a battle against Ainhorr, wouldn't Heedless challenge him for control and, if he won it, make the balor drop him to the ground?

And it's great to see you posting again Sep!

Caliber

Explorer
Out of cuiousity, how did the talk with the Claviger work out across the table?

Cause it certainly came out awesome across the Story Hour.

Two things regarding Epic Spell development that I enforce:

1) Secondary casters in a ritual may suffer backlash equal to no more than half of the backlash sustained by the primary caster.
2) Ritual spells involving more than one participant may not be [Spontaneous]. I quickly determined that this would get very problematic, when I first allowed DC 0 spells to be cast. Furthermore, I had instituted a ‘dead zone’ in the Spellcraft DC range of 1 to 9 – i.e. unless an epic spell is spontaneous (i.e. DC 0), its DC cannot be less than 10. This may seem rather arbitrary, but I felt that it demarcated what were evolving into two quite distinct forms of Epic Magic.

Nonetheless, Dan exceeded himself with his knack for squeezing every drop of potential from the system.

Mostin’s Accelerating Ritual of Perceptual Magnification

1. Mostin, Nwm, Shomei and Mulissu translate to Faerie in order to benefit from the plane’s enhanced magical trait.
2. Shomei casts a triply empowered endurance on herself, Mostin, Mulissu and Nwm, burning 4 x 8th-level slots. Faerie’s trait further empowers and maximizes the spells. Each participant gains a +12 bonus to Constitution – which translates to 126 hps for 21st level characters. They return to Wyre.
3. Nwm casts this spell:

First Perceptual Transcendence
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 11
Components: V, S, Ritual
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 20-ft radius sphere centred on you
Duration: 20 hours
To Develop: 99,000 gp; 2 days; 3960 XP. Seed: fortify (DC17). Factors: grant additional +62 enhancement bonus to ability score (+124 DC), 1-round casting time (+18 DC), change from touch to target (+4 DC), change from target to area (+10 DC). Mitigating factors: primary caster sustains 42d6 backlash (-42 DC), secondary casters each sustain 21d6 backlash (-63 DC), 3 additional casters contributing epic level slots (-57 DC).

All characters within a 20-ft radius circle centred upon the caster gain a +63 enhancement bonus to Intelligence.

4. Nwm casts heal upon himself, Mostin, Mulissu and Shomei, burning 4x7th- level slots. ("Effectively, the Green absorbs the backlash.")
5. Mostin casts this spell:

Second Perceptual Transcendence
Transmutation
Spellcraft DC: 13
To Develop: 117,000 gp; 3 days; 4680 XP. Seed: fortify (DC23). Factors: grant additional +19 insight bonus to ability score (+114 DC), 1-round casting time (+18 DC), change from touch to target (+4 DC), change from target to area (+10 DC). Mitigating factors: primary caster sustains 42d6 backlash (-42 DC), secondary casters each sustain 21d6 backlash (-63 DC), 3 additional casters contributing 9th-level slots (-51 DC).

All characters within a 20-ft radius circle centred upon the caster gain a +20 insight bonus to Intelligence.

6. Nwm casts heal on all of those present, burning 4x8th-level slots.
7. Mulissu casts this spell:

Third Perceptual Transcendence
Transmutation
To Develop: 117,000 gp; 3 days; 4680 XP. Seed: fortify (DC23). Factors: grant additional +19 luck bonus to ability score (+114 DC), 1-round casting time (+18 DC), change from touch to target (+4 DC), change from target to area (+10 DC). Mitigating factors: primary caster sustains 42d6 backlash (-42 DC), secondary casters each sustain 21d6 backlash (-63 DC), 3 additional casters contributing 9th-level slots (-51 DC).

All characters within a 20-ft radius circle centred upon the caster gain a +20 luck bonus to Intelligence.

8. Nwm casts heal upon Shomei, burning a 9th-level slot; and two cure critical wounds each and two cure serious wounds each upon himself, Mostin and Mulissu.
9. Shomei casts this spell:

Fourth Perceptual Transcendence
Transmutation
To Develop: 117,000 gp; 3 days; 4680 XP. Seed: fortify (DC23). Factors: grant additional +19 circumstance bonus to ability score (+114 DC), 1-round casting time (+18 DC), change from touch to target (+4 DC), change from target to area (+10 DC). Mitigating factors: primary caster sustains 42d6 backlash (-42 DC), secondary casters each sustain 21d6 backlash (-63 DC), 3 additional casters contributing 9th-level slots (-51 DC).

All characters within a 20-ft radius circle centred upon the caster gain a +20 circumstance bonus to Intelligence.

The net gain – a +123 bonus to Intelligence for four casters – comes at the cost of 7 epic slots, 13 ninth-level slots, 8 eighth-level slots and 4 seventh-level slots. Plus a number of lower level spells.

It adds an obscene +61 to the Save DCs of any spells cast by the Wizards.

It also adds +61 to Knowledge (arcana) checks – which, strangely, is more relevant: Knowledge (arcana) is the requisite skill for apprehending the web of motes.

Last edited:

Roman

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
The net gain – a +123 bonus to Intelligence for four casters – comes at the cost of 7 epic slots, 13 ninth-level slots, 8 eighth-level slots and 4 seventh-level slots. Plus a number of lower level spells.

I am in awe!!!! :D :D :D :D Now I understand why the three wizards were so keen in getting NWM involved in their project and can also comprehend NWMs insistence that the resultant power should only be used for divination. I am waiting anxiously to actually see them use this. :cool:

Remove ads