pogre's story hour Zandyrium -episode 66- (5/10/2006) A short update.

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Introduction

Welcome to pogre’s new story hour! Zandyrium is a large city where many cultures collide and is the base for a new set of adventurers. As I write this intrepid group has already surpassed the dreaded fifth level of TPK fame. I cannot promise no future TPK, but there is even more story to tell here than my previous stories. As always, no TPK betting please!

I have added a campaign dictionary. So if you come across an unfamiliar name or place just refer to it to aid in your deciphering script check.

The thumbnail pictures in each episode are links to much larger pictures. I made the thumbs slightly larger this time around for easier viewing. I host all of the pictures on my own gaming site www.pogre.com, as usual. You can also swing by my little corner of the web to grab some free original adventures I posted in PDF format. I hope you enjoy them and be sure to let me know if you used them – that is what truly inspires me!

Readers may find my first adventure of the campaign Micon’s Hideout. By the way one story hour group Scorch’s Story Hour has played this adventure, although Argent Silvermage has yet to post it. If you're not a Dungeon Master do not download it! ;)

Miniature/Model pictures and story hour goodness coming soon!

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 01

Sweat poured down Micon’s face as he concentrated on the ritual. Two zombies stared forward with vacant, lifeless eyes at the wizard’s activities. This ritual would be Micon’s crowning glory, the attestation that he deserved recognition as the greatest of mages. The components had cost him nearly everything: physically, economically, and emotionally - but now it all seemed worth it. Carefully, ever so carefully, the mage traced the last of the symbols on the ground. Six days of constant preparation and attention to the tiniest detail had culminated in this moment. Micon was so close, and then, he stuttered. It was only a momentary lapse, but the mage stumbled over a chant as his concentration failed.

Micon, the rebel wizard, braced himself for the eldritch results of his misstep.

Nothing came.

Micon smirked slightly and exhaled in relief. He prepared to recommence the ritual, but a blinding bright light interrupted, rushing through his mind. Micon reeled around the chamber grabbing at pieces of furniture and tapestry, anything to help maintain his balance. Twirling and shrieking, Micon felt his mind being pulled to pieces and his soul tugged from a negative power. The mage was ensnared in some mad maelstrom and he cried out as he left the world of the living.

Micon awoke. He could not remember much. “What was I doing?” he wondered to himself. Any remembrances were immediately overtaken by an overwhelming hunger rushing over him. A hunger deeper and stronger than any desire he had ever experienced – a hunger for flesh! Micon only dimly understood what had happened and shook in rage at his failure.

128 years later…

“Quit shoving!” Ginny complained to the Dwarf behind her.

“Get your feet moving then,” Mōrguhn countered. “My whiskers will give your backside a rash if you walk any slower.”

There was a smile on the Mōrguhn’s face, he really liked the young human female and she was quite right to be cautious down in these foul sewers. Mōrguhn reflected on how he had come to this spot. Mōrguhn had come to the crown city for an education in arts seldom explored in Buldarvalt. The dwarf wished to pursue the arcane arts and he had been practically laughed out of the Hold.

And so, now the young dwarf was traipsing through the sewers with this odd group…

“There is the source of the explosion,” Ginny whispered back.

Ginny inched her way forward and saw that a large blast had emanated from the sewer wall and the remnants of a human male was pinned beneath a pile of rubble. As the corpse was missing half its head, she safely assumed him to be dead.

“Something blowed ‘dis area up,” the human fighter, Thoren observed. Thoren wielded a huge two-handed sword that looked large even against his impressive frame.

“Nothing gets past you Thoren, old boy,” Wassabe the northern sailor quipped.

The elven ranger Githraldul jumped across the sewer’s effluent to gain a better vantage point over the blasted area.

Underground areas made the ranger very edgy. “What do you see?” he loudly whispered to Ginny.

“I suspect our dead friend here triggered an ancient trap,” Ginny reached down and pulled a pouch from the corpse’s belt. She then opened the pouch deftly and held some tiny tools aloft, “These would indicate he was a thief.”

“What are they?” Githraldul asked.

“Thieves’ tools, and a very nice set too,” Ginny answered sliding the tools and picks into her cape pocket.

It’s amazing, she looks nothing like a thief Githraldul thought.

Justinius the cleric of Gravitas Morte worked his way forward to gain a view of the corpse. Justinius leaned down and said final rites over the man’s body. “He has not been dead long. I suspect the blast we heard in the Greater Market was what killed him.”

