• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ceramic DM Winter 07 (Final Judgment Posted)

maxfieldjadenfox said:
Yes, yes, we've all had our butts kicked by Sialia. But it's Rodrigo I'm gunning for. Hear that Rodrigo, with your swarthy good looks and your smooth style? :] I'm out for blood this time. Consider yourself slapped with the gauntlet of slapping.

Idle flattery will not earn you a reprieve. And if you're going to hit me with the gauntlet of slapping, please, not in the face. We wouldn't want to blemish my swarthy good looks, would we?

I was hoping not to face you again this time. Not that I'm afraid, mind you, but I was looking forward to beating someone new. :p

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Idle flattery will not earn you a reprieve. And if you're going to hit me with the gauntlet of slapping, please, not in the face. We wouldn't want to blemish my swarthy good looks, would we?

I was hoping not to face you again this time. Not that I'm afraid, mind you, but I was looking forward to beating someone new. :p

Not so fast, Mr. "I beat you but the whole competition got erased so nobody can look back and see that it was a gross miscarriage of justice..." This time, you're going down!
(that goes for you too, Pirate Cat.) :cool:

maxfieldjadenfox said:
Not so fast, Mr. "I beat you but the whole competition got erased so nobody can look back and see that it was a gross miscarriage of justice..." This time, you're going down!
(that goes for you too, Pirate Cat.) :cool:

Hmm..are you confessing that you're the one responsible for the Great Post Fire of '06?

Anyway, our round on Alsih2o's boards still exists, despite your efforts to wipe it out, too!

maxfieldjadenfox

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
Hmm..are you confessing that you're the one responsible for the Great Post Fire of '06?

Anyway, our round on Alsih2o's boards still exists, despite your efforts to wipe it out, too!

Pshaw. You know what a technotard I am. No way I could pull off something as monumental as the great post fire. And I prefer to think of your Quiet Cool win as an abberation. :p

tadk

Explorer
Quietcool counts as far as I am concerned
Perhaps my writing will stand the tests this time
At least I put up a struggle

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
We wouldn't want to blemish my swarthy good looks, would we?
You accidentally spelled that with an extraneous 's' and 'h'. If you're going to be a writer, you should take note of typos!

yangnome

First Post
OK, we have 12 contestants, which is enough to run this thing. We are still looking for one judge.

As for the thread, I intend to run the competition in this thread. I'll edit my first post (and post a note at the bottom of the thread) as we move along. If anyone knows anybody that would be up for judging this, please let me know. We also have room for two more contestants if anyone would like to throw their hat in the ring. If we only get one more, they'll have to be standby.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm not a judge, but if I may, I'd like to say a few words about competing from back when I used to judge.

1. If you sign up here to compete, write your stories. All of them. Two days into your three day writing time, you're going to panic and try to find some way out of the contest. In doing so, you'll consider finding an excuse or not showing up on time to post it. Please don't do this. By joining the challenge, you're making a commitment to your competitors, who are also sweating bullets trying to write. If you default for ANY reason, you do them a huge disservice and cheapen their win.

2. It's okay if you aren't happy with it, post your stories. I'd much rather see a partially finished or unedited story posted (with that note) than nothing at all if a competitor runs out of time. Never post nothing, always post something -- and when you hit the point when you realize that you really have to write, often the ideas start coming fast and furious.

3. Editing takes time. I've found that it really helps to run a spellchecker over the story, and I always read mine out loud to myself before posting. Hearing the cadence helps me find awkward sentences. When you're done, put it down and come back to it later. Leave a couple of hours to edit.

4. Add manual paragraph breaks. MS Word adds paragraph breaks for you, usually, but they don't copy over to here. You need to add hard paragraph breaks and lines between paragraphs yourself. You aren't allowed to edit your story once you post it, but a useful trick is to find an old post of yours in another thread and edit that post, pasting in your story and seeing how it looks. If it looks great, remove it from that old post and paste it in to this correct thread.

5. If you sign up here to compete, write your stories. All of them. I said this before, but holy cow is it worth repeating. :D

FickleGM

Explorer
Thanks for the advice, Kevin. I'll admit that I am a bit nervous, having failed to produce much of anything for NaNoWriMo over the last two years (the only two years that I have tried it).

At the same time I am excited, because this is the sort of competition that will benefit me.

Good luck to everyone.

Remove ads