The group had minutes before been prowling the markets looking for bargains when the blast had belched forth from the sewer grate. It was Mōrguhn who had agreed with the young vigils* that the group of adventure-seekers should check into what happened. A short trip in the sewer had led them to this scorched scene.

Heinrich, cleric to Siegphorus, looked over Justinius’s shoulder as the cleric of restful death finished a prayer to his deity over the deceased. “Technically,” Heinrich began, “you all realize we have more than fulfilled our civic duty here.”

“This man died trying to break into this place and has courteously set off a very dangerous guardian trap. The least we can do is check it out,” Ginny smiled.

“Agreed!” Thoren stated and boldly walked into the tunnel beyond the explosion.

“Will someone please tell the thug with the big sword where there is one trap there are bound to be more?” Wassabe asked sarcastically.

“I heard ye’” Thoren called back. “I’m waiting. Ginny get yer’ rearend up here!”

“First, I have not heard a consensus among the group,” Heinrich stated loftily. “Second, what about the authorities?”

“Who wants to explore a place formerly guarded by a powerful magical trap?” Ginny asked loudly.

Mōrguhn spoke up, “Heinrich, the structure is sound. You need not fear a secondary collapse.”

“That’s not the point,” Heinrich corrected the dwarf. “We were asked in the market to quickly check out what might have set off such an explosion. We have discovered the source.”

“Hold up Thoren,” Ginny called out. “I’m taking point. Heinrich you go tell the vigils* if you want. The rest of us are heading in.”

“Justinius?” Heinrich asked his fellow cleric.

“It could be,” Justinius paused, “interesting.”

“Oh, very well,” Heinrich said resignedly and followed the rest of the group into the passage.

Ginny called back to the group, “I think the passage is clear of traps. It opens up into some sort of chamber.” Thoren, the human fighter, was clanking along loudly behind Ginny. Ginny turned and said to Thoren, “Could you spare me some space here Thoren. It is really tough to move silently dragging a set of bottles behind me.” Thoren nodded and stopped, allowing Ginny to go forward a few more feet ahead. Ginny continued to edge ahead of the group and slipped into the small chamber. A moment later she came running back past the rest of the passage.

“What is it?” Thoren asked.

“I don’t know,” Ginny replied. “But I’ve done my job, now you do yours.”

Thoren squinted into the darkness and could barely make out a couple of figures. The bipedal creatures stood and Thoren called for them to stop. The fighter then noticed the creatures had wounds that should have killed them already, and the stench of their rotting flesh filled his nostrils.

Thoren, Mōrguhn, and Wassabe charged the undead creatures and managed a few solid shots. Justinius stepped forward. This was the cleric’s moment. Everything he had trained for led to a showdown with the greatest enemy of his deity Gravitas Morte. Undeath was the foulest sin of all and now he would send these cursed beasts away.

“In the name of the Final Rest I banish thee!” Justinius was practically screeching over the din of battle.

The Zombies fought on.

Heinrich also moved into the chamber and held aloft the holy symbol of Siegphorus and called out, “The God of Law and Victory demand your defeat!”

The Zombies fought on.

“Quit preachin’ and start whackin’!” Wassabe yelled at the clerics.

The elven ranger, Githraldul moved up and shot an arrow into one of the Zombies. This came just as one of the monsters managed to slightly wound Mōrguhn. Heinrich charged into the fray with his mace, following Wassabe’s advice.

“By all that is holy from the Father of Eternal Bliss I rebuke thee foul constructs of evil!” Justinius cried out again to turn the zombies.

The Zombies fought on.

Thoren managed to bring his blade down on one of the foes and it fell to the floor with no sign of movement left in it. Their efforts now concentrated on the final Zombie, Githraldul plunked an arrow into it, Mōrguhn and Wassabe also landed shots on it.

Justinius needed to try rebuking the walking corpse one more time; it was a matter of pride now. “Bring the peace of the True God of Lasting Rest upon this foul creature of undeath,” Justinius yelled.

The Zombie fought on.

“Powerful god ye’ got there father,” Wassabe stated as he dodged one of the Zombie’s attacks. Thoren’s blade hit home again and halted the last Zombie.

The group gasped, trying to catch their breath, as the rogue Ginny began looking the chamber over. “Not much here. Only this door they were guarding,” she reported to the group.

Heinrich stood slowly, “We can still go to the authorities. There is no reason for us to pursue this further.”

“Except, we have now come passed a magical explosion trap and two formerly dead guys guarding this very door,” Ginny answered.

“I must continue,” Justinius announced. “The presence of undead changes everything for me. It is no longer my choice, but my duty.”

“Yeah,” Wassabe interjected, “good thing too - we would sure hate to lose ye’, considering how helpful ye’ were in that last scrap, your holiness.”

“My failures do not reflect upon Gravitas Morte,” Justinius retorted.

“That’s a relief. I’d hate fer the old boy to be the laughing stock amongst the gods and all,” Wassabe replied.

Justinius merely shook his head. He doubted whether there was a serious thought in Wassabe’s head.

Ginny announced that the door was not trapped, and Thoren opened the door wide.

To be continued…

*vigils – city watch

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 02

The door opened into a small corridor. Ginny, the female human rogue stepped back to the front of the party and began carefully searching the passage for signs of traps. A door ended the passage about 20 feet ahead and Thoren was constantly urging Ginny to hurry, but she was undaunted in her careful trap checking. The group finally made it to the end of the passage and another small door. Ginny announced the door was not trapped and Thoren swung it open.

The chamber beyond the door had a large broken down table in the middle, a full bookcase, a desk and a chair, and a pair of doors. Justinius went to the bookcase to check the books out.

“Check out some of these titles,” Justinius began, “Keeper of Destiny, The Druids of Lore, Wizard of the Spring Fire, The Shining Dragon, Apprentice of the Mage's Amulet, Twilight of the Summoned, El-Winbin's Spell, and The Heart of Entrope. They all seem pretty badly water-damaged.”

“From the sounds of those titles, that is probably a good thing,” Wassabe quipped.

Ginny checked out one of the doors leading out of the room and pronounced it safe. Mōrguhn steeped over to the door and opened it revealing a small bedroom. Ginny checked out the bed and stand next to it. The rogue found a wooden chest beneath the bed.

Mōrguhn watched patiently as Ginny checked the chest over for traps and picked its ancient lock. “Nothing but some old rotten clothes,” Ginny announced disgustedly.

“Check it for false bottoms,” Githraldul suggested.

“Allow me,” Mōrguhn stepped over to the chest and smashed it to pieces with his weapon. “No false bottoms.”

Finding no egresses from the bedroom, the group returned to the room with the bookcase and opened the remaining door. The door opened up to another corridor leading down to a door. Ginny carefully checked the corridor and found no traps. Opening the door revealed a small storage room full of barrels and crates. Four skeletons rose from the dusty corners and attacked the adventurers.

Thoren immediately charged and smashed one of the skeletons to pieces with his sword.

The rest of the group entered the room. Justinius raised his arms into the air, “The god of Restful Peace rebukes you unnatural evil spawn of negativity!”

The skeletons continued fighting.

Wassabe chuckled.

Heinrich stepped forward and attempted to turn the skeletons as well, “The Angelic Chords of Victory demand your surrender!”

The skeletons fled to the far side of the room. Justinius looked perturbed. Heinrich shrugged his shoulders in a semi-apology to the cleric of Gravitas Morte. Mōrguhn and Thoren wasted no time hacking the mostly helpless skeletons to pieces. The group proceeded to search through the barrels and crates in the room. They mostly discovered rotten food and some oil.

“This is not adding up,” Justinius thought aloud.

“What do you mean? The undead in a food storage room?” Heinrich asked.

“Yes, among other things. What is this whole complex about?” Justinius replied.

“A necromancer has got to eat,” Mōrguhn suggested.

“He must be long gone,” Ginny said. “The foodstuff has been no good for a long time and the water barrels are empty. I cannot find an exit out of here either.”

“But,” Githraldul shoved some large crates to the side, “I have.” The elven ranger pushed a section of wall, revealing a secret door.

Ginny checked the door over for traps and opened it revealing a roughhewn, narrow corridor cut out of the rock and earth. “I do not like the looks of this.”

Mōrguhn stepped into the first part of the corridor, “It looks safe to me. This is good earth. No need to fear a collapse.”

“When was it made?” Heinrich asked.

“It has been here a while,” Mōrguhn answered. “I do not think it is as old as the finished areas we have been going through so far.”

“Do you see a door?” Githraldul asked.

“Nay, it winds out there as far as I can see,” Mōrguhn answered.

A short debate on the marching order for the group to take as they travel down the corridor ensued. A consensus was finally reached and Ginny led the single file group into the passage.

Ginny painstakingly checked every inch of the passage for signs of traps, Patiently, the group plodded along behind her, but after a half mile Thoren spoke up. “There are no traps. Let’s just go.”

“What is your hurry?” Heinrich asked.

“Perhaps you did not see the guy missing half his head due to a trap explosion in the sewer?” Ginny asked sarcastically.

“We’ve found no traps and this is boring as Hell,” Thoren whined.

“You are bored because you are still alive,” Justinius reminded the fighter.

Another couple of hours of slow travel and trap searching continued. Even some of the more cautious members of the group were becoming antsy when Mōrguhn announced he could see the end of the tunnel and a ladder going up. Ginny checked the passage all the way to the end and collapsed at the foot of the ladder. “No traps,” she said quietly and a half-smile crossed her lips. The group found themselves in a 20 feet by 20 feet chamber with a ladder leading 30 feet up to a trapdoor.

Ginny pulled herself up to her feet and began scaling the ladder. She reached the trapdoor and glanced back to her comrades. Heinrich gave her a reassuring nod. She opened the trapdoor and saw a finished stone chamber. There were hints of sunlight dancing around the room and in the far end a lone figure crouched covered by a cape and a large cowl.

The creature at the far end of the room and reveals a mess of rotted entrails protruding from its abdomen. A deep dark, grumbling voice came forth, “The burning hunger consumes me and now you have found me! All of these years of waiting - Either I shall feed or you shall end the miserable existence of Micon the Wizard!”

Ginny immediately ducked down and began heading down the ladder. The unnatural creature dashed across the room and slid to the trapdoor. It reached down and grabbed the rogue’s arm. The group watched in horror as the rogue hung paralyzed on the ladder. The foul stench of undeath wafted down to the group and Thoren, Wassabe, and Mōrguhn began retching.

A pair of Githraldul’s arrows hit home on the foul beast and the creature hesitated in its attacks. Thoren scrambled up the ladder and attempted to pull Ginny down to safety. Thoren heaved mightily, but could not loosen the young woman’s stiffened grip on the ladder. Mōrguhn, like a possessed monkey, climbed over the pair on the ladder and climbed through the trapdoor. His efforts were rewarded with a stiff undead boot to the face. The dwarf tumbled down 30 feet to the ground. A bit of blood trickled out of Mōrguhn’s mouth, as he lay unconscious.

Every time the undead creation poked its head through the trapdoor the sharp arrows of Githraldul greeted it. Thus, the party and their undead enemy stood in a stalemate at either end of a ladder.

Justinius bent over the dwarf and said a prayer, bringing Mōrguhn back to consciousness. Ginny finally recovered from her paralysis. Justinius then spoke to the group, “I must go forward and destroy this abomination. I believe it is hurt, perhaps badly, and a final push might put it to rest. I will lead a renewed effort up the ladder.”

“No, I shall,” Wassabe declared and with cat-like quickness the ex-sailor swung up the ladder as though it were a rigging at sea. The rest of the party scrambled up behind him. Wassabe charged through the trapdoor and was greeted by the cold touch of undeath. It overwhelmed him and he fell to the ground in the mausoleum paralyzed.

Wassabe’s effort and sacrifice had not been in vain. The rest of the party gained a footing in the chamber and renewed the attack on the undead wizard.

Justinius called upon his deity’s powers to rebuke the undead creature and failed.

Thoren waded into battle against the ancient enchanter and hit it solidly a couple of times. The fighter weathered the brunt of the undead creature’s attacks and never hesitated, though his life was bleeding out of him.

Micon, the undead wizard, sensing Thoren’s end as near, readied a killing blow; an arrow whistled through the air and landed with a crack at the base of the Ghast’s skull. It twirled 180 degrees and then fell to the floor facedown. The last of its negative energy left its body and the room was quiet save the heavy breathing of the combatants. Githraldul’s remarkable shot had saved Thoren’s life.

As Wassabe threw off the coils of paralysis, he assisted Ginny in looking around the mausoleum. They quickly found that one of the tombs was open and contained three small gems and six flasks. Justinius approved of taking the materials, as he believed them to be former property of the Ghast.

Mōrguhn went to visit a dwarven armorer to buy a chain shirt.

“Stone and steel,” Mōrguhn greeted the armorer.

“Stone and steel young dwarf,” the armorer replied looking up from his work anvil.

“You are of Buldarvalt then?” Mōrguhn asked knowingly.

“Aye, as you are son of the warrior and charge of Bruk Gahalker,” the armorer let his hammer rest.

“You know of me. That is well. You know of my former trainer. That is well. Who are you son of Delgrod?”* Mōrguhn asked.

“I am Tadko Bladegrinder,” the armorer answered. “I sell the finest armor and some of the best weapons in Zandyrium.

“I need a chain shirt,” Mōrguhn stated. Tadko went to the back of his simple shop and retrieved a dwarf-sized chainmail shirt and placed it on Mōrguhn. The fit was nearly perfect, but Tadko insisted on fitting the piece and having Mōrguhn return in the afternoon to pick it up. A price was settled on and their conversation turned to local gossip.

“There is a merchant who is hiring bodyguards for a caravan south. The pay is very good and may give you enough to pursue your studies,” Tadko stated.

“Bruk must have told you everything,” Mōrguhn commented. Mōrguhn had not forgotten Bruk, his Guardian Arm was well known throughout the world, even this far south. He wondered if Bruk had shared his frustrations with others about Mōrguhn’s intentions to study the arcane arts. His questioning thoughts were answered quickly.

“Enough to know you are leaving the path of the warrior to learn foreign arts,” Tadko replied.

“It is my inclination,” Mōrguhn said defensively.

“It is not a dwarven pursuit, but to each their own. That is the motto of Zandyrium I suspect,” Tadko the armorer resumed the rhythm of his hammer blows, signaling the end of the conversation. Mōrguhn left the shop thinking about the possibilities of being a caravan guard and what it might bring for himself and his new companions.

Relief washed over Justinius as he walked towards the Temple of Gravitas Morte. The simple chapel gave him a sense of solid balance and the comfort of the inevitable. The mourner guards bowed as Justinius entered and the cleric walked towards the office of Granachus, the Primarch. The Primarch had his eyes cast downward studying a parchment on his desk. Justinius waited patiently.

“I sensed you had returned,” Granachus stated slowly.

“I did not exactly leave,” Justinius started to explain.

“You have met the enemy,” Granachus said.

“Yes Father, and in Zandyrium,” Justinius basically blurted out what had happened to the group.

“These are evil portents Justinius. I am studying our peace list and there is something amiss,” the Primarch moved the parchments towards Justinius. “Examine them. What do you see?”

The peace list was one of the most treasured items in the temple. Within the covers of the bound ledger was the record of every death in the city. The numerous taxmen in the city made visits to the temple whenever someone claimed a tax-delinquent citizen had died. No name in the ledger was prima facie evidence that a death had been faked.

“A lot of wealthier folks are dying of late,” Justinius remarked.

“No more than usual,” Granachus remarked.

“I am not sure I understand,” Justinius replied.

“It’s not what is there, it is what is missing,” the Primarch instructed.

“Fewer poor folks are dying?” Justinius said. “And no pauper burials in the last week at all?”

“Knowing what you do about Zandyrium, does that seem likely to you?” the Primarch asked.

“No,” Justinius admitted. “Then where are they going?”

“Exactly,” Granachus answered.

“I will look into it,” Justinius offered.

“I was hoping you would say that,” Granachus replied. “Now, let us retire to the sanctuary and pray to Gravitas Morte for guidance.”

Heinrich reported to the vigils what the group had found and received a commendation for the entire group. He then journeyed back to his temple for fasting and prayers. Wassabe and Thoren learned in the marketplace and a tavern respectively that an abandoned orc fortress lay in the Darkfall Hills, near Fools’ Pass. They also learned that some mercenaries had returned from there after finding a bit of treasure.

The adventurers reconvened as previously arranged in the Greater Market and retired from there to a local pub.

There was a great debate on what course the group should take next. The clerics argued to explore the mysteries of the disappearing poor, and Wassabe and Thoren argued to head to the abandoned orc fortress. It was at that moment that a stranger approached the group and introduced himself, “Greetings travelers. I am Mercutio and I may have some insight to help decide this debate.”

Thoren asked, “You have a choice worthy of us?”

Mercutio smiled and answered, “A challenge, on my life.”

to be continued…

*Delgrod is the chief Dwarven deity

Last edited:

pogre

Legend
Zandyrium
Episode 03

Mercutio sipped from a decanter, “May I?” The robed man motioned toward a chair at the table.

“Please do,” Ginny responded.

Wassabe planted himself next to the robed stranger and spoke up, “You are from the desert aren’t ye’? Saracen-blooded if I hit my guess.” The mariner tapped his nose.

Mercutio nodded politely to Wassabe. Justinius encouraged him to contribute to the debate, but was interrupted by Heinrich, “Why is this his business? This smells of a set-up plot for a roguish band secreted in the woods or some such subterfuge…”

Mercutio smiled at the cleric’s accusations, “Hear me out noble cleric and then decide your course for yourself.” Mercutio described how he had met a group of adventurers a few months earlier that had found an ancient complex below the Darkfall Hills in Fool’s Pass. The group arrived in Zandyrium flush with success and quite a bit of gold for their efforts. They had no one with arcane talents and had asked him to join their ranks. Mercutio agreed, but required a couple of more weeks to finish his studies.

“Studies?” Mōrguhn had perked up at this comment. “You are a wizard then?”

“Of sorts,” Mercutio replied.

“A hedge wizard I would wager – a sorcerer,” Wassabe offered.

“Thou hast most kindly hit it,” Mercutio replied. “My new comrades wanted to scout the complex further before I finished my studies. They promised to return and get me in a fortnight. They never came back.”

“Would you care to accompany us?” Justinius inquired.

“Ironically, I am again in the midst of some studies I cannot leave. Perhaps if you could wait a few weeks…” Mercutio replied.

“I do not have a few weeks worth of gold or patience,” Mōrguhn said. “We should go ahead to the pass and see what we find.”

Mercutio gave a heavy sigh. “Perhaps if you return then. Talk about déjà vu.”

“We go in the morning,” Thoren agreed.

“We could figure out what is going on with the disappearance of the paupers in the city for my temple and by the time we finish Mercutio would be set to join us,” Justinius offered.

“What’s the temple paying?” Mōrguhn asked.

“It would be gratis,” Justinius admitted.

“That settles that,” Wassabe stated.

The following morning the group gathered their provisions and set out. The first few miles were pleasant enough; they passed a number of farmsteads that flourished under the protection of the city. Zandyrium made some efforts to maintain the old imperial road out this far and the adventurers passed a few peddlers and other travelers. The imperial road forked at the Ramblin’ Tavern; to the south was the caravan trail, and to the west, the road through Preygale Forest and on to Fool’s Pass through the Darkfall Hills. The group turned west.

The road west quickly changed character as the city’s maintenance obviously ended at the fork at the Ramblin’ Tavern. The path ran next to the river and at times if the group did not have the riverbank to follow the road would have been difficult to follow.

A couple of miles up the road the sounds of axe on lumber could be heard. The forest opened up and a number of log piles were set up near the riverbank. Just as a group of simple huts came into view a loud voice rang out, “On the East!” Men emerged from the surrounding forest with axes and saws and one was leading a mule with a log chained behind. The lumberjacks eyed the adventurers on their approach up the road.

“Ho there friends,” Thoren yelled out.

A group of the axemen began walking towards the adventurers with their heavy wood axes slung over their shoulders. “Where ye’ be going?” one of them asked.

“We travel to the pass through the Darkfall Hills,” Heinrich stated.

“Gnoll country,” one of the lumberjacks stated. A hard tobacco laden spit into the ground punctuated his statement. Wassabe pulled a pouch from his cloak and offered the woodsman some fresh tobacco. The man gave a dark toothed smile in response and the adventurers were invited into camp for an afternoon tea break.

As the tea began to brew on the fire a few more men emerged from the forest and gathered around introducing themselves to the adventurers. “Afternoon Mr. Gramge,” one of the men called out to an approaching man leading a pair of mules to the camp.

“Hello,” Mr. Gramge replied. “Travelers?” he asked.

“Aye, they are heading for the pass,” the tobacco chewer replied.

“The pass is well named,” Mr. Gramge commented looking the group over. His eyes came to rest on Ginny, “Whose slave?” he asked.

Ginny looked to Wassabe, not quite sure who the man was referring to. Wassabe spoke up quickly, “I will take 200 crowns for her and not a copper less.”

“I am not a slave!” Ginny protested loudly as she realized she was the person in question.

Wassabe smiled widely, “Not yet, but there is an offer on the table.”

Ginny slapped Wassabe and the men gathered around the tea fire howled with laughter. Even Mr. Gramge smiled, “No offense m’Lady. Usually a woman traveling with a group of men in these wilds is a slave or a whore.”

“I know I was hoping for the latter,” Wassabe spoke up with a smile.

Ginny reached over and slapped the mariner again. Howls of laughter again came from the group. “I am no whore!” a flustered Ginny protested.

“No, no of course you aren’t my dear,” Heinrich reassured her. He turned to Mr. Gramge and said, “One of your men called this area Gnoll country. What do you know of the surrounding fauna?”

“I don’t know much about fauna, but there is a lot of different critters running around these woods,” Mr. Gramge responded.

“Orcs and Gnolls,” one of the Lumberjacks offered.

“Ogres,” another stated.

“Yes, and more,” Mr. Gramge concluded. “This forest gets pretty wild to the west and north of here. The Darkfalls are even worse.”

“What do you know of Fool’s Pass?” Justinius asked.

“Like I said earlier – it’s well named. A dangerous place to be sure. I have never been there and plan to keep it that way. I doubt that you will encounter much civilized traffic west or north of this spot,” Mr. Gramge responded.

Mr. Gramge rose to his feet and addressed the adventurers, “You are welcome to stay the night here, but we must finish the day’s work.” The lumberjacks rose on his cue.

“We must push on, but thank you for your offer,” Justinius replied. Wassabe shook hands with several of the lumberjacks and goodbyes and well wishes were exchanged. The adventurers slung their packs and headed back for the trail.

Mōrguhn moved up and walked next to Wassabe. He whispered to the former mariner, “If ye’ call her a whore again, I’ll gut ye’.”

Wassabe looked down on the dwarf’s grim countenance with genuine surprise and said, “No need for concern Mōrguhn, I like her well enough. It was a jest and she at least is smart enough to realize such. You, however, have proved dumb twice: thinking I leveled a genuine insult at her and threatening someone who could carve you like a fresh cooked foul.”

Mōrguhn’s penetrating gaze did not change and he said in an almost whispered voice, “Next time you say it, grab yer’ steel, ‘cause I’ll be coming.” The dwarf allowed the mariner to move ahead.

Wassabe smiled as he walked along. He knew the dwarf was deadly serious. Most noble – I like him, he thought. He chuckled softly as he knew his admiration was not mutual on Mōrguhn’s part.

Later in the afternoon the group came across a horse drinking from the river. The horse was wearing a saddle and had a full set of tack. A careful inspection revealed the mark of the Emperor of Zandyrium. The rider was nowhere to be found.

“I will lead him,” Thoren offered and took the horse by the reigns.

As the party discussed the mystery of the riderless horse, the sun began to dip low. All agreed to pitch camp near the river and watches were divided amongst them.

During the third watch, a few hours before the dawn, Githraldul saw a large shape move across the moonlit road and go down to the river. Githraldul alerted his partner on watch, Heinrich, and they began to gently waking the other members of the party up. Githraldul snuck down to the river to take a closer look. There he saw what appeared to be a great bear, but as it turned towards the moon it became obvious it was something more.

The owlbear seemed to sniff at the gentle night breeze. Githraldul hunched further down to avoid detection. The Owlbear, apparently satisfied nothing was amiss, resumed drinking from the river. In short order, the beast had its fill and eventually lumbered back into the forest. Githraldul made his way back to camp.

Githraldul reported his sighting to the group and the remainder of the early morning was spent discussing the group’s course of action. Githraldul wanted to track the beast down and kill it. Heinrich argued such a hunt would be pointless and extremely dangerous. The group continued the conversation while breaking camp and finally Heinrich acquiesced to the hunt.

As dawn fully broke into morning light Githraldul quickly found the owlbear’s trail. Like a possessed hound the ranger began tracking the beast. Often the Elf would get too far ahead of his companions and they would call for him to slow down. Githraldul hesitated in the afternoon and motioned for his compatriots to be silent. The group assumed the ranger has found the owlbear, but he had discovered something far stranger.

Ahead, in a clearing was an ornate fountain, but was immediately clear that there was something not quite right about the fountain. Cautiously, the group approached the fountain more closely. The outward appearance of the fountain gave all signs of being benign, but the cloud of flies and bloodstained grass around the white structure indicated otherwise. A body was floating face down in the pool of water.

Justinius read final rites to Gravitas Morte over the stinking corpse and with the aid of a pair of dead tree branches dragged the body out of the water. It was an Elven Maiden. Justinius determined she had been dead about four days and had a large twisted spear wound in her abdomen.

Heinrich inspected the fountain and determined it was dedicated to Rhylya, goddess of animals, growth, motherhood, and nurturing. Something about the carvings and prayers on the fountain seemed sinister to the cleric, but he just could not put his finger upon it. He announced to the group, “I do not like this. There is something very tainted here.”

“One thing is clear,” Githraldul stated, “the Owlbear did not like it either. It skirted around this clearing.”

“Look here Githraldul,” Ginny called out to him. “Perhaps this is where our horse came from?” as Githraldul moved to her position, she pointed to some hoof prints.

“Not likely,” the elf responded, “these prints were made by an unshod hoof. Does look like a horse though, at least an ungulate of some sort.”

“Let’s get out of here,” Wassabe suggested. “This place gives me the creeps.”

The group left the clearing only after Justinius had buried the maiden.

Trailing the owlbear Githraldul again halted near a huge walnut tree. The ranger pointed high into the foliage at a large matted nest poised in a Y between two massive branches. “There’s its lair.”

“I say we burn the rigging and flush him out,” Wassabe suggested.

“Rigging?” Ginny asked.

“He means the tree I think,” Githraldul answered.

“Aye, smoke the varmit out,” Wassabe confirmed.

“What if there is something valuable and flammable in its nest?” Ginny asked.

“Fair enough, I’ll climb this other tree to have a look,” Wassabe suggested.

“I will,” Githraldul volunteered and quickly scaled the tree with his bow slung across his back. Looking down into the nest, Githraldul could see the huge creature resting. He started to look down at the other adventurers when a noise below startled him.

Thoren had tied the horse up to a nearby branch and when the fighter turned to leave the horse, it whinnied. Githraldul looked frantically back at the nest. The owlbear was stirring, but it was not clear whether the beast was awoken by the horse’s noise or not. The ranger decided to take no chances. He took off his bow and notched an arrow. Githraldul let the arrow go and it struck home.

The owlbear roared in pain and stood in its nest. The size of the thing nearly shocked Githraldul. With uncanny deftness, the owlbear swung over the side of the nest and began climbing down.

“Incoming!” Githraldul shouted as he loosed another arrow that narrowly missed the owlbear.

As the owlbear reached the base of the tree Mōrguhn and Thoren charged it.

Thoren hit the beast with a great blow with his two-handed weapon, but the owlbear appeared unaffected. Mōrguhn struck his weapon deeply into the beast’s leg, nearly knocking it down. The owlbear howled turned to the dwarf, hit him with both claws and pulled him into his gaping beak. Tearing flesh from the dwarf’s neck it discarded Mōrguhn like yesterday’s rubbish. The rest of the adventurers shot missiles at the owlbear, but it fought on.

Heinrich sprinted up to the tree’s base to try and help Mōrguhn. Meanwhile, the owlbear unleashed a terrible attack on Thoren, shredding the fighter’s chest. Thoren stumbled backwards and fell to the ground unconscious. The sick realization that he was facing the beast alone hit Heinrich. The cleric pulled out his heavy mace and charged.

Heinrich’s heavy mace hit home, but the owlbear withstood the attack. Missiles continued to fly at the owlbear from the other adventurers, but not enough hit home to save the cleric from the beast’s rage. The owlbear set upon Heinrich like a famished wolf and one great swipe from its claw sent the cleric spinning to the ground bleeding and unconscious.

The owlbear looked up as a crossbow bolt hit it in the abdomen. The shooter, Justinius, stood before it. The owlbear lowered its head and charged the cleric of Gravitas Morte with its wings flapping. Justinius dropped his crossbow and pulled out a hand weapon. Gravitas Morte, if now is my time make it glorious! Justinius prayed. The cleric braced himself for the owlbear’s attack.

“Run, damn ye’, run!” Wassabe called out.

To be continued…

Last edited:

Old One

First Post
Hooray!

"Pogre's back and there's gonna be trouble...hey la, hey la...Pogre's back!"

Good to see you in the DM's chair again. Hopefully things will go well...er...better than the last time ;)! Is this the same Heinrich? Did he find religion or something :confused:?

Anyway, glad to see the best illustrated SH has returned.

~ Old One

BSF

Explorer
Hooty Hoo!

Pogre is posting a new Story Hour. Most excellent! Glad to see these starting to come in Pogre. I can't wait to hear what happens with the group. :D

ledded

Herder of monkies
Yay! A new Pogre Story Hour. The pics are fabulous, and the story is kicking off nicely.

Glad to see you found some more meat, er, material for the ol' TPK Story grinder... :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases